Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2016, 11:10 PM

Default Amazing trip

Well we had an amazing trip to southern bc and have an experience to share

While out fishing one evening and we were having fun when a big rainbow smashed the fly and ripped my line out into the backing. then the backing knot hit the end loop and come undone and fish took off with my fly line.

So we made some loops around the lake and lo and behold we find my line. I pull it in and the 26" trout is still on. Truth is stranger than fiction

I will not post pictures so don't ask as that door is closed for me on this site.

Thought I would share the story and see if anyone else had similar experience. Fishing was awesome and landed many big trout and retained our limit of two each day. They will be tasty!

My youngest boy hooked a 18" trout on a fly and landed him too and the smile on his face is precious

Years ago I caught a 33" Gerrard in that lake on a fly and finally got to return and have stories and many fish caught, most released and a few retained for enjoyment.

Many in the low 20's and one that made 30" the water was beautiful and in evenings we often could sight fish and saw many monsters that we just could not entice.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Sounds like a great trip!! The only story I have that's close, is watching one of my Crocs float down the river...only to find it the next day while exploring downstream. It's close, but not near as dramatic as yours!

Ozzzzz
Old 07-30-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Happened to me

Just this past winter was ice fishing for brook trout had my rod taken right down the hole was pretty bummed out about it ..... I sat and fished in that spot for three to four hours when I had a bite o checked and my hook was tangled in some fishing line I pulled the line in and it was my rod I had lost earlier that day and on the other end was a trout was pretty crazy got my rod back tho!