Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Default We were SO close to the elk so now I have some questions

So back from hunting again this weekend and we found our honey hole ! Yay! We had two encounters with some elk, my first EVER real encounters but we didn't get anything so I have some questions for all of you elk hunters. We found a herd of elk and went about a mile through the bush to get close enough trying to see if this one bedded down was a cow or bull. Scared him/her away (too fast to tell) though as we were coming out to the edge of the treeline for a better look. So,

1) Any tips for being steathy when trying to get closer? I noticed if you step on mossy parts of the ground it's very quiet and trying to catch on trees. Does camo help? (Dad does not believe it matters, but I think camo makes it pretty hard to spot a person). Do you believe scent matters? Again, dad doesn't believe this but I have heard a lot of opposite opinions.

2) We had an elk calling us from just inside the trees by our horses (definitely a real elk, not another hunter) but they were just little squeaky mews. Since the bulls are not bugling yet where we are hunting, I'm wondering how you can tell if it's a bull or a cow calling? We couldn't get it to come out into sight, but it was calling to us for 20 minutes... it was steady until we responded (very cool!). Wouldn't respond to the bugle, we just ended up scaring it off eventually.

3) Cow urine - we put out cow urine hoping the wind would pick it up and bring in a bull. We have put out urine for both deer and elk (in areas we have seen or encountered them) and have nothing respond yet this season. Will this only bring them in during rut?

4) We saw quite a few fresh tracks of a big cougar and two cubs in the area we were hunting in... how likely is a cougar to attack us? Or will they just keep an eye on us and stay out of our way? I know I'll have a gun, but those cats are sneaky!

Thanks so much for any advice you can give! I'm am going out on the weekend again with two friends who have never hunted for elk before, but I am keen to learn everything I can to make this season successful.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Camo helps break up your silhouette, making it harder for the animal(s) to spot you. Scent control is a big part, always watch the wind. Doesn't mean you have to go out and buy $350 ScentLok Jacket, but just try and keep your human scent to a minimum, spruce or earth cover scent helps.

Huge difference between bull and cow calls. A bull will let out a huge bugle, that's very loud and you will feel it in your gut, and the hair on your neck will stand up. Cows are usually soft, quiet mews like you said above. Elk rut is pretty much over I think, all this warm weather will end it shorter.

Urine, I don't use it personally because I can't stand smelling like that all day, but my brother swears by it. Never seen the need of it, if your down wind of an animal, they ain't gonna smell you.

Hope this helps.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-10-2010, 04:24 PM

A few tips that might help you. Camo works. Not neccessary, but helps a lot. Scent control helps. Again not neccessary as long as you pay close attention to the wind. Cow urine, not sure. But remember that when the scent drifts over to the elk, and the scent is right beside you.....your scent is going over there as well.
If you get spotted next time, fight the urge to crouch down. If the elk see you and you crouch, you have officially become a predator in attack mode. Don't expect them to stick around once they see that dark shadow about to pounce on them.