Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Default kananaskis area fishing

hey all, I've done a decent bot of fishing around nordegg area but haven't spent anytime fishing the around kananaskis, the wife and i are going to spend 4-5 days camping in the area the second week of august and would appreciate any tip on where to maybe try fishing. i was thinking about elbow lake, upper and lower k lakes and trying to check out a few streams in the area.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Will you be fishing from shore, or do you have a boat of some sort, or a float tube?

There are quite a few lakes in the area. Rawson Lake is gorgeous, as are Pickle Jar Lakes. Both are what most would consider "moderate" hikes. Wedge Pond has arctic grayling, and the previous 2 lakes have cutties. Elbow is a great place to catch brookies, but their growth is stunted, so they are all pretty small.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM

X2 on Rawson and Picklejar, very nice lakes.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
hey all, I've done a decent bot of fishing around nordegg area but haven't spent anytime fishing the around kananaskis, the wife and i are going to spend 4-5 days camping in the area the second week of august and would appreciate any tip on where to maybe try fishing. i was thinking about elbow lake, upper and lower k lakes and trying to check out a few streams in the area.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Head farther South. Do the Crowsnest, Livingstone, Oldman, Castle... It's and extra 1 1/2 hours.
R will love it. Tons of history. Some gorgeous B&B's. And some really beautiful water.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM

I've caught trout at Pickle Jar Lakes, Upper Kananaskis, Three Isles Lakes, Sibbald Meadows Pond (stocked yearly), and Lillian Lake.

Was at Elk Lake in Banff on the weekend and had a blast catching cutties and rainbows. Bit of hike in to get there though.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM

Sibbald overheated and killed off majority of the stocked fish. The weekend they stocked them they came back Monday and dead fish everywhere
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM

Rawson is beautiful and the cutties are aggressive and hungry
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Sibbald overheated and killed off majority of the stocked fish. The weekend they stocked them they came back Monday and dead fish everywhere
That was Sibbald Lake....Not the pond
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 AM

It has been a number of years now but I recall being allowed to use a boat with a gas motor on the upper and lower Kananaskis Lakes.
Is this still the case?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
It has been a number of years now but I recall being allowed to use a boat with a gas motor on the upper and lower Kananaskis Lakes.
Is this still the case?
Yes, motor boats are allowed, however, I'm not familiar with any other regulations such as max speed, etc. Both lakes still have boat launches.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Yes, motor boats are allowed, however, I'm not familiar with any other regulations such as max speed, etc. Both lakes still have boat launches.
Thanks, I have a 14'er with a 9.9 outboard..... Do recall is the boat activity is high or low.
I am thinking the middle of the week is best?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Even on a hot sunny weekend I have never seen more than half a dozen motor boats on upper k. Most traffic issues will be with canoes, kayaks and paddle boards all over the lake in the dozens.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 PM

Bear activity is off the charts right now, due to "bumper crop" of Buffalo and other berries. We are headed there next week, so will be watching the advisories and trail closures closely.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 PM

Was out earlier in the week hi way 40 the whole way to the turn for upper and lower trails closed and once in Peter L park same story.....seen Grizz in ditch and 20 cars stop to visit him/her and a big black on the side of the hill 50 yards away have his was with berry bush.....not sure I would want to be camping in a tent...
Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Looks like the Upper Lakes Boat launch day use area is closed, though the launch itself looks open. Keep your eyes peeled getting on and off the water, especially if you are moving a smelly retained fish to your vehicle