Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Default What to do with my .303?

I inherited an old No1 a while back and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Its a pretty crude sporter with no collector value at all, So far I've left it as is and used it as a rough duty "just in case" camp rifle and its a pretty good fit for this job, but part of me wants to make it into something that I will actually put to good use in the hunting season.

I'd sort of like to cut down the barrel and drill and tap it for a Williams sight or scope mount, but then again, it shoots pretty good the way it is and I don't know that its worth putting any money into... opinions?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Bushleague;3440675]I inherited an old No1 a while back and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Its a pretty crude sporter with no collector value at all, So far I've left it as is and used it as a rough duty "just in case" camp rifle and its a pretty good fit for this job, but part of me wants to make it into something that I will actually put to good use in the hunting season.

I'd sort of like to cut down the barrel and drill and tap it for a Williams sight or scope mount, but then again, it shoots pretty good the way it is and I don't know that its worth putting any money into... opinions?[/QUOTE

If you reload get some .312 hornady bullets and do up some loads. If you don't reload I find the silver PowerPoint box Winchester seems to be the most accurate 303 shells. I did a test between Remington and Winchester and Winchester won at 100m by 4" in a five shot group. Best PowerPoint group was 2". Don't cut the barrel. I have ran a ball bearing in a 1/2 drill and 'recrowned' the end of the barrel with success. I did this due to not having anything to loose on a sporter that is worth 150 bucks. You mentioned Wiliams sights, by the time you got that on the gun you have doubled what the gun is worth. I like to bed the back bearing surface of the forstock to the socket to 'sturdy things up also I tend to drop in a waxed piece of paper between the barrel band and the barrel to take up some slack...... All what I mentioned with the exception of the ammo was basically free. The reason I mentioned all that is why having a gun that isn't worth anything fun to have around. No I would sink money into it but I would screw around with it until it's your main hunting gun cause they will shoot eventually. That's what I did with mine now I got a whole bunch of beaters to fiddle with when its -30.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 PM

I made my old mk4 into a rough duty quad/truck/trapping gun. Cut barrel down to 18.75" re-crowned and mounted a front sight ramp and blade sight. My rifle has a flip peep sight with markings for 300 and 600 I filed my sight to use the 300 for dead on at 100 yds the 600 end up being very close to 200 yd zero. Next I mounted a scope base I had kicking around on the forearm of the stock so that my stteamlight can be mounted to the rifle. ( just happens that a set of 1" rings is the perfect fit around the light). The QD ring allows the light to go on our off in a jiffy and the beam hours my front sight just enough to light it up and the main beam lights the would around in a way of extreme brightness. I am aware that discharging a firearm after dark is illegal but since big mean critters don't always come around camp in the day light it's worth it to me to have that bit of insurance. Finally I drilled and tapped the barrel just in front of the receiver for another short base and can mount a small red dot I have kicking around. The base sits low enough that it does not get in the way of the irons but I'm also able to put a holo graphic red dot on in seconds if wanted. Because of the barrel taper I could not find a factory rail top fit and allow the use of a full sized scout scope( without major shimming) and the standard scope mount for the mk4 requires the bridge for peeps to secure it I opted out of making a full scope mount an option. Other than it still being a bit heavy I love this rifle as a rough duty gun.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post

If you reload get some .312 hornady bullets and do up some loads. If you don't reload I find the silver PowerPoint box Winchester seems to be the most accurate 303 shells. I did a test between Remington and Winchester and Winchester won at 100m by 4" in a five shot group. Best PowerPoint group was 2". Don't cut the barrel. I have ran a ball bearing in a 1/2 drill and 'recrowned' the end of the barrel with success. I did this due to not having anything to loose on a sporter that is worth 150 bucks. You mentioned Wiliams sights, by the time you got that on the gun you have doubled what the gun is worth. I like to bed the back bearing surface of the forstock to the socket to 'sturdy things up also I tend to drop in a waxed piece of paper between the barrel band and the barrel to take up some slack...... All what I mentioned with the exception of the ammo was basically free. The reason I mentioned all that is why having a gun that isn't worth anything fun to have around. No I would sink money into it but I would screw around with it until it's your main hunting gun cause they will shoot eventually. That's what I did with mine now I got a whole bunch of beaters to fiddle with when its -30.
Mine shoots both Winchester and Remington 180 grains into a 2.75" group, I've already bedded it and I will try a pressure point in the fore stock next. I already have the Williams sight, it cost me about $40 shipped and I would do the D&T myself. I haven't put it on yet because removing the rear sight on the No1 appears to either require some very careful work with a grinder... and destroying the rear sight, or removing the front sight... at which point I may as well cut down the barrel... then maybe mount a scope...

So even though I have the Williams sight in my possession, installing it feels like it might be the first step in a string of modifications... should I decide to do so.

I agree having a gun that is worth nothing around is pretty fun, and I've even come to enjoy the challenge of trying to shoot to the guns potential with the open sights.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-12-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 AM

I put a scope mount, scope and synthetic stock on mine a while back. The scope mount was from cabelas and I didn't have to drill or tap. Direct fit. Attaches to the swivel points on the rear sight. Was originally a hand me down rifle but have seen no reason to get a new one yet as it shoots straight still. Love these tough rifles
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Mount a big wide butt stock and call it a survival canoe paddle. Then if you lose it you're only out one old oar.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 PM

I made one of these for my Bubba-field, works well.

http://303british.com/id32.html
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sell it to me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sell it to me
Because it was given to me by my Father in law I don't feel that I can sell it, besides, every Canadian should own at least one Lee Enfield.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

Default What to do with my .303?

Give it to the neighbor. The one that his dog craps on your lawn. Better to get even, than mad.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 AM

You may not agree with my suggestion,

but it put an end to my 303 keyholing problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19970825_105131.jpg (62.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I put a scope mount, scope and synthetic stock on mine a while back. The scope mount was from cabelas and I didn't have to drill or tap. Direct fit. Attaches to the swivel points on the rear sight. Was originally a hand me down rifle but have seen no reason to get a new one yet as it shoots straight still. Love these tough rifles
His is a no1
Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
You may not agree with my suggestion,

but it put an end to my 303 keyholing problem.
Mine doesn't keyhole, it doesn't shoot like my old Swede did though. I think of all the military surplus rifles I've had anything to do with, the old M-96's consistently shot the best.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Because it was given to me by my Father in law I don't feel that I can sell it, besides, every Canadian should own at least one Lee Enfield.
True

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...