Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 11:52 PM

Default need some help

looking for some out side knowledge. i just got my wife started hunting this year wanted her to knockdown some birds with me. So i shortened the stock on my old savage to shorten the LOP for the mrs. but she says the length is good but the weight is to much for her to shoot comfortably. so plan B was to ressurect the old bolt action 20 gauge. she shot it 3 times says it kick too bad. anyone eles have a mrs with this problem and how can i remedy it?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 AM

Does it have a good recoil pad? There are also some good recoil pads that you wear on your shoulder. Just Google shooting vests.

You could try to add some weight in the stock so it will reduce the recoil but not affect her as much when she brings the gun up. Would make the balance a little weird but if it works for her that is the important thing.

Also is she shooting the lightest 20 gauge load?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM

she has a uses a she apparel upland vest and use #6 shot 2 3/4" 7/8 oz shot and the 20 gauge is a mossberg stevens 185k-a and i have her shooting it at ic not full. we had to switch out butt plated for length issues.