Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Rawson Lake

Hey all

Looking to fish Kananaskis lakes and Rawson lake as well this weekend. Any body been up there lately? not asking for spots or anything. I hear there can be snow up by Rawson this time of year? Also can you shore fish Rawson lake?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Haven't been to Rawson this year, but no problem shore fishing. Most people do who go up there. Only a few take float tubes.

Beautiful spot. There may be a little snow on the slopes above the lake, but likely none down along the shore.

You might want to check to make sure the trail is open. Lots of closed trails in K country right now due to the bear activity. Heavy Buffaloberry crop, so the bears are very active and seeking out berry bushes - and there is often lots of Buffaloberry along the hiking trails. They can be somewhat oblivious when their face is full of berries, so be careful. Take bear spray.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Just checked the Kananaskis advisories (you can find it on google pretty easily) and there are numerous closures and advisories there. The trail to Rawson is currently open, but with an advisory. The Interlakes area is closed. Just be aware if you head there.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM

I haven't been up there yet this year, but I think I might go up tomorrow or Sunday of the trail up is still open. Yes.... there can be snow up there at this time of year... I took this pic last year in mid August. As others have said, beautiful place, although busy with hikers.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM

I will be up there this weekend with my girlfriend. She just bought a new set of waders that she needs to break in. Ive heard Rawson is fairly decent for shore fishing but most people that i talk to say to toss on the waders and walk a little ways in. Any idea what type of flies to use? Ive never fished this area. Also, know of any streams near by?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:59 PM

There were caddis and stones coming off the stream 6wks ago when I hiked up there
Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
There were caddis and stones coming off the stream 6wks ago when I hiked up there
Sweet!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Gorgeous pic!....I have not fished the lake but have been up to it mostly in winter.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Was up there a few weeks ago just before it opened for fishing. Trail was clear and no snow around the lake. Easy access for shore fishing
Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM

try bright nymphs under an indicator or small streamers (I like wooly buggers with an orange hotspot).

mind your fish handling and have fun

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 PM

Was up last weekend. Follow the trail to were it opens up to the rock piles. I fished the steep drop offs there with a prince nymph 4ft under a big moth looking thing as an indicator. Caught on both, the water is so clear you can see them coming up 10-15ft away for the hit.

It seemed they would not hit while there was a ripple on the water. As soon as the breeze would stop and the water went to glass they would smash anything that hit the water
Old 07-30-2016, 09:49 PM

have fun, caught a lot of cuts out of there in the past... belly boat cowboys did no better than i did, but they probably had better pictures . Do not be a feared of try'n a black rooster tail .. drives the purists crazy but it works ... let us know
Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM

I was up there today. Caught a few cuts and a few rainbows. I didn't think they put any in or someone messed up and put them in . If that was done on purpose I think they are making a big mistake. Not sure why rainbows are in that lake.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Do you have a picture of these (rainbows)
Not sure the lake has been stocked in years since the Cutts are spawning on their own. Original cutthroat stock from Job lake fish
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM

Unlikely to be any rainbows in there. As above, any pictures?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Hiked up to lake and caught a few good sized cutts. Was driven off the mountain after a load of hail decided to rain down on me. Be warned as I did see a grizzly. he was more scared of me than I was him but be warned.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM

No I didn't take any pics. While i was fishing someone said they caught rainbows and I told him he was mistaken. And a few minutes after thinking this guy was out to lunch I got one. It had absolutely no orange around the gills. I have never caught a cut with no orange.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
No I didn't take any pics. While i was fishing someone said they caught rainbows and I told him he was mistaken. And a few minutes after thinking this guy was out to lunch I got one. It had absolutely no orange around the gills. I have never caught a cut with no orange.
Cutties do not always have the slash under the gills. It is only one of several identifying features and though it is the most noticable, it can also lead to mis-identification if it's not there.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM

Well that was the case than. I can honestly say I've never caught a cutty in that lake without a orange slash.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:21 AM

There are NO rainbows in the lake. The lake has not been stocked for many years and its all cutties but there are some coloration differences.