Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 PM

Making bacon!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
In my very unprofessional opinion, that pig looks like a tamworth or duroc or maybe a combination cross. Wild boar mature to be black. I should know as I breed european wild boar.

Whatever it is, it looks like free sausage, chops, and steaks to me.

It could be a Mangalitsa, Duroc cross, or Tamworth, Mangalitsa cross. Mangalitsa are a long haired breed. Duroc and Tamworth are short haired red hogs.

Or it could be a Duroc, Russian wild boar cross. That would also explain the long hair. Although I suspect the wild boar gene would result in a much darker hog. Maybe not black but at least a very dark red.

Tamworth and Duroc cross breeds seem to come out red more often then not.

Most domestic breeds are short haired.

My dad raised hogs as has several close relatives and a couple of close friends. I've learned a bit hanging out with them, and growing up on a farm with hogs.

But I am also far from being an expert on hogs.

The only thing I know for sure about them, is it's better to just shoot them and drag them to where you want them rather then trying to herd them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Hard to tell for sure from that angle, but it looks like a barrow. If that’s the case it should be good eating.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Banned

Escaped livestock, hence off limits. Same as wild horse. Never mind how many generations it will survived in a wild.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:33 PM

a little off topic but kind of in the same vein and I'll give you the readers digest version. Hunting in the Porcupines back in the early 90's and my buddy and I cut the biggest elk tracks we had ever seen so decided we had to follow them in the new snow. Went about 150 yards and found a buffalo all covered in snow laying under a tree. Buff got up, gave himself a shake and wandered off while we just looked at each other with that wtf look.
Anyway, F&W fella later told us it was probably an escapee from a farm and would be classified as Feral Livestock and we could have legally shot and kept it.
Wondering if the same applied to pigs.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Think it could survive the winter being domestic and all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pigs are lot smarter then dogs and the instinct to survive is still wild and strong deep down in their brains.... he will survive and he will make more... and more and more little piggies ..... best make bacon, while he is still dumb enough to let you see him in the daytime.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:35 PM

What is it with big pigs.

Was driving down the highway about ten miles from the house and just cranked the wheel, a 400 plus pig ran right across the road missed him by inches and he stood 50 feet in the bush, my grandson said shoot him and I explained about no shooing off the roads specially a highway. Old bush road I would have given him 180 grns of pain reliever.

Dam they would do a number on a grill and engine or flip the truck if you climb over him, happens with bears.

That guy would do damage for sure at 60 miles an hour, maybe kills you and he walks away.

So shoot him before this happens. Plus I hear ICU is not the place to be right now.

JD
Old 11-25-2020, 03:57 AM

IMG_2839.JPG
Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 AM

That guy needs a bowtie and a tophat!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
Escaped livestock, hence off limits. Same as wild horse. Never mind how many generations it will survived in a wild.
Call the Brand Inspector, escaped livestock is his domain.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
This pig has been seeing a few times about 1/2 mile from my cabin I'm guessing it's a tame one that was released by someone or got loose

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Got tired of the lineups at the GP Costco maybe?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 AM

If you know where my cabin is you'll know where this pig is you can go as permission good luck

Old 11-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
What is it with big pigs.

Was driving down the highway about ten miles from the house and just cranked the wheel, a 400 plus pig ran right across the road missed him by inches and he stood 50 feet in the bush, my grandson said shoot him and I explained about no shooing off the roads specially a highway. Old bush road I would have given him 180 grns of pain reliever.

Dam they would do a number on a grill and engine or flip the truck if you climb over him, happens with bears.

That guy would do damage for sure at 60 miles an hour, maybe kills you and he walks away.

So shoot him before this happens. Plus I hear ICU is not the place to be right now.

JD
I remember reading that pigs are about the worst thing you can run into, like hitting a brick wall almost depending on size of course.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-25-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I remember reading that pigs are about the worst thing you can run into, like hitting a brick wall almost depending on size of course.
I seen bears roll over pick up trucks ,they hold together real well,so if that pig is near any road wack it.

I pig that size hit by a car may kill the driver or others inside and even in a truck I would bet big time you won't want to hit anther. There's no give in there body matter ,it's like a hard big ball of rubber. I seen trucks flip with pigs and some were dead,but there bodies weren't even torn up.

Who would expect a 400 pig to run out it front of your truck in a non farming area, I know there's farmers 25 miles away but they can cover 25 miles I guess in good time. I think if the kid wasn't with me I would have walked in and shot it, but parking close to dark on a busy highway isn't worth it risking the kids life. plus what if there were a few more crossing and then it's pig pin ball with trucks.

JD
Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I found this.

Quote:
“A buddy of mine who drives a logging truck hit one last fall,” said Crispin Skinner, at Prairie View-Texas A&M Cooperative Extension agent in Nacogdoches County.

“He hit that 400-pound bad boy and had to have the whole front end of his truck rebuilt,” Skinner said.
Dang hog took out a logging truck.

A Honda Civic wouldn't stand a chance with that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Loose pigs are a public safety issue. Shoot and make sausage.

If any of my pigs won't stay in the pen, they get shot. I don't care if they're only 50 pounds.

MMMM piggy roast.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:13 PM

My opinion is first to call and visit all the neighbors around. If none of them own it, shoot it. You never know if someone's teenager is driving home at dusk and hits him.

Make sausage and pork chops, and be happy that you possibly saved someone's life.

I find that a .357 mag carbine works very well on pigs, and doesn't leave too much blood shot if you shoot him in the head or in the ear.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM

I won't be back up there for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Loose pigs are a public safety issue. Shoot and make sausage.

If any of my pigs won't stay in the pen, they get shot. I don't care if they're only 50 pounds.

MMMM piggy roast.
Exactly my point ,there a hazard.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Pork chops, bacon and ham by now if it's at my place

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
My opinion is first to call and visit all the neighbors around. If none of them own it, shoot it. You never know if someone's teenager is driving home at dusk and hits him.

Make sausage and pork chops, and be happy that you possibly saved someone's life.

I find that a .357 mag carbine works very well on pigs, and doesn't leave too much blood shot if you shoot him in the head or in the ear.
We used a .22RF on the ranch .. but for the wild ones I would move up a caliber or two. 6.5mm or larger for body shots.. 6mm or less for brain shots .. would be my choices
Old 11-26-2020, 06:43 AM

I don’t think that pig has been out wild very long. Down here within 6 months of living wild you cannot recognize them from what they were. There bodies undergo crazy fast changes and they get awfully burly looking.
Could be this type of breed which I don’t recognize doesn’t transform that way but all other types I’ve seen and shot do.

Osky
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
We used a .22RF on the ranch .. but for the wild ones I would move up a caliber or two. 6.5mm or larger for body shots.. 6mm or less for brain shots .. would be my choices
My pigs over 100 pounds won't die reliably with a 22 mag. Stepped up to a 357 mag, and they die very very reliably.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:46 AM

Default So does a

255gr from a 38-55
Old 11-26-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My pigs over 100 pounds won't die reliably with a 22 mag. Stepped up to a 357 mag, and they die very very reliably.
We butchered 5-10 pigs every fall never had a problem with the .22, But the vet with a .303 on a yearling cow....well that was a totally different story... (We also butcher a yearling every fall but my dad was not a cow shooter so he called the vet. one year. My brothers and I shot more then a few yearlings for butchering with a .22RF never had a runner).. all comes down to shot placement.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
We butchered 5-10 pigs every fall never had a problem with the .22, But the vet with a .303 on a yearling cow....well that was a totally different story... (We also butcher a yearling every fall but my dad was not a cow shooter so he called the vet. one year. My brothers and I shot more then a few yearlings for butchering with a .22RF never had a runner).. all comes down to shot placement.
I know what you mean about shot placement. I've killed hundreds of pigs with a 22 mag with one a handful needing a second shot. Mine, just seem to have a much stronger will to live. 4 shots in the money spot, and the pig is still moving around. 357 mag, and no problems.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm kind of hoping it lives and breeds be cool that have some wild boars around the place.

fun to shoot and great to eat but they get out of control very quickly.. look at Texas and those places.

I thought there was a bunch of wild pigs running around somewhere east of Edmonton or a little more south???
Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 PM

I know nothing of the domestic breeds and comments relating to them. But from my experience of the years I lived and hunted pigs in Australia, this one does not look wild. Down under, they dont stand around with a forlorn look waiting for a photo op. I suggest that the commenters on the domestic breeds are on the right track.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:57 AM

When I read the title, I thought it would be a thread about the old Saddle Sore Saloon in Rocky.

I agree with most, "harvest" it.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:25 AM

I guess someone found is now in a pen .