Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Post Back from 1st hunt ever.

Well I returned from my first 4 day hunt on Tuesday. I have to admit that I enjoyed every aspect of it! Since it’s slow here @ work, I’ll go into some more detail.

Day1
Uncle took me to the location near Elk River campground near the Brazeou River. We set up camp, and I attempted to sight my rifle with a few shots. I acquired a Browning 308 with a scope (hand me down from a relative). The scope seemed to be off to the left, so we adjusted it, and then shot again. My shot was maybe an inch off the target, so we thought it’s good to go.
That evening around 5, we headed out. My uncle showed me a pretty active game trail, so we followed it for awhile. I saw a white-tail about 120 yards ahead, so I loaded my rifle and took a shot. Turns out I missed him. I thought it was kind of strange because I had a perfect lung shot...but I saw my bullet lodged into the tree beside it… How I missed...I don’t know...

Day 2
Woke up early and hiked a good 10km. During that hike in the woods I saw about 3 white-tails, but due to my shooting skills the prior day, I declined to give it another go at 150 yards.
After 4:30 we hopped on a qwad, and my uncle showed me a wallow and a salt lick, so I set up a mini blind and waited near the lick. I couldn’t help but notice a rancid smell in the air, so I decided to get a little closer to the source…Turns out somebody gutted a deer and left its guts in the middle of the wallow. I figured it was probably 2 days old, so my chances of staking out this area were not in my favor for more deer.

Day 3
Woke up, got out of the trailer, and lone behold! A white-tailed deer is staring at me about 75 yards away. I quickly grab and load my rifle and the deer moves back in the woods. I found him about 80 yards from me, so I lined him up. The deer had a tree right in front of him, so I waited till he turned, then I shot! Well to my surprise it ran away...I raced up to the sight, looking for blood...couldn’t find a thing, then I look at that damn tree...and you guessed it...my bullet grazed the side of it. FML.
That evening I was sitting in waiting near a clearing for a deer to pop out. I suddenly heard a twig snap behind me, I quickly turn around only to see a GIANT bull moose looking right at me! This thing made a horse look small; it also made me pretty concerned since its only 50 yards away. After about 3 more minutes of staring, Bullwinkle finally bumbled back into the brush. I sure wish I had a tag for that!!

Day 4
Walked forever, saw nothing, packed up and left.

I’m starting to question the accuracy of my rifle though. I don’t think I’m pulling when I shoot & I really do not want to go out again until it’s perfect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default buck fever

they call it buck fever take a deep breath in breath out half the air and squeeze the trigger it just takes practice the first one is the hard one after that youre laughing there are people who can take the center out of a twoonie at two hundred yards but miss anything with fur at 40 lol keep trying
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM

sounds like a great time! and as for your rifle, i would go out and sight it in again to double check the zero (i usually sight in at 150 yards with my 270, and i make sure i have a very solid rest) and once it is where you like it, i would just go out and shoot it. maybe put a case of rounds through it so you get comfortable with the gun. other than that you should be good to go.

good luck!

P.S. i missed on my first couple shots at deer too when i first started hunting, its a nerves thing!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Please do not take this as bashing as that is not my intention but a rifle should be sighted in if at all possible long before you get to an active hunting area. I have had occasions where people have blasted away close to where I'm hunting and its disconcerting to say the least. If you drop your rifle or suspect it during a hunt by all means fill your boots but the courteous way is be prepared before you go. Good luck and keep having fun. Jitters get to everyone in different ways. I've hunted in that area about ten years ago.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Default shooting tricks

Number one: Go buy some cheap 308 ammo and shoot alot of it to get used to the kick. Most guys are unconsciously scared of a big gun.

Number two: Learn to shoot well before season, by going to a gun range a number of times. Start shooting close in from sand bags, sitting. Maybe the Scope has damaged elevator springs and is bouncing the crosshairs everywhere. Maybe not.

Number three: Try and find a rest in the field to shoot from. Whether it be leaning against a tree, sitting with a log as a rest, lying down with a jacket under the barrel, sitting position with your elbows on your knees, etc.

Number four: If a standing position in the field is all you can do, stick your trigger finger arm / elbow out at 90 degrees from your body. This is a German army shooting tactic, and it steadies your shoulder incredibly. Alot of Russians in the second world war would agree.

Number five: Don't think you can point cross hairs in standing position. try moving the cross hairs left to right or up and down SLOWLY over the vitals, and pull the trigger as you cross the point you want to shoot at.

Number six: As strange as this sounds, do not focus on the cross hairs, focus on the animal. try to look "through" the animal. You will be inadvertantly focussing on the spot with the cross hairs.

Best of luck,

Drewski
Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Sounds like a fun hunt. With some cheap scopes the recoil of your rifle can change them buy a quality scope, it is well worth the cash.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs up

Sounds like my last hunt.

But seriously, I'm glad you had a great time. Good on ya,

Now what to do to make the next hunt more successful?

Shoot that rifle.

Yup like kirbstomps, and Drewski Canuck say, shoot a lot.

Get really comfortable shooting that rifle.

Don't worry about the Buck fever. Just do as deer crazy says and you will be able to make that first shot. From there it gets better.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Like the others have said, shoot your rifle LOTS. Practice shooting under field conditions- if you're at the range try to stay away from the bench. Lay prone, kneel, or lean on a post (to simulate a tree). Practice while you're uncomfortable b/c you never know what you may encounter in the field.
Also, try doing some exercises while practicing. Get breathing hard, get the heart rate up. It'll simulate a hump up a big hill, or the buck fever pounding in your chest.
In a nutshell- practice, practice, practice AS IF IT WAS REAL
Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 AM

I'd be checking the accuracy of the rifle firstly.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burblecut View Post
The scope seemed to be off to the left, so we adjusted it, and then shot again. My shot was maybe an inch off the target, so we thought it’s good to go.
My thinking is that this is when you pulled your shot. Your scope was still off, but you pulled in the direction of the target, making you think it was accurate.
Never underestimate buck fever. Even the toughest hardcore experienced hunters still get it from time to time.

All in all, I'm glad your first experience hunting was a positive one even though you came home empty handed. That is what it's about. Takes some guys a long time to learn that.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I'd be checking the accuracy of the rifle firstly.
X2 I would be heading to the range and making sure the gun is or is not the problem. Put it on the bench and work out to 200 from 25 or 50 if you need to. Many guys as stated can shoot well at the range, put the crosshairs on fir to take a life and it is a whole new ball game. I remember the first deer I shot like it was yesterday, the rush and excitment are unreal. you need confidence, and that comes with practice, lots and lots of practice. Plus as mentioned you are shooting a large caliber, if you can get your hands on a 243, 270 or even a 7mm08 and shoot. My buddy is a great shot with a 243, and a 270, give him my 300win and he doesnt hit paper. He is waiting for the kick and pulls it everytime.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Confidence

Having the confidence and the belief that you will make the shot every time is key.
Have confidence in your rifle and your scope. Practice right. Make it count every time. One shot. One kill!

When I was young I saw my uncle shoot a pop can at 200meters. I knew one day I would own that 300. It would be mine. O yes. It would be mine.
After a few years I upgraded the scope to the best that I could afford.
I don't think I have ever missed an animal since aquiring that Parker Hale 15 years ago..

How are you at mental imagery? Don't discount it. People have made a living at teaching it. Books have been written on the subject.
Athletes use it to achieve success.
It takes some training but once you master it, you can do anything.
Envisioning your shot, seeing the animal go down, see yourself walking up to it, your emotions?
Ok, some will think I'm crazy.
Some of us do this without even realizing it.
How good do you want to be?
Dac
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM

I totally agree with Dac on the technique of visualization.
This year I was "practicing" when I was hunting, imagining where I might see a deer, and snapping my rifle to the ready position, picking a leaf, branch, stump etc, as my target. (no, I didn't "scope" any of you guys)
My 2 hunting partners were laughing at me, but when a doe came out 150 yds behind us...I had my 1st supplemental tag filled within two seconds. Muscle memory pretty much took over, and I had no anxiety about the shot.
I'm positive this helped big time, and I'll continue to do this. It helped for goose hunting also.
This is in addition to having your rifle sighted of course lol.
cheers
HH