Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Beauvais Lake

I have heard a bit about it, but never actually fished the lake. Thinking of maybe heading down that way for some camping.
Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on fishing it? We most likely would be fly fishing but don't have float tubes. (we do have a canoe, but no roof racks, so should be considered to be shore bound) Can you have much success from shore? Is it just rainbows? Any decent sized fish? Any fly suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by Duk Dog; 06-14-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:40 PM

I have never fished it either but have heard there are Rainbows and browns in there. So start with a leech pattern (always works for me) and if nothing is taking the fly's start throwing out a Rapala for those browns.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 PM

You can certainly have success from shore. Pretty much anywhere it's not too shallow. As long as its not too windy you should have success. It's very heavily stocked. Browns are a little tougher to get though
Old 06-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Default beauvais

We had property there for a couple of years before selling, what a big mistake. Anyways I would bet some big chunks of packing foam that comes around computers or monitors and put your canoe on top of it, that is what I use to transport my canoe around and it doesn't scratch the car.
As for what to use, youcan bait fish from shore down off the bottom with worms , corn or fly fish with black or dark purple wolly buggers, pheasent tail nymph, very good tan elk hair caddis and blue winged Olive dry action near the weeds at the opposite end of the lake from the campground, easier if you bring your canoe. It can get very windy at Beauvais. Biggest brown I caught out of there was 24" and I caught it on a big black ant pattern 5' from from shore. Plenty of rainbows to go around but they are not as big as the browns. Bright green lures like a small flat fish and repalas worked well for the browns at the far end of the lake across from the cabins. Trolling worked well also, you need to try a variety of things while you are there. Good luck, post a message when you return.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I only got fishing briefly on Saturday night, with no luck. (one strike on a black/orange ant) I can see where a float tube or canoe/boat would make things easier. I will put some of your tips to use on our next trip down. Saw a few caught out on the lake but they all looked smallish. There were fish rising but just beyond where I could cast - had some issues with the high bank on some of my back casts.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey Duk Dog I am itching to head out to the mountains. Let me know next time you head out there we could meet up. I have an extra belly boat if you want to use it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Thinking about heaidng up that way this weekend anyone have some updates on whats working and whats not?