Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 AM

how do get $440 a tire you have shipping and duty to pay as well ?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree with you. Used to like dealing with you in Airdrie when I lived down there. If all tire purchases become an online deal you will have to order tires and rims at the same time because there will be no shops left to mount your tires. Personally I have checked out these Tire Rack deals a number of times. Even when the exchange was one to one, it was about break even when you figured in shipping and $40 a tire to mount and balance them. Last spring I was in the States and checked out buying tires. Stopped at 8 stores to check prices. Most tire stores worked out to be more than buying up here, before the exchange was even applied. None would have been cheaper. Add to that having to do your warranty work remote and it really isn't worth the hassle.

I wish I could find a great Tire shop in Edmonton/St Albert that matched your place. So far, Canadian Tire has had great prices on Duratracs 9$275 for 235-85-16s) and at least the one here in St Albert has had good service and done good work so far.
You must of not looked very hard in the states. I was saving about $600-$800 per set of tires I purchased in the states when our dollar was close to par. That was with border storage fees and taxes/duty fees added on. This was for 35" mud tires so maybe truck tires have more mark up here? I am sure it is not quite as good of a deal now that our dollar is worth nothing.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Saving money is saving money. The best price gets my buck. I'm tired of knowingly getting ripped off.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Saving money is saving money. The best price gets my buck. I'm tired of knowingly getting ripped off.
What constitues the best price though? When you buy a pack of gum, sure I get it. But when you buy an item that also requires skill sets for service, as well as back up support, pricing is not quite as black and white.

I prefer to spend a bit more up front if required to get a better completed job and know that if issues crop up down the road I will have help that is greater than the savings I would have received from the cheaper guy.

My mechanic is like that. He is not the cheapest hourly rate and does not cut deals to match pricing on specific jobs, but he saves me money overall because he does not sell me things I do not need and does a proper job rather than inferior work costing me more money down the road.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
What constitues the best price though? When you buy a pack of gum, sure I get it. But when you buy an item that also requires skill sets for service, as well as back up support pricing is not quite as black and white.
I think most guys on here can rotate a set of tires or do you offer an additional warranty on tires you sell that no other shops do?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

Based on my previous experiences, i pay for "service" if I need it. Not in advance.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You must of not looked very hard in the states. I was saving about $600-$800 per set of tires I purchased in the states when our dollar was close to par. That was with border storage fees and taxes/duty fees added on. This was for 35" mud tires so maybe truck tires have more mark up here? I am sure it is not quite as good of a deal now that our dollar is worth nothing.
I just checked Tire Rack and the other two online stores posted in this thread. Good Year Duratrac 235-85-16 Tires from Tire Rack out of the US $250 each U.S. PLUS $560 in shipping charges (Still a thousand U.S. if I spend the time and money to pick them up at the Border). total 1560 U.S.. PMC Tire on-line $1114 delivered. Canadian Tire St Albert 758.96 on sale; $916 regular price.

The actual U.S. tire stores I visited were even more money than Tire rack, so easy to see that all the shopping around in the world wasn't going to change the outcome.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I think most guys on here can rotate a set of tires or do you offer an additional warranty on tires you sell that no other shops do?
Rotations are more about upselling labour jobs anyways...

I am speaking more about things like the kid who bought a new set of rims and tires and bounces off a curb and feels horrible about it. A guy like that who bought his stuff from me, I will help him replace the damaged goods for cost rather than retail him again, even when it is his own fault. I don't like to use a crummy situation as an excuse to squeeze extra money out of my customers. I try and help where and when I can.

It may not seem like much to some, but when it saves you a couple hundred bucks at a crappy time it is greatly appreciated!

That is just one example of what a good relationship with a local business can do. I have a thousand others where people have come to me after bad experiences elsewhere and now will go nowhere else. I know many other successful small businesses who operate in similar ways. Loyalty does work sometimes!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
how do get $440 a tire you have shipping and duty to pay as well ?
I've never experienced duty buying within Canada
If you look at the links some have free or very cheap shipping if you live in the city, but thanks for coming out 😀
Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM

I'm happy with the quote from Bob, if he can get them he has my business
Old 03-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I just checked Tire Rack and the other two online stores posted in this thread. Good Year Duratrac 235-85-16 Tires from Tire Rack out of the US $250 each U.S. PLUS $560 in shipping charges (Still a thousand U.S. if I spend the time and money to pick them up at the Border). total 1560 U.S.. PMC Tire on-line $1114 delivered. Canadian Tire St Albert 758.96 on sale; $916 regular price.

The actual U.S. tire stores I visited were even more money than Tire rack, so easy to see that all the shopping around in the world wasn't going to change the outcome.
You are right, duratracs from Can tire can't be beat for price when they go on sale. That is why so many guys run them. I was pricing out Cooper STT and Toyo MT at the time and there was a much wider spread. Maybe with the economy the way it is now the local tire guys have dropped their prices.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
https://www.1010tires.com/store/shop...&qty=4&lang=en

https://pmctire.com/en/michelin-pilo...0-97-y-xl.tire

These are the two best I found so far , the second is cheaper and cheaper shipping
Check out Canadian Tire. They are $403.99 for 275-35-20 102Y $40 a skin cheaper than the online choices and no shipping charges. It is also a much heavier duty version of the tire. When they are on sale they will be about $80 a skin cheaper yet, just put in a sales alert to be notified when they are coming on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mi...0808p.html#srp
Old 03-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I'm happy with the quote from Bob, if he can get them he has my business
Sorry, didn't see this before I posted above. If you can deal with Bob that is what I would definitely do given the choice.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-11-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Check out Canadian Tire. They are $403.99 for 275-35-20 102Y $40 a skin cheaper than the online choices and no shipping charges. It is also a much heavier duty version of the tire. When they are on sale they will be about $80 a skin cheaper yet, just put in a sales alert to be notified when they are coming on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mi...0808p.html#srp
They can't get the size and can't per order
Already tried

I'm pushing it at 275/30/20 .... 35s would rub and I'm looking to lose side wall, for less tire roll in the tight corners
Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Go to walmart if it's all about the price.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsmaniac View Post
Go to walmart if it's all about the price.
I see your reading and understanding skills are below par
Try reading it out loud could help
Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Try quattrotires.com. cheapest I've found in Canada. They have your michelins for $412/tire and their shipping is good too.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
Try quattrotires.com. cheapest I've found in Canada. They have your michelins for $412/tire and their shipping is good too.
There back order