Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Why not a scout rifle next time?

I am a recent convert to the long eye relief /scout rifle.Easy to shoulder and sight game and some do this with both eyes open, it is great to carry-my BLR carries like s model 94 carbine and is the same overall length, scope never fogs or cuts up your brow and a big guy can now have a short length of pull and I can bore sight my BLR takedown and keeps poi.Did I say it carries nice?-that is an understatement.Yeah ,I shortened both ends of my takedown(270 win) Anybody else out there experience the same? Cheers
Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 PM

I don't have any of those issues you speak about either!
Cat
Old 01-11-2016, 05:53 PM

I am quite a fan of ier scopes. Mind you, I don't have much experience with normal 'carry handles' as most of my life has been spent with levers and irons. I have a ruger gsr with a burris 2.75x20 fixed. The only thing I've noticed is the mirage effect of a hot barrel is more pronounced / more quickly presents itself.

Colin
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM

I had a scout mount setup on my marlin 45-70 guide gun. I think it looks really cool and i liked the idea of being able to use my irons or my scope(had quick release rings) Although i do admit i am not a big fan of the forward weight bias. Defintely does not point like my model seven(best balanced rifle I've ever shot).

So i guess I'm kinda not a fan of the scout or I'm undecided still? Maybe it would be better on a smaller bolt rifle setup?

hardy
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 AM

I have one on my Gunsite scout and it works great, I can retain the rear sight also so that's a plus as well. The only thing that I worry about is sun reflection from behind me, but it hasn't been an issue yet.