Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Default BSA (birmingham small arms) .308

Im in search of a bolt for my BSA rifle. Ive searched the internet and have explored all my options that i know of. I just bought the rifle and am not 100% on the model as the markings on the gun are very generic. I believe its a majestic or a sporter. Anyone have parts or know where to find parts? Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Is the bolt damaged, or did you purchase the rifle without a bolt?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Bolt is damaged. Lug is broke off
Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger14 View Post
Bolt is damaged. Lug is broke off
One of the two locking lugs is broken off?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:16 AM

One is broke off and one is cracked. Someone put it to the pressure test id say. Had it inspected by 2 gunsmiths, one said its junk as there will be head space issues. Other side it appears to be fine. So id like to find a bolt or get it repaired if possible. I think replacement is the best option.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Banned

holy crap!

you could always get a new bolt body made at a machine shop
Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 PM

See if you can post a picture up of the rifle and the bolt and perhaps someone will be able to identify the model of rifle you have.
I personally would want nothing to do with repairing and putting back into service a firearm that has been exposed to so much pressure that the locking lugs were compromised to the point of fracturing. However in the interests of entertainment do forge ahead and don't forget to video the results of your experiments for the rest of us. Regards David Henry.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
See if you can post a picture up of the rifle and the bolt and perhaps someone will be able to identify the model of rifle you have.
I personally would want nothing to do with repairing and putting back into service a firearm that has been exposed to so much pressure that the locking lugs were compromised to the point of fracturing. However in the interests of entertainment do forge ahead and don't forget to video the results of your experiments for the rest of us. Regards David Henry.
+1
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Default BSA (birmingham small arms) .308

Thanks for the replies, yeah i have to agree and am also sceptical about ever using it again. Its such a shame as its a nice rifle. It might become a piece of furniture but still would like to find more info and a bolt for it. Ill post some pics when i get a chance.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 PM

A guy is entitled to do whatever he wants but thankfully I am not obligated to help you blow yourself up. I hope nothing bad happens but I would bet it will if you pursue this.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM

I would think that the cost of a new bolt + headspacing (+risk of metal fatigue/damage from the previous extreme pressure) might make a used BSA a better option?

Depending on the action (BSA used M98's of various kinds, a few P14's and built their own Sako-esque design action) a bolt might be quit difficult to find.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger14 View Post
Thanks for the replies, yeah i have to agree and am also sceptical about ever using it again. Its such a shame as its a nice rifle. It might become a piece of furniture but still would like to find more info and a bolt for it. Ill post some pics when i get a chance.
If you post a pic of the bolt tail piece and the safety I can tell you what model it is.
Is it braked?
Cat
Old 01-20-2016, 04:09 PM

Old 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Just iphone pics, sorry for being upside down and foolish. No it doesnt have a muzzle brake catnthehat
Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Looks like a Royal at first glance, I'll take a closer look in a bit.
What cartridge?
Cat
Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

I'd take Dave's comment very seriously. The forces required to destroy the bolt lug are enormous. Such that the action may have been compromised. And I certainly wouldn't trust a visual inspection. This sort of thing calls for a mag. particle inspection by a trusted NDT inspection firm. By the time that you compound all of the repair and inspection costs, you're close to buying a new gun. Not all is lost as I'm sure that this gun could return some $ for parts. I'm no chicken (except for needles) but I wouldn't jeopardize my well being to mess around with it.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Another vote for retiring this overstressed action.
I would not be trying to resurrect a rifle that had been so mistreated, with 50,000 psi next to my face and fingers.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Not worth it.

I had a Carcano go boom in my face. Best could figure out was secondary explosion from handload in manual to spec. Had help from gunnuzt forum on this one. Rifle looked good to begin with. Bore slugged good.

It's not something you want to experience.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Looks like an early "Majestic" according to my BSA reference book by John Knibbs. The Golden Century.
Hogie, regarding your mysterious Carcano blow up, you could have unknowingly been loading for one of the rifles that T. Eaton Co had revamped by Cooey. Long story short, a good number of these were sold before the contract was filled and a recall notice was issued because of some disasters that occurred with the then factory loaded 6.5x53.5 ammo. CIL stepped in with some weaker loads sold in different packaging specifically for the Cooey Carcanos. Of course by then it was to late and owners of these rifles are still getting nasty surprises when they handload for them. David Henry.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Nice rifle to just be discarded, if it can't be fixed maybe something like this would be nice for the gun room?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Banned

Default Looks great

That is quite unique looking to say the least. That fellow must have used a lead sled at least three times.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Nice rifle to just be discarded, if it can't be fixed maybe something like this would be nice for the gun room?

[IMG][/IMG]

Just be sure to have it legally deactivated so the RCMP don't try to charge you with illegal storage.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Looks like an early "Majestic" according to my BSA reference book by John Knibbs. The Golden Century.
Hogie, regarding your mysterious Carcano blow up, you could have unknowingly been loading for one of the rifles that T. Eaton Co had revamped by Cooey. Long story short, a good number of these were sold before the contract was filled and a recall notice was issued because of some disasters that occurred with the then factory loaded 6.5x53.5 ammo. CIL stepped in with some weaker loads sold in different packaging specifically for the Cooey Carcanos. Of course by then it was to late and owners of these rifles are still getting nasty surprises when they handload for them. David Henry.
Mine was original m38. 6.5 chamber. Some were also 7.35 I think. They would have been stamped to different caliber if converted . Italy start chambering in 6.5 then decided to go to a larger caliber when war started.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:30 PM

We need a savvy Cooey collector to supply the exact details on what the altered Carcanos looked like and whether they were remarked in any way. I just remember being told about the dangers of these sporterized rifles. But it sounds like yours was still in full military dress so probably not part of the Eatons fiasco. Anyway this is way off the topic of the O.P. so lets get back on track. David.