Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Default where do you guys get your pellets for your smokers?

I was wondering where everyone gets their pellets for their smokers? I know BBQ Galore has them put I find them quite expensive. I know a few guys that have pellet smokers too so Im looking for a place that would maybe discount on a bulk order. If you know of a place, please post.
Thanks so much.
The last pallet of pellets I brought in was from the US but with the exchange, duty and shipping, it isn't justifiable from there anymore.

Cheers,

SS
Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 PM

PeaveyMart occasionally has 50lb bags on sale for $25-30/bag.

Canadian tire used to have 50lb bags of hardwood pellet stove fuel for $5.99, it worked well.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Peavey Mart
Old 03-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Costco has them for $23.99 for a 33lb bag
Peavey Mart or Rona has them for around $5-$7 per bag. Basic pellets but they still work fine. I would go with a better quality pellet if I was smoking with a pellet grill.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:15 PM

I've seen some at the Lowes hardware stores, they'll also carry maple hardwood lump charcoal seasonally
Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Home hardware sells traeger pellets. $25 for 20lb bag
Old 03-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Canadian tire used to have 50lb bags of hardwood pellet stove fuel for $5.99, it worked well.
You want to REALLY be careful when considering using pellet stove fuel pellets to smoke with! Many contain binders that ain't all that wonderful health-wise...

Canadian Tire here carries 20 lb bags of food grade smoker pellets (no binder) for $ 19.99. I know for a fact (wife is one of their managers) if your local store doesn't have them on hand, they can order them in for you at no additional cost.

Cheers & Happy Smoking!
Nog
Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Halfords
Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Banned

https://cf-t.com/

Try these guys. They're out of Sask. Search for pellets on their site.

You really should use food grade pellets in a BBQ. There is a difference in the binders used vs stove pellets.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
You want to REALLY be careful when considering using pellet stove fuel pellets to smoke with! Many contain binders that ain't all that wonderful health-wise...

Canadian Tire here carries 20 lb bags of food grade smoker pellets (no binder) for $ 19.99. I know for a fact (wife is one of their managers) if your local store doesn't have them on hand, they can order them in for you at no additional cost.

Cheers & Happy Smoking!
Nog
That's a good point! Always check the bag for suitability.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 PM

I get my Traeger pellets from either BBQ Country or Costco. BBQ country has a bigger selection of wood types and a punch card. Buy a bunch and get one free.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-05-2017, 07:30 PM

These mixed source pellets intended for grilling/ smoking are on sale at Lowes (Disclaimer: I've not tried them):

https://www.lowes.ca/wood-logs-pelle...chTerm=pellets
Old 03-05-2017, 07:36 PM

There are no safety standards with fuel pellets. So there can be all kinds of bad stuff mixed in there. Even if they say pure . OSB is considered wood also.
If not food grade labeled there not for cooking with. Hardwood pellets don't have acidic smoke like softwood pellets

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Buy good pellets that are actually made of the wood they say on the label. BBQ delight is a good one, GMG is ok, they actually use the real wood. Traiger uses the same hardwood for every type they sell and coat the pellets with a oil that changes the odour and puts more film on y our smoker, read the label, you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would never use a pellet that isn't food grade.
I was just wondering if anyone has ordered in bulk and saved some money?
Im looking at ordering a pallet of pellets (50+/-bags) if the price is right. I consider a buck a pound to be average from what Ive seen so if I can get it under a buck/pound by ordering bulk, thats what I will do.
thanks again.
SS
Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 PM

I will call these guys in the am. These are the ones I received from RecTec and they were fantastic. Glad to hear someone is carrying them in Canada.
Perfect, thanks so much for the link.
Cheers,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
https://cf-t.com/

Try these guys. They're out of Sask. Search for pellets on their site.

You really should use food grade pellets in a BBQ. There is a difference in the binders used vs stove pellets.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I would never use a pellet that isn't food grade.
I was just wondering if anyone has ordered in bulk and saved some money?
Im looking at ordering a pallet of pellets (50+/-bags) if the price is right. I consider a buck a pound to be average from what Ive seen so if I can get it under a buck/pound by ordering bulk, thats what I will do.
thanks again.
SS
I think you can order direct from bbq delight as well. Its too bad i wont use traiger pellets cuz they are everywhere.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM

I was going to post a link to the mojack ones I always order off amazon shipped to my door for $14/20lb and noticed they have trippled in price. Looking at the reviews this happened in December sometime. Traeger from costco is next cheapest I have found but I wasn't very happy with the flavour they produced.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 PM

Why wont you use their pellets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I think you can order direct from bbq delight as well. Its too bad i wont use traiger pellets cuz they are everywhere.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 PM

I was also ordering from Amazon....

Paradise Spa in Calgary sells Green Mountain pellets. I believe it was $24 for 28lbs.
Costco as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
I was going to post a link to the mojack ones I always order off amazon shipped to my door for $14/20lb and noticed they have trippled in price. Looking at the reviews this happened in December sometime. Traeger from costco is next cheapest I have found but I wasn't very happy with the flavour they produced.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Traiger uses the same hardwood for every type they sell and coat the pellets with a oil that changes the odour and puts more film on y our smoker, read the label, you'll see what I mean.
You have stated this before about Traeger pellets, and I had done some research. I found that you are right; but you are also wrong.

Oak, Maple, and Alder are 100% hardwood and species indicated, no oils added.

Pecan, Apple, and Cherry, are 30% species indicated, and 70% Alder/Oak. No oils again.

Hickory and Mesquite however are 100% Alder/Oak, and oils are used.

Just FYI
Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will call these guys in the am. These are the ones I received from RecTec and they were fantastic. Glad to hear someone is carrying them in Canada.
Perfect, thanks so much for the link.
Cheers,
SS
Amazon.ca also has them for $44.99 for 40lbs with free shipping.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Sounds like this CFT place in Saskatoon doesn't carry the pellets any more. No demand but I'm assuming it had to do with their main business.
I'm going to get a few guys together to make a bulk purchase and see if we can get a better deal on ordering a pallet or 2 of pellets.
Thinking of BBQ Delight pellets as they seem to be one of the better reviewed and actually available here.
Thanks again for all your input, much appreciated.

SS
Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 PM

I got a couple of guys that may be interested in going in on the pallet order...

Quote:
Sounds like this CFT place in Saskatoon doesn't carry the pellets any more. No demand but I'm assuming it had to do with their main business.
I'm going to get a few guys together to make a bulk purchase and see if we can get a better deal on ordering a pallet or 2 of pellets.
Thinking of BBQ Delight pellets as they seem to be one of the better reviewed and actually available here.
Thanks again for all your input, much appreciated.

SS
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM

I think Paradise is now a Yoder dealer (used to be GMG) and I believe they will be carrying BBQ Delight pellets now.
I have also heard some good things on the Louisiana Grills pellets so I am making some calls to get some prices on both. Any good, bad or ugly reviews on the LG pellets?

Thank you.
SS
Old 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned

i used a mixture of owl and beaver
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM

$60 CAN/40lb bag from their website and I still need to ship to Canada and deal with duty etc... I will look locally I think... LOL

Quote:
Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You have stated this before about Traeger pellets, and I had done some research. I found that you are right; but you are also wrong.

Oak, Maple, and Alder are 100% hardwood and species indicated, no oils added.

Pecan, Apple, and Cherry, are 30% species indicated, and 70% Alder/Oak. No oils again.

Hickory and Mesquite however are 100% Alder/Oak, and oils are used.

Just FYI
Thanks for posting, some people depend on google a little too often.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
$60 CAN/40lb bag from their website and I still need to ship to Canada and deal with duty etc... I will look locally I think... LOL
Ya lol. They are cheaper than that at bbq's galore
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Thanks for posting, some people depend on google a little too often.
I guess its because I use alot of hickory and mesquite lol. The alder and oak depend on what half of the country your on. One half, east or west gets one the other gets the other. I would guess the east uses oak and the west alder but not sure. So you know, there was no google involved at all, i read it on a product pamplet in the store. I read and posted fact, you read nothing, insinuated everything and posted without knowledge at all. The only intent was to insult me and so you know, you just believed someone on a forum which is no different than google. Two people who both did research have posted correctly, im assuming he is correct but will check, and you contributed nothing.

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 03-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.