Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Buying Tires

I'm in the market for some new tires(that seem to be hard to find at shops)
I can find them on line for a lot less then they want to charge me in red deer
With shipping & tax & install I still have over 600 dollars saved...
What gives ? Seems like to much mark up for me

Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/30/20
Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM

My brothers friend lives in calgary and whenever he needs tires he orders them from the states to the boarder then drives down to pick them up. Supposedly the savings are unreal.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

I don't have the time to drive to the states
But online delivered to my door is over $150 less per tire
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Default Tires

I'm looking for two new sets this summer. Care to share your online link? I've driven to the border in the past for tires ordered from TireRack. They were half the price of the local tires. But that was years ago and the exchange rate was much better.

With shrinking incomes, we need to save where we can now.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Everything auto related is nuts up here. Yesterday I asked a place out of Edm about a Eaton posi unit for a 10 bolt 8.5 gm rearend, a pretty common application, and it was double the US price. Not surprised tires are the same.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:39 PM

https://www.1010tires.com/store/shop...&qty=4&lang=en

https://pmctire.com/en/michelin-pilo...0-97-y-xl.tire

These are the two best I found so far , the second is cheaper and cheaper shipping
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM

I'm confused, order them from the states and save yourself $600.

You can try contacting a local shop, show them your link. Explain to them you'd rather buy local and ask what they can do for you on price.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM

The last few sets of tires I bought ( a few years back) I ordered from http://www.discounttiredirect.com/. I had access to a tire changer at the time, so the cost savings were substantial. I also live 14 miles from the border, so a short trip with the camper for the weekend, visit a bunch of friends, fuel up on cheaper gas, relax a bit, and come back, and still quite a few hundred bucks ahead. Not sure if there would be as much savings now with our wonderfully low dollar, but I have ordered about 6 sets of tires and never had a problem with discount tire, knock on wood.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

You can try contacting a local shop, show them your link. Explain to them you'd rather buy local and ask what they can do for you on price.
Does sound a bit odd, why wouldn't the Canadian tire company find the same US source and scrap the guy he's been buying from. that's a pretty big savings.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Everything auto related is nuts up here. Yesterday I asked a place out of Edm about a Eaton posi unit for a 10 bolt 8.5 gm rearend, a pretty common application, and it was double the US price. Not surprised tires are the same.
So true. When my Eaton G-80 blew out on me I ended up replacing it with a brand new Detroit Tru-Trac for the same as some wreckers wanted for a used G-80 here. A new Eaton here was more than twice what the Detroit cost me. Got it from Summit. But that's when our money actually had value, the good 'ol days!

Had a lot of people tell me the Eaton gov locks are temperamental, some will last the life of the vehicle and some last 25,000 K. That's something I only wanna fix once. Mine gave up the ghost at around 140K.

Sorry for the derail
Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I checked out one of the links, the tires i bought in october, where a couple hundred dollars more then what i paid. plus us funds, plus shipping and plus install and balancing.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
Does sound a bit odd, why wouldn't the Canadian tire company find the same US source and scrap the guy he's been buying from. that's a pretty big savings.
Because depending on the supplier, that is not allowed (trade agreements/etc.). Same reason dealerships can't buy new cars from canada and sell them cheaper in the states.

Oh and each country may have a different contract based on population size.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM

I bought a set of winter tires from this guys in the fall.
http://www.quattrotires.com
Delivered to my door in 5 days. All in -$300 less than the local dealers.
Great guys to deal with.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Banned

Why are you so stuck on Pilots ???

There's a lot of other tires out there that are either almost or just as good as those Michelins. And cheaper, except maybe the Potenza RE050a.

Nitto (NT555, Invo), Continental (Ext Cont Sport), Yokohama (V105), Pirelli (P-Zero), Falken (FK453, I had these tires), Bridgestone (RE760, RE050a), Toyo (Proxes T1 Sport)...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 03-10-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post

These are the two best I found so far , the second is cheaper and cheaper shipping
PMC is your best bet.They are the "Tire Rack" of Canada.Good selection and good prices and the shipping is dirt cheap.I have bought 3 sets of tires from them with no regrets.If the dollar was at par with US I would buy from Tire Rack and have them shipped to Sweetgrass and pick them up.

FTH
Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

x2 on the 1010 tires thing
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 PM

if you buy tires online where do you get them mounted? I would think that most shops would tell you to pound sand if you purchase the tires somewhere else.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 PM

Do you pay duty when you bring tires from the US?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM

Just to add a little fuel to the conversation about us getting ripped off on tire prices, a lot of the Michelin tires are actually made in Canada in Bridgwater, Nova Scotia by hard working, under paid Canadians and the provincial government offers the company subsidies to keep the jobs. Made here but cheaper in the USA.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Order in Canada and save with out going to the states
I contacted the company I prefer to deal with and asked for the price again was over 620/630 a tire, I explained I can get them delivered to my door for a lot less, proved the info and they can't touch it , in the end they said best they can to is 585 each, sorry not sorry
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Why are you so stuck on Pilots ???

There's a lot of other tires out there that are either almost or just as good as those Michelins. And cheaper, except maybe the Potenza RE050a.

Nitto (NT555, Invo), Continental (Ext Cont Sport), Yokohama (V105), Pirelli (P-Zero), Falken (FK453, I had these tires), Bridgestone (RE760, RE050a), Toyo (Proxes T1 Sport)...

Because of the reviews and there Canadian made in NS
after a week of reading about tires the PSS come out on top, I want to have better contact for what I plan to do .
Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
if you buy tires online where do you get them mounted? I would think that most shops would tell you to pound sand if you purchase the tires somewhere else.
Any big company will not turn down business
Little guys yes , kal, fountain only want more n more work
I switch tires all the time , 140$ for 4
Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Just to add a little fuel to the conversation about us getting ripped off on tire prices, a lot of the Michelin tires are actually made in Canada in Bridgwater, Nova Scotia by hard working, under paid Canadians and the provincial government offers the company subsidies to keep the jobs. Made here but cheaper in the USA.
Ya , Canada bends over yet again
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:

I did that exact thing a few years back and the manager told me to go ahead and open my own shop to compete with him. No thanks, I'll just never buy local ever again.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 AM
AO Sponsor

I hear this often, but more times than not I work out to be virtually the same price give or take a bit save some things on a clearance or the odd brand I just don't buy well. Take these 275/30R20 Michelins Super Sports. I am actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if your ordered from Tirerack in the US, and when you consider local services such as free flat repairs, someone to deal with and help if you have an issue, and money put back into your local economy, it is better overall.

I am the first guy to say it is impossible to always be the cheapest on everything as not everyone buys the same brands at the same pricing levels, but much more often than not a solid local company will be far more beneficial to the customer than ordering and sending your dollars to the US (Tirerack) or Quebec (PMC).

To each their own though. Deal where you feel best.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 AM

it's called economy of scale michelin canada will not sell to us for the same price as michelin usa. when california has more population than all of canada and distribution will be cheaper then here.Had this discussion many a time at the agm.even had some of the gray market tires come into our warehouse to bring down the price some buying from regular dealer in the us cheaper than we could buy wholesale direct from michelin , yokohama , hankook, etc. but that got cut off because the dealer was told the would lose there license same as bombadere told there dealer across the boarder they could not sell to a canadian customer or lose there license.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I hear this often, but more times than not I work out to be virtually the same price give or take a bit save some things on a clearance or the odd brand I just don't buy well. Take these 275/30R20 Michelins Super Sports. I am actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if your ordered from Tirerack in the US, and when you consider local services such as free flat repairs, someone to deal with and help if you have an issue, and money put back into your local economy, it is better overall.

I am the first guy to say it is impossible to always be the cheapest on everything as not everyone buys the same brands at the same pricing levels, but much more often than not a solid local company will be far more beneficial to the customer than ordering and sending your dollars to the US (Tirerack) or Quebec (PMC).

To each their own though. Deal where you feel best.
When I'm spending over $500 on something I want options and I want the best,
I research and read reviews etc, once I figure out what I want then the hunt for the best possible price .

I'm not dealing with tire USA, only looking at Canadian sites .
Can you beat $440 a tire ? I'll buy from you
I'll drop the rims off on my way to Calgary and pick them up on the way home
I'll pay up front or put a deposit on them .
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
When I'm spending over $500 on something I want options and I want the best,
I research and read reviews etc, once I figure out what I want then the hunt for the best possible price .

I'm not dealing with tire USA, only looking at Canadian sites .
Can you beat $440 a tire ? I'll buy from you
I'll drop the rims off on my way to Calgary and pick them up on the way home
I'll pay up front or put a deposit on them .
I replied to you via PM...

Just for public discussion, I am not trying to be the cheapest game in town as that is a surefire way to not survive. Often I am cheaper but sometimes not. I am trying to make a fair dollar and provide an excellent value. I spend more money on premium equipment that most stores don't as I value my clients property. I spend more money on quality employees for the same reason. I spend time helping my clients making sound decisions based on their specific needs and not based on my profit levels. I basically make as much profit as I need to so as to continue my business in a manner that works for both my own peace of mind as well as my customers.

These among many other things means I feel I do not have to compete solely on price as you are not buying simply a product, but also a service and relationship. It works for me and my legions of loyal customers. Is it for everyone? Nope... It is for enough people though that my name and reputation are both solid and well thought of overall.

My point is that if people enjoy the race to the bottom where everyone loses, blindly assuming buying online is better then we will get there soon, but if you value your communities, consider everything before clicking order. Often your local guy is doing a lot more for you and your community than just buying and selling an item.

Last edited by tirebob; 03-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I do it all the time and have no problem.I even purchased winter rims and have them swapped over so I dont have to have them mounted/balanced.Costs me $35 to swap them over.

FTH
Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I replied to you via PM...

Just for public discussion, I am not trying to be the cheapest game in town as that is a surefire way to not survive. Often I am cheaper but sometimes not. I am trying to make a fair dollar and provide an excellent value. I spend more money on premium equipment that most stores don't as I value my clients property. I spend more money on quality employees for the same reason. I spend time helping my clients making sound decisions based on their specific needs and not based on my profit levels. I basically make as much profit as I need to so as to continue my business in a manner that works for both my own peace of mind as well as my customers.

These among many other things means I feel I do not have to compete solely on price as you are not buying simply a product, but also a service and relationship. It works for me and my legions of loyal customers. Is it for everyone? Nope... It is for enough people though that my name and reputation are both solid and well thought of overall.

My point is that if people enjoy the race to the bottom where everyone loses, blindly assuming buying online is better then we will get there soon, but if you value your communities, consider everything before clicking order. Often your local guy is doing a lot more for you and your community than just buying and selling an item.
I agree with you. Used to like dealing with you in Airdrie when I lived down there. If all tire purchases become an online deal you will have to order tires and rims at the same time because there will be no shops left to mount your tires. Personally I have checked out these Tire Rack deals a number of times. Even when the exchange was one to one, it was about break even when you figured in shipping and $40 a tire to mount and balance them. Last spring I was in the States and checked out buying tires. Stopped at 8 stores to check prices. Most tire stores worked out to be more than buying up here, before the exchange was even applied. None would have been cheaper. Add to that having to do your warranty work remote and it really isn't worth the hassle.

I wish I could find a great Tire shop in Edmonton/St Albert that matched your place. So far, Canadian Tire has had great prices on Duratracs 9$275 for 235-85-16s) and at least the one here in St Albert has had good service and done good work so far.