Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 PM

Default Zeiss Conquest 3-15x50 Rapid Z 800

Any opinions on this scope? I plan on field verifying all magnification adjustments for each cartridge, but how accurate is the website calculator? Is the scope reliable enough to simply adjust the turrets each time you change bullet weights with out re-verifying the zero?

It is sitting on a Sako Finnlight 7 Rem Mag, Im planning on shooting 140ish and 175ish shels with the set up. For you that seen my last post, I've already purchased the rifle, and no BBQ comments.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 PM

I own six HD-5 scopes, they track very well . As to the calculator, it is like any ballistic calculator in that it is only as accurate as the data you enter. If you enter the actual muzzle velocity, and the actual B.C. of the bullet, it should be within a few inches at 500 yards, perhaps farther. If you use the manufacturers published velocity for factory loads, or the velocity published in a manual for handloads, and the manufacturers published B.C., you could easily be several inches off at 400 yards. As well, a change in temperature from 20 degrees to -20 degrees can add significant error for some loads. As well, the hash marks are only useful at one magnification, and it takes trial and error to determine that magnification that works best for each load..
Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
Any opinions on this scope? I plan on field verifying all magnification adjustments for each cartridge, but how accurate is the website calculator? Is the scope reliable enough to simply adjust the turrets each time you change bullet weights with out re-verifying the zero?

It is sitting on a Sako Finnlight 7 Rem Mag, Im planning on shooting 140ish and 175ish shels with the set up. For you that seen my last post, I've already purchased the rifle, and no BBQ comments.
Sometimes we have to make do with what we have.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 AM

I have used an older Z-600 very successfully at a variety of ranges. As a reloader I am able to enter detailed and accurate data, which is reflected in the answers I get back for the calculator. does take some work on your part as the answers it returns are for specific magnification settings.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:48 AM

Cant go wrong for the quality and price of this scope
Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 AM

Don't forget that you may also have to adjust windage and elevation POA/POI settings when you change bullets. Shoot one bullet then switch to another and POI may move sometimes several inches . Don't be surprised if you have to re-sight in when you switch bullets.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post

Once you verify one bullet, then verify the next, repeat, once this info is consistent and repeatable you can simple adjust your turrets for the different bullets. Write down your info. You will have to confirm both bullets at different ranges to be sure of the proper magnification setting for the different bullets. Magnifications should be near max power for both bullets. The calculator will get you close.
I use RZ-800 on a 300wm, 180 TTSX and 210grn Berger Hvld. Both come ups, dope and mag settings are written down on laminated paper glued to my scope cap. Same with the RZ 600 I use on 7-08 and 270win. The scopes work well, and are simple enough once you get used to them. I haven't used them on a big game animal past 450 yrds, gophers to max range and beyond is good practice......