Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Hypothetically speaking...if I was to make a shot I would consider one of my memorable best, it might be a quick draw head shot on a running gopher at about 60 yards with a Ruger Mark III .22LR. But that could never happen in Canada...
Old 12-24-2014, 05:38 PM

My buddy took a crack at a coyote 0.8 km on the quad speedometer, with a 22-250 gun went off , i said you missed just as the coyote hit the snow, got him in the neck
Old 12-24-2014, 06:10 PM

My father and I were BSing in the yard when some little sparrow sized birds were hanging around. I nonchalantly picked up a stone and threw it sidearm as one sparrow flew by.... and I connected. I kinda felt bad afterwards - I didn't really plan on hitting him.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM

I shot a playing card in half at a good 10 paces with a S&W 686 open sights. I planned to go further this year but injuries keep me from shooting.

Video here.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Hypothetically speaking...if I was to make a shot I would consider one of my memorable best, it might be a quick draw head shot on a running gopher at about 60 yards with a Ruger Mark III .22LR. But that could never happen in Canada...
Wow .... Yup. Hypothetically a incredible shot. Thought I seen a hypothetical that was good .... Stationary 32 yards , small gopher, that was the best. But your hypothetical has that hypothetical beat big time
Old 12-24-2014, 07:29 PM

My best was 450 yards at a crow with a rem 788 triple duece. First shot low second plugged it. Then his buddy landed beside him and boom shot that one too. To this day I still wish I never sold that gun.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM

best shot i have taken was asking my wife to marry me ... dang i sure hit the target
Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Default The old man

My old man falls into the one rifle and knows how to shoot it category.
When I was 11 he was partner on a moose license, old family friend wants the first shot at the cow. Dad says she's right around 425 give or take. Old guy says ill give it a whirl if she don't go down then you shoot. Dad takes a knee, dials up the scope chief on his rem 700 in 308 as the old man squeezes off a shot from a stump. Cow lifts her head starts to trot left to right , headed for the timber.
Dad shoots cow falls, old man looks back and says a few colourful things all with a big smile of course.
Cow rights herself, gets behind a small spruce . Dad reloads , moves over to the old guys gun rest(stump), lets one fly at her neck to finish her . Finish her he did.
We walked down and went to work cleaning her up . Dads first shot was on target , double lunged not heart, second shot severed the spine a few inche's back from the skull.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 PM

Would not likely ever happen again. Felt so dammnnnedd good when it happened, though. It all just came together in a sweet moment in time and space.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:30 PM

best (read luckiest ) shot i ever made was using my old bb gun back when i lived in bc. a starling crossed my can shooting fence at 25 feet brought the gun up on the bird pulled the trigger and as i swung through i watched the bird drop at 30 feet. i still to this day cant quite believe that i hit it.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
best shot i have taken was asking my wife to marry me ... dang i sure hit the target
She told me you where shootin blank's
Old 12-25-2014, 01:51 AM

Best shot I'd ever seen belonged to my dad, we were guiding a buffalo hunt and just had a hunter take a shot at a buff and it was down. We went back to the truck to warm up and saw another bull start to put the run on our hunter from about 100 yards out, instead of running to our truck he decided to run into a willow thicket. Bull was gaining pretty fast and dad stepped out of the truck and put a bullet out of an old 30-30 right behind the bulls ear. Bull was on a full out charge maybe 100 yards out, and did the old dances with wolves slide after the shot.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
My best was 450 yards at a crow with a rem 788 triple duece. First shot low second plugged it. Then his buddy landed beside him and boom shot that one too. To this day I still wish I never sold that gun.
That's good shooting .... Those buggers are hard to hit. Pm sent about purchasing my 222 that I don't really shoot. Needs a proper home
Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 AM

Last winter I spied a coyote busy digging mice out of the snow as I entered a remote pasture about 200 yds. away. It kept moving away as I approached staying behind some thin bush, still busily digging. Luckily I was downwind from her,and though she kept moving away, I was able to keep following, but she was getting farther and farther away. I eventually ran out of cover, and had to lay down and rest my 22-250 on the last twig of buckbrush and give it a try. She dropped but got up and tried to run to the north, now broadside, so I took another shot, now standing and freehand. She dropped like a rock. I didn't have a rangefinder, so I paced off the distance to her best I could, came up with 325 yards. First bullet got her in the ribs, second one went through her head.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
She told me you where shootin blank's
shes right lol
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Couple come to mind.
Pigeons liked to land on a grain bin back of my barn. About 85 yard shot. Two pigeons sitting about 6 inches apart. Take the 243 SPS Varminter out with 58 gr vmax moving about 3600fps. Aim at the left one and pull the trigger. Both birds slide off opposite sides of the bin. My first thought was hmmm nobody is going to believe this and both witnesses are dead.

Coyote and dog were 300 yards out in the field and I had my TC 204 out. Dog bounces off about 5 feet and I pull the trigger. Coyote goes down in a heap with a hole in his throat. Figured the 32 gr vmax took about .25 of a second to get there.

Lots of doubles on gophers and the odd triple. Some big rocks out in the field that the gophers would sit on so I would bounce 22 bullets into them. windy days where I would put the cross hairs beside the gopher and let the wind push the bullet into the gopher.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM

20m shot 4 years ago

lucky cause i am nowhere near a good shot with these things.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 PM

I spotted a whitetail buck 100 yards across a bog and 200 yards up a cut line. Pulled the trigger on my 7.62x39 bolt rifle and the bullet went through both lungs and out the other side. Lasered it at 304 yards. Not an extreme distance but I thought it was pretty good for such a cartridge.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Not sure which these five shots @ 100m was the best, but at least four of them were pretty good.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Caribou hunt, Terre Neuve Labrador... my dad did a hero shot at a bull so far i tought impossible.. took him a first shot wich was a miss and 2nd shot he aimed higher and hit it... was quite a walk to reach him.. ( 827 yard ) with a 7mm rem mag.

Still have the shot recorded.

As for myself i believe my best shot was 2013 on last day of deer hunt .. frontal shot at a doe +- 140 yard with a black powder. shooting position was kneeling.. droped dead in its track.

Last edited by MattSako; 12-29-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Mule Deer doe shot by my son Matt at 428 y in the head.
30-06 TTSX 150 gr. He asked me how to shoot it I said about foot above she dropped right there. He said that he was aiming for the head.

My best 107 y neck shot on Sharptail Grouse 7 STW 140 gr TSX.
Bullet cut front of the neck so head was still attached, no meat damage.

Another one
after getting to hunting area with my hunting partner we were checking rifles at 100 y after a few shots my friend shot last one calling this good so I told him I will touch your bullet hole with my shot and...I did.
Next morning I've shot wolf at 320 m, she was seating on a cutline facing us, it was neck shot.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 PM

50 yard shot on a ruffed grouse. Took the head clean off and had to shake the tree to get the body to fall to the ground. 7mm rem mag. 2 witnesses.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
50 yard shot on a ruffed grouse. Took the head clean off and had to shake the tree to get the body to fall to the ground. 7mm rem mag. 2 witnesses.
Maybe it's just me but something about this gives me the shivers. A tree shot at a bird with a 7mm rem mag. The only thing running through my mind is where did the bullet land? I don't know the backdrop here but I hope you did.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 AM

One of the most satisfying was a 250 yard shot on a nice four point buck, walking up a steep incline. It was still moving out across a rock bluff when I pulled the trigger and dropped, slipped about 10 yards and came to rest next to a stiff drop.

I have always liked shooting uphill. Feels bigger some how.

The worst marksmanship was in 1998 - went hunting with an equipment operator who was working for me and just loved to talk about his magnum Weatherby. He took me to his muley honey hole. As we came around a little used corner of a remote logging trail there were a large herd of muley of which there were a couple of nice bucks. The guy steps of the ATV real fast, chambers a round and shoots at the nearest buck some thirty yards away. BOOM and the buck just stares back. He quickly chambers another and BOOM another one misses. The herd starts to get nervous and they move a little further away. This time the guy takes more time, lines up on the same buck but now its about 60 yards away. BOOM, one of the antlers goes flying which gets the buck real excited. A reload and three more shots and the only casualty is the guys ego and my tonsils which I have coughed up from laughing so hard. Man that was a funny day hunting
Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 AM

Best I ever saw was my Grandpa, sitting with the barrel of his 303 British perched between his feet aiming at a coyote trotting away on a slightly quartering path. Iron sights, uphill, at about 220 yard, as a single shot rang out. Coyote stopped and dropped. My cousin and I ran over to it and found no entry or exit wound, until we saw a little blood at the mouth. Bullet went in the ear and out the mouth. Grandpa was a crack shot, so when he didn't look surprised, I didn't ask if it was on purpose. Nice clean pelt though!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 AM

Whitetail buck, across a half section, clicked it out with the truck odometer, just under the 600m turnover. 338 federal 200 grain fusion, held waaaaaaay over.
303yds on a coyote with tikka t3 lite in 243 with 58 grain vmax. DRT.
Both further shots than I wanted but comfy nonetheless.
330 yards on my biggest whitetail yet, 189" monster, 338 federal Thompson center encore, 200 grain fusion.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Banned

Best shooting I have even seen was my beloved father getting a triple on teal a very long way out, while they were zipping by as they do so well.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

i was walking into a coyote set when a coyote busts out of the bush and runs across a 15' wide path. i unshouldered, turned off the safety, and nailed him full bore run before he got to the other side.

it was a 40-50 yard shot but it was so instinct based it was amazing
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Best shooting I have even seen was my beloved father getting a triple on teal a very long way out, while they were zipping by as they do so well.
Funny how you talk so fondly of your father, which you should, but you would talk such trash about another board member's father.

Speaks to one's lack of character and propensity to be a hypocrite.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Ok will stay on topic.

Best shot I ever saw was my Dad taking 5 ducks flying out of a pond with his old 20ga. Must have been a hot round as the gun fell apart right in his hands! Once the dust settled the look on the old mans face had me and my brother rolling on the ground laughing our heads off! Ah good memories.