Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
They were the Government for 10 years, why didn't they make this change then? Is this just about magazine size and inconvenience for competitive shooters?

I doubt that there are many votes left in this issue.
Precisely and to add to that they were a majority government for much of that time

Yet rather than revamping the firearms act entirely and fixing the significant problems it has they the CPC supposedly supported us on - they tinkered around the edges and then voted in essentially the same legislation as the Liberal's introduced in the mid 90's

That makes the Firearms Act a conservative piece of legislation (no longer a Liberal one).

That makes the conservatives not friends of the firearms community.

While predicting election results is tricky -- I see Mr. Bernier as the probable winner at this point (Yet Mr' O Leary is awild card)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
There are far more states with excessive guns regulations ,

than there is states with relaxed gun regulations,,,,,
Don't tell that ^ to the "I want to move to the US" Gun Freaks here ... you'll give them a Heart Attack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Precisely and to add to that they were a majority government for much of that time

Yet rather than revamping the firearms act entirely and fixing the significant problems it has they the CPC supposedly supported us on - they tinkered around the edges and then voted in essentially the same legislation as the Liberal's introduced in the mid 90's

That makes the Firearms Act a conservative piece of legislation (no longer a Liberal one).

That makes the conservatives not friends of the firearms community.

While predicting election results is tricky -- I see Mr. Bernier as the probable winner at this point (Yet Mr' O Leary is awild card)
Of the ~ 10 years the CPC ran the government, they only had a majority government for the last 4 years. And during those last four years, they couldn't risk being seen as overly soft on gun issues, as much of central Canada is 'not gun friendly'. Under the circumstances (and wanting to get re-elected again), I think they did the best job that could be done.

As for Maxime Bernier, he appears to be the best CPC Leadership Candidate for us hunting folks, but one of the other candidates (Pierre Lemieux) also shows promise. Gawd help us if O'Leary gets in ... he don't know squat about hunting or guns!

Mac
Old 02-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Don't tell that ^ to the "I want to move to the US" Gun Freaks here ... you'll give them a Heart Attack!

Of the ~ 10 years the CPC ran the government, they only had a majority government for the last 4 years. And during those last four years, they couldn't risk being seen as overly soft on gun issues, as much of central Canada is 'not gun friendly'. Under the circumstances (and wanting to get re-elected again), I think they did the best job that could be done.

As for Maxime Bernier, he appears to be the best CPC Leadership Candidate for us hunting folks, but one of the other candidates (Pierre Lemieux) also shows promise. Gawd help us if O'Leary gets in ... he don't know squat about hunting or guns!

Mac
Exactly! While the Conservatives have not done as much as we would like to make our firearms laws less restrictive, they at least did away with the long gun registry, as well as easing the conditions for transporting restricted firearms, something that neither the Liberals or NDP would have done. Any guesses as to what the Liberals will do concerning firearms legislation, before the next election?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

. . . Any guesses as to what the Liberals will do concerning firearms legislation, before the next election?

Sorry, but I'm afraid to even guess

May 'The Force' be with us,

Mac
Old 02-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

Mac
Are you suggesting that 4 years as a majority government was not enough time to overhaul a single piece of legislation that they have been publicly bloviating about for the past 20 years?

They had every opportunity and means - they just did not care and took our support for granted.

Lets review some of the other ways the Conservative Party of Canada treated our community:
Reclassification of the Swiss Arms Rifles
Reclassification of the CZ-858 rifles
Acting all 'surprised and outrages' when the reclassification first happened - then releasing documentation to prove they knew about it months before and approved
reversing the ban the evening before an election through an order in Council
Banning of the "large capacity" banana clip 10/22 magazines
The closure of how many approved restricted gun ranges in Alberta alone?

Yea -- big supporters of the firearms community the CPC is...with friends like them we don't really even need the anti's

But hey...keep voting for the cons....if you keep doing the same things of course you will get a different outcome eventually right
Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that 4 years as a majority government was not enough time to overhaul a single piece of legislation that they have been publicly bloviating about for the past 20 years?

They had every opportunity and means - they just did not care and took our support for granted.

Lets review some of the other ways the Conservative Party of Canada treated our community:
Acting all 'surprised and outrages' when the reclassification first happened - then releasing documentation to prove they knew about it months before and approved

Yea -- big supporters of the firearms community the CPC is...with friends like them we don't really even need the anti's

But hey...keep voting for the cons....if you keep doing the same things of course you will get a different outcome eventually right
Let us see what the current Liberal government does before the next election, concerning our firearms laws .
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Let us see what the current Liberal government does before the next election, concerning our firearms laws .
The Liberals may well make a move against firearms before the next election - only time will tell.

They made some in-ways into the West in the next election and I'm not sure they will want to lose that by going after firearms again but we will see.

My question is - even if the Liberals are worse are we wise to continue to blindly support a party that is no better than the Liberals for our community?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

Your solution is clear, thanks for the advice.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Your solution is clear, thanks for the advice.
Obviously the solution is to go by a CPC membership and vote for whoever says they love guns the most.

Kelly Leitch for sure - added bonus she is FOR SURE the MOST electable of the crew in a general election.... sarcasm obviously

Honestly.....I think we need to work within existing parties (left and right) and push pro hunting and firearms policies into these parties so it is not a partisan issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I dont like the sound of daily back round checks. There would have to be some very strict lines on what could cause a license to be revoked. To me thats a safety valve if the antis put a bill or whatever forward to change the minimum crime to parking tickets then most people would be done. As for renewing its not a bad thing that we do it every 5 years. Lets you update info and pictures semi regularly all we need is a minimum return time and a temp license. Just like drivers. Im probably not reading it well enough but its a good start.
Daily back ground checks are already policy, that's why he want to extend the renewal to 10 years... I believe.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Obviously the solution is to go by a CPC membership and vote for whoever says they love guns the most.

Kelly Leitch for sure - added bonus she is FOR SURE the MOST electable of the crew in a general election.... sarcasm obviously

Honestly.....I think we need to work within existing parties (left and right) and push pro hunting and firearms policies into these parties so it is not a partisan issue.
And when was the last time the liberals did anything at all for the firearm community.

I'm not happy that the Cans didn't do more, but at least they did something for us. We need to push them to do more.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up This -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And when was the last time the liberals did anything at all for the firearm community.

I'm not happy that the Cans didn't do more, but at least they did something for us. We need to push them to do more.
For us hunters & gun owners, the CPC has always been the lesser of the three evils (CPC / Libs / NDP). In spite of all their shortcomings, the CPC are the best we have to work with.

I belong to the CPC (card carrying member), and I'll be participating in choosing the new CPC leader. Each of us has a choice ... stay on the sidelines and do nothing more than b*tch & complain, or get involved and become a part of the solution. Give some thought to choosing the latter.

Mac
Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

The Liberals gave us C-68, enough said.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Canadian Firearms laws are broken, and I want to fix them.

At the whim of a bureaucrat, firearms are assigned new classifications.

Legally purchased firearms are being made illegal, even though no laws have changed.

This needs to stop.

The firearms laws are so complicated, and so convoluted, that they have become the perfect example of injustice in the name of justice.

To fix this, I propose we replace the current Firearms Act with clear legislation based on reason, not on fear.

Firearms ownership is part of our shared Canadian heritage. We are a country founded on the fur trade. This needs to be recognized.

I also recognize that we need to protect public safety and avoid the excesses that exist south of the border.

There are three main areas to look at when considering firearms legislation. Licensing; classification of firearms; and magazine sizes.

I do not propose that we replace our current licensing system. Instead, we should ensure that firearms safety courses are more readily available, especially in rural and remote areas.

I will double the length of firearms licenses from 5 to 10 years.

Firearms license-holders are automatically subjected to daily background checks. If a firearms license-holder commits a crime, his or her license is revoked. There is no need to go through the renewal process every 5 years.

We need to provide clear, non-arbitrary legislation for what constitutes a non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearm.

Firearms should not be classified based on how they look, but on how they function.

I propose the following classifications:
Non-Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited or restricted firearm.

Prohibited:

(a) a fully-automatic firearm,

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted, is less than 660 mm in length.

(c) a firearm that is listed as prohibited prior to June 20, 2016.

Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise.

This is in line with the Simplified Classification System, adopted by Conservative members at the Policy Convention in Vancouver last year.

The current regulation of magazine sizes is irrational. Our internationally competitive shooters are forced to practice with magazines below standard capacity.

This makes no sense. It’s clear that those who are not inclined to follow the law will not be deterred by having to remove a rivet from a magazine.

My proposal would repeal the ineffective, and frankly nonsensical, magazine capacity restrictions.

The classification of firearms should not change by the whim of the RCMP, or cabinet. It should require a change in law through Parliament to re-classify a firearm.

To respect our Canadian tradition of firearms ownership, and the principle of fairness, I would have the Canadian government reimburse all firearms owners for their loss of property resulting from the implementation of Bill C-68, and any subsequent legislation that caused the confiscation of their legally purchased firearms.

This policy, like all my policies, is based on freedom and responsibility, fairness and respect.

I believe it is the right answer for firearms legislation in Canada.

Seems to be pretty rational to me. Not as far reaching as I'd like, but a sensible step in the right direction.
Amen brother your preaching to the choir here. I sometimes think those making the gun laws have never seen a gun other than in a picture let alone handled one.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Here's an interview of Bernier by Rod Giltaca from the CCFR on the issue:

https://youtu.be/59QhomszVx4
Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I understand that there are some states that have relatively restrictive firearms laws, obviously California being one, but to call Canada the Wild West? In California one can carry concealed, with a permit of course. That sounds better than our 'you should not rely on yourself for defense' gun laws.
Try rural/northern western Canada. Compared to liberal paradise it is the Wild West, even with our restrictions.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post
If I read the classifications correctly then all firearms not prohibited would be restricted and there would be no firearms left to be classified as non restricted.

Is this a trap to restrict firearms further????
Did you miss the part labelled "Non-Restricted"?

Quote:
Non-Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited or restricted firearm.
So anything 660mm+ long, that isn't fully automatic, will be non-restricted.

Very simple. If it isn't automatic or short, it's non-restricted, with no magazine capacity limitations.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Arrow Hope !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandb View Post
Here's an interview of Bernier by Rod Giltaca from the CCFR on the issue:

https://youtu.be/59QhomszVx4
I think that's ^ very encouraging, especially given that Bernier is not a gun owner or hunter!

It's a 'looong' way to go, though. First Bernier has to become the CPC leader, and then eventually form a CPC majority government.

Time will tell !
Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Bernier is taking an increasingly firm stance on kiboshing supply management (not wise). Will be a tougher decision than I previously thought..