Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM

Default Eastern slope streams.

Did anybody brave the elements and the crowds to fish the eastern slope streams around Rocky and the FTR this weekend.
Thinking about heading down on Monday for a couple days and was wondering about levels and flow rates. I see on the AB Gov. site that they are dropping, but are they fishable?
Thinking about the North Ram, Elk, Prairie et al.
PS...anyone see any hoppers bouncing around?
Old 07-31-2016, 06:21 PM

Hi I was there on Tuesday/Wednesday this past week. I was fishing north of Hwy 11 on the Blackstone. River levels were high and visibility was low. Fishing was very slow. River flow levels look higher now than they were earlier this week, so I'd suggest going somewhere else. I scared up a few small bulls and some whites, both on nymphs/streamers. My buddy got nothing on the dries.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 PM

Floated the Clearwater today, levels were high and visibility low.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 PM

Hopper fishing should be decent, did pretty well with stonefly patterns on a small creek near caroline the other day. I've heard that all the cutty waters are high and dirty. Heading out to prairie or somewhere nearby tomorrow for browns, ill post here with how I make out
Old 08-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Default Ftr

South Ram was high and almost clear, no fish caught. Hummingbird was clear, and pretty good yesterday.

Terry
Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Not a good couple days on the prairie. It was murky but about normal flow rates. Four vehicles parked at strachan campground bridge when I aarived... so i went upstream instead and got a few brookies but no browns.
First thing this morning it was still murky....about 3 feet or so, but nothing rising and nothing taking my nymph offerings either..
all around bad trip, lost a sole on one of my wading boots, got some sort of gum infection and managed to catch more bushes than fish.
Oh well, atleast i was fishing.