Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Default OK best shot you have seen or made

having wayyyyy to much fun the last few days, so lets hear some of the REAL, NO BULL best shots you have made or witnessed. Ill start with my best to date.
400yd shot on a gopher with iron sighted 22lr. rifle is a marlin 39 golden A with lyman tang peep sight. shot from sitting over sticks. whistle dog was sitting on a dark patch of dirt. laser ranged at 400yds. first shot hit just below second shot hit just beside his head third shot right in the boiler. shot was witnessed by 4 other guys and was confirmed hit as gopher never made it an inch away from where i hit it. to be honest i probably couldn't make that shot again if i tried
Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A whitetail doe busted out of some brush 100 yards ahead of me, running right to left, I swung the Rem .270 BDL just slightly past her as she attempted to jump a wire fence, gun went off, she crumpled mid air and skidded in the snow dead as dead can be to a neck shot on the other side of the fence!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Sitting in cow camp one March morning having breakfast. The boss sees this coyote come off of the creek and up along the feed alley and jumped into the day turn out pen. There is three of us eating I walked to the bedroom got my cooey single shot bolt action. 22 open sight. When out onto the deck and uses the Bbq as a rest. This coyote is in line walking broad side thru the pen. I held and lead him and boom down he goes. The bet was 20$ on a hit. 178 yards in the ear. Two witnesses. .

Last edited by coy coyote; 12-24-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: caliber
Old 12-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Banned

I've heard of a guy just recently that.......oh, never mind.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM

I had a whitetail buck running away from me full tilt, 1 shot free hand with my weatherby vanguard s1 .257, 120 grain Np, across the feild 265 yards
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM

I'll play this game.
Last fall myself, dad,cousin and daughters boyfriend were coming back from a early morning hunt when we spotted a coyote out in my uncles hay field. It was about 3/4 of way down the 1/4 when I shot and missed the first time. It took of running along the hedge row for about 100 yards then stopped. I had it in the bottom Half my scope when I let drive again. This time it tipped over dead. Amazed the hell out of me but didn't let it show and carried on like another day at the office. We range found it as best as we could to be 800 yards.
Could I do it again? Probably not but if the same situation arises I'd definitely try. Hopefull I'll be alone so when I miss nobody will be a witness .
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM

440 yd lasered shot on a coyote with the 6.5-06.

Best hunting 'group' was 2 shots 2 inches apart on the lungs of a bull moose running at 120 yards. 3rd shot was a bit high and hit spine, ending it all in a cloud of snow. I thought the first two missed until I got the hide off. Those buggers can soak up the lead! Rifle was a 300 WSM with 180 gr interbonds.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Best shot

Was hunting pheasants with some friends one time -flock flew up -everyone shot but pheasants kept flying. One fellow points his finger at a departing pheasant and says BOOM!- pheasant falls.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarck View Post
Was hunting pheasants with some friends one time -flock flew up -everyone shot but pheasants kept flying. One fellow points his finger at a departing pheasant and says BOOM!- pheasant falls.
Did he ask you to pull his finger, then you all would have fell over!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:10 PM

I can't really recall the BEST shot I ever made, a few are memorable, but I sure do recall the WORST shots I have made!

I guess one of the most ,memorable was a forkhorn mule deer quite a few years back at Wainwright.
Deer was at the bottom of a near straight down angle moving left you right through the poplars at a fairly quick speed.
Killed him with one shot, not really remarkable because I usually went through about 25 pounds of powder a year back then in that rifle.
What was remarkable was that the deer went over the embankment after I hit it the first time and three others shot at it as well.
I dusted him as he went over the end as well but only saw hair fly, but when we went to see over the edge, I was the only one with a loaded rifle!!
Everybody else forgot to reload before going to "check the meat"- pilgrim mistake!
Cat
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarck View Post
I hit a rooster on a pointer party with my Berreta O/U muzzle loader- misfired the bottom barrel, and by the time I cocked the top barrel , the rooster had the afterburners on!

I took a back shot on him, and figured I hit him ( feathers) and he went up to the very top of the clover and I saw land by a bale.
On Point came up with his dog, and I think Manitoban had his Mattie there as well.

Anyway, we were wondering if I actually hit the danged thing when I found the bird right about where I had marked it.
When I dressed it out, it had one pellet in it - right on the heart!!
Not bad penetration for a 2 3/4dram load of FFG out of a muzzle loading shotgun!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-24-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Yes Cat I can remember a few not so good shots as well. Also some good shots that ended up bad to. Funny how that works.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Best memorable shot I made was my very first at about 14 years old. It was on a white tail buck at about 20 yards with a 30.06. 180gr. Facing directly on, it lifted him off his feet and he crumpled down on the spot. Will never forget it.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I can't really recall the BEST shot I ever made, a few are memorable, but I sure do recall the WORST shots I have made!

I guess one of the most ,memorable was a forkhorn mule deer quite a few years back at Wainwright.
Deer was at the bottom of a near straight down angle moving left you right through the poplars at a fairly quick speed.
Killed him with one shot, not really remarkable because I usually went through about 25 pounds of powder a year back then in that rifle.
What was remarkable was that the deer went over the embankment after I hit it the first time and three others shot at it as well.
I dusted him as he went over the end as well but only saw hair fly, but when we went to see over the edge, I was the only one with a loaded rifle!!
Everybody else forgot to reload before going to "check the meat"- pilgrim mistake!
Cat
Agreed Cat, the worst shots whether it's a bow, smoke pole or rifle are the ones you never forget!

Merry Christmas to you and your wife Sir and wishing you a great time afield in 2015.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM

The best shots I've ever seen are right here. Go to 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztm3A50yGs

Merry Christmas everybody
Old 12-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Normanrd...gopher at 440yards (Ranged and confirmed kill) 220swift.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-24-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Banned

Now that's Shooting! lol Good for you L-C

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-24-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The best shots I've ever seen are right here. Go to 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztm3A50yGs

Merry Christmas everybody
That was a good giggle. Thanks. I loved that show.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:01 PM

Has happened twice for me - 2/2 , my best shots , first time a 4 litre milk jug , 2 nd time a surplus military helmet.

1000 yards. Both times. Seperate occasions. Set them up drove back to the zero line. Uncased my rifle , breathed , got in the zone and Kentucky wind aged , bang , hit , mouth dropped. Crap. Only set up the one target cause I figured it take me 10 shots and 20 minutes to nail them.

Splash one jug and one military helmet. Can you believe the 175 gr smk punched right a hole thru the front of the helmet ? Didn't make it out the back though. 308. At 2700 fps.

Cold bore head shots. Pretty cool. Like the movies. Lol.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:02 PM

487m neck shot deer was my longest kill. (270 WSM).
Old 12-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
487m neck shot deer was my longest kill. (270 WSM).
Nice!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:45 PM

One of my longest shots was a mule deer at 340 yards with my 308; one shot kill.

My most memorable was the same shot as I had to get the deer out of the bottom of one of the steepest gullies in Drumheller. The slopes were covered in fresh snow with little to hang onto or get any footing; one step up and slide five back down......-32C.

I'll never forget that hunt.

There is a reason that those mule deer run at the bottom because no one is stupid enough to go down there...oh wait a minute....lol.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Banned

Some good shot out there! I made some lucky shots. This year my bull elk four hundred yards he was trotting away and looked back one last time shot right in the shoulders then when I was 14 took a shot at 420 at a buck and missed but on second shot aimed over his head and got him right below the head in the spine it blew out the neck right below the jaw. I was restin on a fence post
Old 12-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Best shot I ever witnessed was my brother, clean kill on a whitetail at somewhere around 500 yards with a No 4 Mark 1
Old 12-24-2014, 03:58 PM

My most memorable. My first ever whitetail. Walked of off the road into the poplars and he ran out 15 yards in front of me and stood broadside. As soon as he came out I layed down in the snow. I think he was wondering what spooked him. I plugged him in the neck. Dropped like a bomb. Scored 165. Worst shooting I seen was 4 guys plugging away at a small whitetail buck. Buck ran across the road behind their suv and hit the top wire of the fence. He was hanging there and after 11 shots at less then 150 yards he took off into the bush without a mark. There excuse was the longest indoor rifle range.in Calgary was 80 yards.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Now that's Shooting! lol Good for you L-C
I didn't make the shot my buddy Normanrd did. My furthest shot was a deer 2 years ago 390 yards, hit where I was aiming twice.

LC
Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM

In 2010 antelope hunting we spotted a good buck in a herd of about 20 on the south side of an alfalfa field. I tried to stay low so they wouldn't see me. Then I belly crawled for about a 100 yards. Now I'm on the down ward slope with no place to hide. The antelope started getting up, I got the 243 set up on the bipod and pulled out my quality Bushnell yardage pro range finder. It wouldn't work. With the wind I figured I better hold about a foot above it's neck. When I shot it split him across the belly and it's guts fell out. Got closer and gave it the finishing shot. Not a shot I'm real proud of and probably wouldn't do it again. A lot of luck I think that I hit it and I'm guessing it was somewhere around 500yards.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I didn't make the shot my buddy Normanrd did. My furthest shot was a deer 2 years ago 390 yards, hit where I was aiming twice.

LC
How did it taste? That's all that really matters, right?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Default One shot

In 1977 I took up post on the roof of an abandoned Caterpiller crawler at the edge of a field. It wasn't 10 minutes and a buck and two does came down the trail right towards me. I took aim at the buck and touched it off at about 50 yards with my 30-06. As he was going to the ground I jumped off the dozer a little too aggressively nearly knocking the wind out of me. When I started to clean the deer my brother in law noticed a blood trail leading away. At first we thought the buck started to run off and came back but I didn't think my eyes were off him that long. Curious my brother in law followed the blood trail and a half mile later he found a dead doe. Two with one shot. Thank goodness he still had a tag.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 PM

My late brother in law (rest his soul) we were elk hunting with our longbows and as usual when the hunting slowed down we would amuse ourselves by throwing out challenging shots on the way back to camp after a morning hunt- I pointed out a chipmunk sitting ate the end of an outstretched log in in a brushpile at 65 yards, nocks an arrow on to his long bow and lets fly with a judo tipped shaft, a few seconds later impact, knocked that sucker off dead centre. We got on our knees and did the we're not worthy bow.

Myself, standing on point at a river bottom and my buddy is pushing deer. The deer must know I'm on point on the other side because they cross the ice to run along the river bottom on the other side. Numerous deer run by the other side and I can see my buddy weaving through, I look back the other side and I see this buck standing across about 65 yards, instinct took over and convinced myself I could make the shot, so arrow was knocked brought the long bow up and dead centre. Buck ran about 20 yards and piled up.

I do NOT advocate taking these types of shots but something takes over convincing yourself that you can make the shot and luckily we were both able to. Mind you we used to shoot thousands of arrows in those days.

Rifle 830 yard shot on an Elk with a 7mm STW, ranged it with the laser range finder solid rest from a blind made of square hay bales, so not much of a challenge.

Witnesses to all shots.