Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Funny how you talk so fondly of your father, which you should, but you would talk such trash about another board member's father.

Speaks to one's lack of character and propensity to be a hypocrite.
Geezeeeeeeeee...........You should top trying to derail threads and taking them into a big black hole, just saying! Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM

WORST shooting I have ever seen was back in the early 90's, at Calgary International Airport. I was the operations manager, and we had a deer on the airfield that we'd been chasing all day, trying to get it outside the fence, without success.

Since the sun was going down, I ran out of options for a "live" resolution, so I authorized the airport RCMP detachment to put the animal down...simply could NOT have a deer potentially wander onto a runway in the dark.

With the exception of the Corporal manning the office, the entire detachment attended (12 of them). Keep in mind they each had their service sidearms (S&W .40). We had 3 Police vehicles, each with a Remington 870, slugs & 00Buck, an HK MP5 selective fire. The detachment had a Remington 700 in .308, and three additional shotguns. Added to that, two airfield maintenance staff with 870's loaded with 00Buck borrowed from the RCMP.

5 vehicles and 14....that's right, FOURTEEN people, 12 of them Police Officers, cornered the animal against an inside corner of the perimeter fence, formed a semi-circle at about 30 yards and let fly with a HORRIFIC barrage of lead.

Dust & Dirt flew, chunks of chain-link fence flew, a ridiculous number of rounds of various calibre flew ( I don't remember the exact count, but I know almost everyone emptied the weapons they were using, so that would push the count into the hundreds)....and through the dust an absolutely Terrified deer "Flew" away from the carnage, one rear leg spinning in circles at the knee.

The deer was eventually found & put down. With all of the lead flying, it was only struck by 3 rounds; 2 - 9mm presumably from the MP-5's and one .40 from a service weapon. No slugs, no Buckshot, no .308 rounds hit the deer. Our fence? WHOLE other story...or should I say "HOLE" other story. It looked like a bunch of people with a lot of weaponry had a Vietnam style "mad minute"...it was shot to pieces. A couple of poles shot in half, the chainlink was shredded to a point where we had to replace about 30 feet of it that night.

To this day I'm amazed at the whole thing. I did not think it was possible to have 14 of the worst shots in the entire country in one place, at one time, all shooting at a large target and missing it for the most part. I do know that after a long conversation with the Detachment NCO, every member involved had to re-shoot their qualification shoots immediately
Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM

Location: south west of calgary in the foothills just east of kananaskis
Default dropped elk on in tracks with Bow 40 yards.

was hunting on a ridge last morning of the season with my dad in the bowzone. Dad had a heard of elk comin by at 40 yards i was about 200 yards back watching with the binos. he drew back and took a shot at the lead cow and over shot. she turned and took the arrow right to the back of the head. reared up, went ass over tea kettle and down right on the spot. couldnt get the arrow out. went and had the skull beetle cleaned. broad head still stuck in the brain stem cavity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-01-19-16-38-20~2.jpg (31.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshot89 View Post
was hunting on a ridge last morning of the season with my dad in the bowzone. Dad had a heard of elk comin by at 40 yards i was about 200 yards back watching with the binos. he drew back and took a shot at the lead cow and over shot. she turned and took the arrow right to the back of the head. reared up, went ass over tea kettle and down right on the spot. couldnt get the arrow out. went and had the skull beetle cleaned. broad head still stuck in the brain stem cavity.
Great conversation piece for years to come. Congrats to your dad, thanks for posting.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM

Old thread but good reading...

Personal best was a grouse two years ago. Had my savage 24, which has a external hammer with a selector on it. Top barrel 22lr, bottom 410. We come up to this grouse on a trail, my buddy shoots and misses with his bow at the same time as I shoot with the 22. The sound of his bow surprised me a little and I pulled the shot...grouse pops straight up and starts to fly away, I flip the selector, recock the hammer, swing the gun and nail it just as it hits the bush. All of this happened in less than a second. Instinct and reflexes I guess
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 PM

At 240 yds, standing offhand, orange juice 1.89L cardboard jugs.
With a 22-250 varminter. Several times, hitting 1 out of 4 to 5 attempts depending on my form on a given day.

They were standing on a shelf, 40" off the ground, filled with water.

That was about 6 years ago. No way I could replicate that without getting back into training for it.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 PM

shot a clay pigeon out of the air with a scoped .22lr (dont ask how many attempts were made )

First round hit at 732 yards in a 15-40mph variable wind.

Had a friend shoot a clay pigeon at 250 yards with a rifled shotgun slug off-hand
Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 PM

What a timely topic ! This Coyote was shot just this afternoon by my nephew.
It was on a hillside at a lasered 463 yds facing dead-on at us. There was not a reasonable shot presented, but he chose to try it. With a Rem 700 .243 he selected a 95 Berger VLD and from his Bi-pods he called his hold and sent it.
Bingo .. right between the peepers, just as he called it. One of the best field shots I have ever witnessed and I probably won't see another quite like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote .. 463 yds 001.jpg (76.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Was out gopher shooting with the nephews a few years back. Set up a target at about 25yd for them to sight in. Sheet thumbtacked to a tree. Needless to say, before i got a shot they emptied all their clips. I said you left me nothing to shoot but the thumbtack. Shoulder the 22 and fired one off quick. Punched the tack and the sheet floated to the ground. Had them pretty well convinced i was a sharpshooter. Lol
Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Knocked a cock pheasant out of the sky with a .22 shotshell. I was about 14 at the time and didn't know any better.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

This ranks as one of my families best shots.
About 5 years ago when I was teaching my (than 5) year old shooting we were out plinking at some tin cans.
The agreement with my wife was to wait till he was 6 before introducing him to powderburners.
In a field we had set up some tin cans at 30m (for my pellet rifle) and 15 feet for his Red Ryder b.b. gun.
After a while he and his 4 year old brother starting in on my about how, after shooting they wanted to go to Toys R Us for some Lego.
I told them we had just been there a week ago...'course that didn't sit well.
So I told the 5 year old that if he could hit one of my tin cans on the first shot...we'd go to the toy store.
Now anyone who has shot one knows that 30m is pretty much an impossible shot with a Red Ryder.
Well damned if he didn't take aim...the front of the barrel wavering up and down and he pulls the trigger. A full second later we heard a little 'ping' and one of the cans moved about 2in.
That shot cost me 25 bucks in Lego!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default Not my shot, but the most amazing I've seen

I was bowhunting in the Millarville bowzone. Ran into a fellow hunting with a long bow. Sat down for some chit chat with him. We were sitting in a clearing, just on the edge of the trees. The trees were generally 6" poplars, mostly spaced sufficiently that you could see 25-30 yards inside the bush. A herd of elk appeared out of nowhere and were travelling single file about 20 yards in. A shot for me wasn't practical as I did not feel skilled enough to make a clean shot, it would have been a Hail Mary shot for me. I watched him draw his bow (no sights whatsoever). He lead a cow that was moving I'd say 10 MPH, picked an alley way through the trees for his arrow. Released, I watched that arrow travel it's patch and connect dead on in the boiler room. The cow travelled a bit further. We waited a half hour and tracked her easily 50 or so yards from where she'd been hit. When we came upon her, she was stone cold dead. I had never seen such a display of skills with a bow and likely never will again. That day is solidly imprinted in my memory bank. This was approximately 30 years ago.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I was bowhunting in the Millarville bowzone. Ran into a fellow hunting with a long bow. Sat down for some chit chat with him. We were sitting in a clearing, just on the edge of the trees. The trees were generally 6" poplars, mostly spaced sufficiently that you could see 25-30 yards inside the bush. A herd of elk appeared out of nowhere and were travelling single file about 20 yards in. A shot for me wasn't practical as I did not feel skilled enough to make a clean shot, it would have been a Hail Mary shot for me. I watched him draw his bow (no sights whatsoever). He lead a cow that was moving I'd say 10 MPH, picked an alley way through the trees for his arrow. Released, I watched that arrow travel it's patch and connect dead on in the boiler room. The cow travelled a bit further. We waited a half hour and tracked her easily 50 or so yards from where she'd been hit. When we came upon her, she was stone cold dead. I had never seen such a display of skills with a bow and likely never will again. That day is solidly imprinted in my memory bank. This was approximately 30 years ago.
That's bizarre. I would say there was an equal dose of skill and good fortune behind that arrow
Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
That's bizarre. I would say there was an equal dose of skill and good fortune behind that arrow
When I lived in the big city, I used to go to Robin Hood Archery lanes to practise. IIRC. Behind the Blackfoot Inn off of 58th. I often ran into that very same fellow out there shooting his long bow. Let me confirm that based on what I saw at the archery lane, there was more skill than luck involved.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM

IncrediGirl and the kids were plinking with the Airsoft pistols one afternoon last summer, and she saw a sowbug crawling by, near the target. She did a point-and-shoot, and nailed it.

Later that summer, she was helping her sister investigate a vole infestation in their back yard. Suddenly a vole appeared on top of a woodpile. Incredigirl picked up a rock and beaned it solidly - instant kill - much to the admiration of our kids and their cousins.

Watching her lay waste in a gopher field is stunning.

Needless to say, I am a very well-behaved husband...
Old 01-20-2016, 01:45 PM

Had quite a few 400 plus kills on coyotes. Best one for sure was witnessed and paced off at 497 yards so could have been plus or minus a few. Quartering away on a full out run and had my 300 Wby. The bullet quite literally caught his eye ball on the near side. Might have touched and eyelash or two but no hair at all. The fellow with me kept shouting "THAT HAD TO BE 500 YARDS" over and over again when he rolled.

I killed a 178" mule buck in 2005 mid bounce. He died in the air and snapped his main beam as it dug into the turf when he landed. Also witnessed.

This last fall I brought two Canada geese down with one shot. Two witnesses for that one.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:10 PM

Hit a full water jug at 800m with my .270 first shot. Total luck as I didn't have a clue what the hold over should be. Luckily there were witnesses.