Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Exclamation moose rut?

i know they are rutting right now, but with this warm weather do you think they will rut hard or what are your thoughts?

Also since I wont be able to get out this weekend but next for sure i think the weekend of the 17th do you think theyll still be coming into calls?

any tips on calling you could give me?
thanks
bassett.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Warm weather during the moose rut has never been good to me Basset. I'm sure they must rut regardless but it can be tough hunting. Hunting the very early morning and late evening is about all you can do. If it stays warm the whole rut I've had better luck hunting afterwards. They seem to leave the water in search of food and if you can figure out where their going you can find them there for years to come.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 PM

The bull my dad shot was shacked up with 2 cows and was keeping a close eye on them. We didnt give him much chance to show any rut activity before we introduced him to 165gr TSX.

The warm weather definatly doenst help I've found, but stick to early mornings and late evenings and things start to get a bit more active.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Oct 17 is certainly not too late. Two years ago I called in a decent 3 1/2 year old bull on Oct 22. I remember the exact date because it was my wife's and my aniversary. That bull came from over 1/2 mile away and was cranked up like I've never seen before. He was riping up tree, snorting and somthing I've never heard before but he was giving a loud exhaling sound much like a whitetail doe does but VERY much loader and deeper in sound. On a perfectly calm evening and in large heavy trees it sounded awsome. That was Oct 22 so I'm sure you could have called him for another week or so after that date. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Default The rut

This time of year the rut is full on or waning depending where you are.I came home last Wed and at that time she was full on..But even after the rut I have never seen a moose that wouldn't be interested or at least slow down and take a look..Young Bulls..Did very well this year...Hit her right on.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM

I've found when they are rutting and it warms up they still grunt/call but its low key. Keep your ears open, they are hard to hear but still out there.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Moose on the Range

We had this 30 or so inch bull come right at us down the 350 yrd range in Drayton Valley tonight. We'd been sitting letting our barrels cool down btwn groups for about two minutes. He came grunting down the range to within 40 yrds of several of us at the firing line, realized we weren't what he was looking for and walked right between our trucks towards the locked gate when I got the attached picture. He was quite skinny and had a bad limp, probably been recently worked over by a bigger bull. He was soaked in sweat and stunk to high heaven. Pretty cool experience, last week we had a black bear sow and two cubs on the range, this week a bull moose. Gotta love a range down along the north sask!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web range moose.jpg (128.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM

I think it has been on for a little while

Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 AM

I belive the rut goes on no matter what,gets to warm it happens at night,,so as stated in earlier threads early morning and late evening are the best times.