Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
We need a Wilmore in the south west. What would be the harm in that??? Oh some of you lazy bums won't be able to see it cuz you rely on your OHV to haul your butts around. Lol.
You do have one, it's call Kananaskis. Not all hunters are as you put it "lazy bums" some may have health issues, but still like to get out. I certainly don't have any problem with everyone have the chance to hunt and fish, but then there are some arrogant dicks who think it's all about them and what ever suits their fancy and screw the rest. Work smarter not harder, but I can see where it would tick those off that can't afford an OHV.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You do have one, it's call Kananaskis. Not all hunters are as you put it "lazy bums" some may have health issues, but still like to get out. I certainly don't have any problem with everyone have the chance to hunt and fish, but then there are some arrogant dicks who think it's all about them and what ever suits their fancy and screw the rest. Work smarter not harder, but I can see where it would tick those off that can't afford an OHV.
I never called any hunters lazy. Read carefully Ramcrazy. I laugh at your comment about affording an atv as I own two of them. It's the footprint left behind that causing the OHV ban. And you know this is just the beginning. That's why your so upset that you feel the need to call me a dick. Just like all activities in life we are limited to what our bodies will allow. So if your too old or sore or disabled then you need to choose easier areas to hunt and possibly slow it down a notch. I know it hurts to accept the fact that not everyone can hunt sheep till the day they die but it's a fact of life.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Where did I say I had any health issues! What's good for one user group should be good for another user group. You should try and broaden your horizons. If you want to go for a hunt and not be bothered by OHV try getting off the beaten path a little, or go to "K" country I know I don't let OHV's bother me when I'm out hunting.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Unhappy

It is just a matter of time before many areas are closed off here too. This morning I get shown a video of a (lifted, turbos, pretty serious machinery) quad group decimating an area..and the guy showing me it was pretty proud the area was unrecognizeable when they were done. Unreal.

So I ask wtf are you guys doing? You are going to get banned from the area and others eventually! Response was 1) it will never happen because nothing is ever enforced in Sk (what???) and 2) they could give a _____.

Shouldn't be too long...
Old 02-26-2017, 06:55 PM

Hello too all.

The Castle Mountain Area Park has some Pro's and Con's as we're not quite 100% sure of what it will look like 5, 10, or 20 years down the road.

We can only guess that OHV use will be first, camping limitations, game Harvesting, maybe fishing and would there be time restrictions add into this mix. Doo Noo as its in the building.

I read all the post in the thread, and thank you too all for sharing your ideas and thoughts as this builds common goal ideas forward.

The words erosion came up, along with quality of water up and down stream from towns and cities,,, as well fish habitat.

I'll would like too take up the next 7 post too share in this if I may, and hopefully it will shed some light on what happens when un-seen activities happen that some folks miss out on.

Let's chain up the rig too tour a small area of Alberta, kind of a look at the above ideas.

PS: Sorry for bad spelling as I'm more of the back-woods fellow that enjoys the easy things in life,,, deffinatly not mud as I'm a hard ground traveler by 2 wheel drive pick-up and small factory tire or tracks OHV Explorer.

A few quality photos with no disrespect too anyone or thing as its a glimpse into one area opposed to another.

Let's say a cross reference too the Castle Area too the boundary just out side the Big Horn.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM

I hate mud, and I'm a hard ground sight seeing dude that enjoys putting on the miles

This unit is for road use in the spring too Summer time with the odd hard rock trails with factory tires as I ride the Americas when I can, and the full length of the Eastern slopes of Alberta.

This ride is a tour of erosion between the Baptiste and Brazoo rivers. It is one of the seven largest clear cut cut blocks in Alberta and the largest by far that I've ever encounter in this province of Alberta. I've had the opportunity to see the Grand Cache Alberta cut blocks but they are nothing the size of this one.

I'd almost say the area looks like a pancake as its got flattened out pretty good
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Until they say you can no longer hunt and fish. Oh well, at least they didn't start with your activity. Some folks will never get it.
This is what I have been getting at all along......people are just dumb sometimes.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM

This is just a guess, there "might be 800 too 1000 marsh low lands with in this massive clear-cut cut-block, 100's of shallow stream crossing that feed the creeks and only meters away is the Baptiste and Brazoo rivers on either sides.
As one can see, the logging operation took out everything and threw the shallow creeks. Might be 250 or 300 of them.

Forestry is out too put a kink on the pine and spruce worm in this neck of the woods. What was left behind was burned. 1000's apon 1000's of log piles burned. 150 too 200 feet across and 50 too 75 feet tall before the burns.

I've always noticed silk cloth being laid along the creek edges to prevent erosion. But not in many of these cases of this road going through.

This spring there will be lots of dirt moving down stream, these rivers feed into the North Saskatchewan River, one would think that much of this run off "could" have a bearing on fish habitat as well.
The side hills are totally cleaned off.

No water retention barriers built to prevent erosion.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM

This is one long massive clear-cut.

It's ruffly 2.5 kms wide on either side, some sections are the same on both sides.
They left the odd trees behind, but not very many consider the size of this cut.

From 4200 feet up too just under the 6200 foot mark of some very steep mountains of clay and sand. These are not hard rock mountains. Erosion will be huge.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 PM

My guess-ti-mating is 100 too 125 Square kms of clean clear cut, of the 7... 5 more down from this one and 2 in the FLUZ zone of the Big Horn.

The west of Grande Cache clear Cuts were never this large or expanded as large as this one without breaks between the cuts.

The acid from the burn piles will migrate towards the streams the creeks and into these Rivers this spring. I can only guess that there were thousands and thousands all these burn piles but unknown until we fly over at this spring.

My Smokey dog bon-fire is no where close to the many log piles burned this winter, and about 300 of them are still smoldering in the distance.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
My guess-ti-mating is 100 too 125 Square kms of clean clear cut, of the 7... 5 more down from this one and 2 in the FLUZ zone of the Big Horn.

The west of Grande Cache clear Cuts were never this large or expanded as large as this one without breaks between the cuts.

The acid from the burn piles will migrate towards the streams the creeks and into these Rivers this spring. I can only guess that there were thousands and thousands all these burn piles but unknown until we fly over at this spring.

My Smokey dog bon-fire is no where close to the many log piles burned this winter, and about 300 of them are still smoldering in the distance.
Don't worry about it Don. You won't be able to drive those nice tracks down here and complain about our area.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:46 PM

We can only hope that the Moose, Elk, Deer and fish habitat along with the Grizzly Bears do not decline on account of this clear-cut or the seven that will be much like this one.

Funny thing is that this cut took place under a NDP government that promotes green in its agenda. The green pines left behind show it was this year's harvest.

So folks could think of erosion by OHV's or logging in different ways.
This log cut is 100+++ square kilometers within meters of two major rivers. No silt collecting cloth on any of the roads in there or erosion barriers built along the side Hills marshes or Creeks that run through it.

Only critter seen on this outting was a lonely chicken. Ha.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 PM

I'll tour the West FTR on the next outting too share photos of the size of those cut block over there in the FLUZ zone. Photos from the road and foot in there.

OHV travel works for us as my 3 pals all have disabilities, and it allows them too come out of the cities and towns to enjoy what little bit of nature they can enjoy.

PS: I ok with logging, mining, oil and gas exploration activities, but at times it consumes alot of land at times,,,, big cut blocks like this are scary, but what's a person too do when the forest are a over grown fire hazard or have infestations within them.

Don on sharing a small portion of erosion
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM

Now hold on there Don, it is the OHV's that do the most damage. There are a couple of D P's (delicate people) from the fine town of Claresholm that say so. I'm sure they will have a hoot hunting in that area!!! that's kinda what has happened in the castle area.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 AM

Ha, I never thought of it that way.

Yes that the trail will remain as oil & gas exploration will follow next.

An old saying from my Pops and probably others went like this.

"Humans are hard on the planet, but it must of been in the cards or we wouldn't be here. LOL."

Pro's and Con's to everything we do, the planet thing will work out "with or without us one way or the other I'm guessing.

I'm sure we all enjoy the peaces of crown lands we have as its nice too explore them time and time again.

Have fun at where ever you end up as I continue hanging out in the back-woods as long as the old body allows.

Being lost is the best

Don
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Now hold on there Don, it is the OHV's that do the most damage. There are a couple of D P's (delicate people) from the fine town of Claresholm that say so. I'm sure they will have a hoot hunting in that area!!! that's kinda what has happened in the castle area.
Pretty difficult to make track when the ground is frozen. Take the same trip in May and see what kinda tracks are left behind. Nice try sheep crazy. You bitch about the oil and forestry leaving a mess but then you follow the tracks they leave. Kinda Ironic ....
Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty difficult to make track when the ground is frozen. Take the same trip in May and see what kinda tracks are left behind. Nice try sheep crazy. You bitch about the oil and forestry leaving a mess but then you follow the tracks they leave. Kinda Ironic ....
The point is that one user group is being singled out. Industry will continue their use of the land unabated, simply because they provide cash flow for the spenders in government.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The point is that one user group is being singled out. Industry will continue their use of the land unabated, simply because they provide cash flow for the spenders in government.
All the more reason to make more parks. Like the whaleback. No logging mining oil exploration Ect. If you support areas without industry then you need to understand that all motorized vehicles need to be restricted. You can't allow one to go then say no to the other.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
All the more reason to make more parks. Like the whaleback. No logging mining oil exploration Ect. If you support areas without industry then you need to understand that all motorized vehicles need to be restricted. You can't allow one to go then say no to the other.
I am not against having restrictions. We already have them. There is just a lack of enforcement. But its the people who want an outright ban with no questions asked who concern me as such a drastic measure is a knee jerk reaction that is unnecessary.

Bob Creek was perfect. Quiet, a couple trails no issues. They even shut that down. It is pathetic.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I'll tour the West FTR on the next outting too share photos of the size of those cut block over there in the FLUZ zone. Photos from the road and foot in there.

OHV travel works for us as my 3 pals all have disabilities, and it allows them too come out of the cities and towns to enjoy what little bit of nature they can enjoy.

PS: I ok with logging, mining, oil and gas exploration activities, but at times it consumes alot of land at times,,,, big cut blocks like this are scary, but what's a person too do when the forest are a over grown fire hazard or have infestations within them.

Don on sharing a small portion of erosion
this looks the same as west of Caroline
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the pics
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
It is just a matter of time before many areas are closed off here too. This morning I get shown a video of a (lifted, turbos, pretty serious machinery) quad group decimating an area..and the guy showing me it was pretty proud the area was unrecognizeable when they were done. Unreal.

So I ask wtf are you guys doing? You are going to get banned from the area and others eventually! Response was 1) it will never happen because nothing is ever enforced in Sk (what???) and 2) they could give a _____.

Shouldn't be too long...
You must be talking about these guys
https://youtu.be/WUsG3-VDB78

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Default ATVs and access

Hi, I'm a hunter and fisherman and own an ATV and have grew up down in SW Alberta.

Started hunting elk in wmu 400 and 402 in the 80s and loved it, especially the times I got to call in elk and hear them bugle back.

ATV's ruined several of my hunting spots because all of a sudden everyone and their dog could drive in instead of having to walk in. All I know for sure is there needs to be limits on ATV use and the present system does not seem to be working. I personally would like to see ATV use limited to recovering game only.