Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 09:33 PM

Many years ago I had a pup. I walked over to the farmer and asked if I could bring him over and introduce him to cows in a controlled environment. Cows were awesome. Dog was awesome. Never had a lick of trouble. Farmer has a fence about 20 yards off the back of my house. Electric fence. Rarely on. Cows get in my yard, dog gets in his field, no issues.

Several years later farmer gets mad at me. Threatened to shoot my dog if he was on the property. Well, I know this dog doesn't go on the property often(I kept a good eye on him) but every now and again you are doing chores and he goes and marks fence posts or looks for mice or whatever in the field. Mentioned it would NOT be a good idea to shoot my dog when he had zero interest in harassing the cattle and the farmer knew that damned fine. Discussion got a bit more heated.

I casually mentioned the threat to a local dog loving land owner the farmer rented from. Guy stayed away from me after that. IF (note the caps) the dog harassed cows, I'll deal with him if the farmer doesn't. If the farmer shoots him without reason... well... it would not be a comfortable neighborhood. Especially since his cows frequently came on my property.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
my friend and I hunt upland with dogs,m often on crown land as well as private. Absolute, dyed in the wool dog people, both of us.
If one of the dogs get caught in a snare, it's on us not the trapper.
if one of our dogs gets loose and gets shot chasing cattle or deer, ( they are never allowed to run freely without their E collars on) It's on us, not the god or the shooter.
I have no sympathy or remorse for someone who looses their dog because it was shot harassing farm animals or wwildlife.
Cat
I dont get it you say if your dog gets loose and does some thing its on you, not the god or shooter or the trapper but why does the dog have to pay for your mistake, or some one elses.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Were the dogs running wild and harassing wildlife?
To the best of my knowledge yes (caught on a trail cam late at night)... So you tell me.
All I am saying is if I saw the act they would be dead...PLAIN and Simple.

For some reason the fact that a young native (FN) girl down in my country was killed by a pack of wild dogs.... may cloud my opinion slightly.....but hey I am sure they were all just family pets, that would never hurt a fly.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Banned

It’s not the people that have been brought up in rural areas, especially in cattle country, that cause issues when their dog gets injured or killed if it runs at large. They know and understand the consequences. It’s the folks that move to an acreage that think that it’s okay for their dog to wonder freely. They are the ones that cause a stink when something bad happens. Rural folks accept that if their dog runs at large eventually something bad is going to happen and when it does, they accept that it was inevitable. I’ve even had landowners tell me that they’d shoot their own dog if they thought that it was chasing game or a neighbor’s livestock.

Around here a lot of landowners will shoot a dog as quick as they would a coyote if they see it in their pasture. There’s a huge difference between someone’s pet FooFoo and a feral dog or one that is acting feral. Domestic dogs are much worse than coyotes in that regard even going as far as a pack being dangerous to humans. I could give many examples of things that dogs running at large do.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 PM

Old 11-24-2020, 05:32 AM

I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan back in the .... well a long time ago, we used to call them stray dogs back then, but any dog caught in our pasture or yard harassing any of our animals got a bullet and ended up in the manure pile, don't see that I would change anything now if I still lived in a rural area.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Originally Posted by*Simplefarmer*

In my personal experience, this is very rare...

Those who advocate for the destruction of domesticated pets are not welcome here...

Your words.

When you say here, I take it to mean 'here on the AO forum, general section.

Are you now back pedalling in an attempt to say 'here' means your land?
Why would I think that I have any say in the General Discussion on this Forum ?

You just want to argue, back under your bridge troll.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
To the best of my knowledge yes (caught on a trail cam late at night)... So you tell me.
All I am saying is if I saw the act they would be dead...PLAIN and Simple.

For some reason the fact that a young native (FN) girl down in my country was killed by a pack of wild dogs.... may cloud my opinion slightly.....but hey I am sure they were all just family pets, that would never hurt a fly.
I think we agree then. I know of a young girl killed by a pack of dogs on a northern reserve too. Went to school on a Saturday (by mistake - she lost track of days), school was locked, went to go home, but never made it.

I think most of us are in agreement.

When dogs pack up, they can become very aggressive and dangerous.

Situations off the top of my head, I would shoot a dog...

1) The OPs picture
2) If I were a farmer and it was harassing or killing any of my livestock. If it were a neighbor, I would extend the courtesy of a discussion for sure.
3) If a dog not under control was attacking mine unprovoked.
4) If a dog were attacking or had attacked a person
Old 11-24-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think we agree then. I know of a young girl killed by a pack of dogs on a northern reserve too. Went to school on a Saturday (by mistake - she lost track of days), school was locked, went to go home, but never made it.

I think most of us are in agreement.

When dogs pack up, they can become very aggressive and dangerous.

Situations off the top of my head, I would shoot a dog...

1) The OPs picture
2) If I were a farmer and it was harassing or killing any of my livestock. If it were a neighbor, I would extend the courtesy of a discussion for sure.
3) If a dog not under control was attacking mine unprovoked.
4) If a dog were attacking or had attacked a person
Sounds about right.
That dog that sits at your feet, watches tv with you at night, and eats treats out of your hand is a different dog if it gets to running with a couple buddies.
It’s like a switch is flicked in its brain.
The pack mentality kicks in.
Imagine a pack of wolves running around the country side. Now imagine if that pack had zero to little fear of man.
I’d much rather meet a pack of wolves on the hiking trail then a group of dogs together.
Fluffy is a different animal when hanging out with its neighbors.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I dont get it you say if your dog gets loose and does some thing its on you, not the god or shooter or the trapper but why does the dog have to pay for your mistake, or some one elses.
You don't get it??
if the dog is running deer or cattle , are you going to try and find the owner and then try to catch the dog ?
Cat
Old 11-24-2020, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It’s not the people that have been brought up in rural areas, especially in cattle country, that cause issues when their dog gets injured or killed if it runs at large. They know and understand the consequences. It’s the folks that move to an acreage that think that it’s okay for their dog to wonder freely. They are the ones that cause a stink when something bad happens. Rural folks accept that if their dog runs at large eventually something bad is going to happen and when it does, they accept that it was inevitable. I’ve even had landowners tell me that they’d shoot their own dog if they thought that it was chasing game or a neighbor’s livestock.

Around here a lot of landowners will shoot a dog as quick as they would a coyote if they see it in their pasture. There’s a huge difference between someone’s pet FooFoo and a feral dog or one that is acting feral. Domestic dogs are much worse than coyotes in that regard even going as far as a pack being dangerous to humans. I could give many examples of things that dogs running at large do.
Also throw in people who figure it is ok to leave the city with the dog(s) and then pull over in the country to let them run or go for a walk....unleashed....they may or may not chase but instinctively they more than like Likely will.....havimg a pet is a huge responsibility and commitment...unfortunately many fail miserably at this as with many things in life.
Responsible pet owners will do anything for thier pets....just look at the fella who jumped in the water to pry his dog from the jaws of a alligator....there are some good ones out there too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 AM
Banned

There's a guy that lives on rr24 just a mile north of hwy 616 he's had a few GSPs that I have caught running deer I. The spring chasing fawns and flushing up nesting water fowl. I've reported him to FW and they couldn't be bothered.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Also throw in people who figure it is ok to leave the city with the dog(s) and then pull over in the country to let them run or go for a walk....unleashed....they may or may not chase but instinctively they more than like Likely will.....havimg a pet is a huge responsibility and commitment...unfortunately many fail miserably at this as with many things in life.
Responsible pet owners will do anything for thier pets....just look at the fella who jumped in the water to pry his dog from the jaws of a alligator....there are some good ones out there too
Well that’s going a little far. The guy is with his dogs atleast. And out in the country.
Unless you mean untended.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sounds about right.
That dog that sits at your feet, watches tv with you at night, and eats treats out of your hand is a different dog if it gets to running with a couple buddies.
Imagine a pack of wolves running around the country side. Now imagine if that pack had zero to little fear of man.
I’d much rather meet a pack of wolves on the hiking trail then a group of dogs together.
Agree. Just like humans. (Sudden loss of the ability for independent thought.)

On another note, twenty years ago the horses got into our fenced off cabin area. Dogs jumped out of the car and chased the horses out. We scolded the dogs even though they likely saw that as their territory. End of story. We were probably more worried that one of the dogs would get kicked. Otherwise at most, the dogs would bark at the horses when they approached the cabin. No big deal.

Also a lot of dogs really are all bark no bite.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
Why would I think that I have any say in the General Discussion on this Forum ?

You just want to argue, back under your bridge troll.
You started this, made a bold statement and are now deflecting.

I asked a question quoting you.

Seemed a simple task.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-24-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You started this, made a bold statement and are now deflecting.

I asked a question quoting you.

Seemed a simple task.
Rule # 1 - Don't feed trolls
Old 11-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You don't get it??
if the dog is running deer or cattle , are you going to try and find the owner and then try to catch the dog ?
Cat
Have before its not hard to no where the dog comes from sometimes.
But thats not what you said you said if yours gets away its on you so
your dogs battery in collar goes dead your looking for dog and boom
some one shoots it, your all right with that.
To many trigger happy people out there, and to many that shouldnt own dogs.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Have before its not hard to no where the dog comes from sometimes.
But thats not what you said you said if yours gets away its on you so
your dogs battery in collar goes dead your looking for dog and boom
some one shoots it, your all right with that.
To many trigger happy people out there, and to many that shouldnt own dogs.
jeepers we can go through all sorts of scenarios and argue left right and center but obviously if the batteries dead in your dog's collar you are in an area where you likely have been seen .
Chances are if your dog is running deer he doesn't have an E collar on anyway. I guess we should jump on guys for not deer proofing their dogs before they go hunting as well , but let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to figure stuff out unless a person doesn't want to .
Cat
Old 11-24-2020, 10:43 AM

Some people are born to argue common sense, and love to pounce if you have not covered every angle they can come up with on a forum post.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Sounds about right.
This is really important and not well known fact you point out. Most city dog owners may not even be aware of it.

I have watched my dogs "gentle family pets" that wouldn't harm a flea, tear after and corner a coyote along a chain link fence and turn into savages that shocked me (and I won't get into details but it was bad)…. then just as soon as I call them off …. they turn back into "a gentle family pet" again.

These are animals react with instinct and once they are in "their pack" they can become thugs.

No different when we as young adults would wave good-bye to our mothers and grandmothers to go hang out with our friends and turn into total bandits and thugs
Old 11-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Wow , this is getting crazier than a political post . Letting a dog run loose and free to harass other peoples livestock is not the same as a dog that gets away from the owner that is walking the dog , hunting with the dog or a dog that runs out an open gate . Some people try to control their dogs , some dont . Its usually one of the other .
Keep your dogs under control , and there is no problem . As for the " what if", accidents happen , let all try and be adults about it .

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Well that’s going a little far. The guy is with his dogs atleast. And out in the country.
Unless you mean untended.
unleashed...free for all...catch a wiff of something and off they go...no control...chasing game, stock etc...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan back in the .... well a long time ago, we used to call them stray dogs back then, but any dog caught in our pasture or yard harassing any of our animals got a bullet and ended up in the manure pile, don't see that I would change anything now if I still lived in a rural area.
Agreed 100%, only at our place in SK they went on the "stone pile" Most who never grew up on the farm don't get it. Strays or dogs that like to roam may not come home. Plain and simple. If they kill you chickens, or chase your cows or horses or sheep or local deer etc, they might get the 12 gauge, (or even a ride home) as a bit of a teaching lesson the first time, but not the second. If our beloved family Black Lab was doing that, my Dad would have expected the same treatment, no questions asked.

Told this before, had a group of three kill a bunch of chickens once (yes cause they like to pack up!) Dad chased 2 home the one way while giving them some learning with the 12 gauge, the third went the other direction to it's home. Knew all 3 dogs. Dad shows up at Farmer X's place the next morning. Mentions that his dog was over last night with Neighbour Y, and Neighbour Z's dog. They killed about 20 chickens. Neighbour says we'll have none of that, walks in the house, comes back out with the gun and ends the dog right there. That's how things were done. No anger, no animosity, just a nice neighbourly conversation. It was an otherwise nice dog too, happy to play with you when you went over there......

People have become a bit too far removed from the practical simplicity of the rural ways......... dare I say soft. A Farmer may love his dog, but if said dog puts the neighbours Quarter Horse or Angus through someone's fence, he know's it's time to say goodbye.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Agree. Just like humans. (Sudden loss of the ability for independent thought.)

On another note, twenty years ago the horses got into our fenced off cabin area. Dogs jumped out of the car and chased the horses out. We scolded the dogs even though they likely saw that as their territory. End of story. We were probably more worried that one of the dogs would get kicked. Otherwise at most, the dogs would bark at the horses when they approached the cabin. No big deal.

Also a lot of dogs really are all bark no bite.

As both a horse and dog owner, that's a pretty irresponsible and clueless statement to make. Owners dogs should not be barking at theirs or their neighbours livestock.

Lost track of the reported times horses run through barb wire fences, begins with not recognized by owner enabled aggressive barking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the picture. What a shame unless that is part of a lawful hunt in some jurisdiction where it’s allowed.
I’m disgusted when dogs show up at my rural property uninvited. It’s unacceptable.
As far as these comments where Simple Farmer says people are unwelcome in this forum if their viewpoint is different than his/hers/Sie’s I’m disappointed in the intolerance demonstrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-24-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Thanks for the picture. What a shame unless that is part of a lawful hunt in some jurisdiction where it’s allowed.
I’m disgusted when dogs show up at my rural property uninvited. It’s unacceptable.
As far as these comments where Simple Farmer says people are unwelcome in this forum if their viewpoint is different than his/hers/Sie’s I’m disappointed in the intolerance demonstrated

Agreed. The dog in that scope would be considered a mangy coyote. Pink mist.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-24-2020, 12:48 PM

Do some of you really think that those of us that have lived on the land our whole life just blast away at the first sighting of a dog? It's not our first rodeo. If we see a dog with a signal collar on, or if we look out our window and one is sitting on our deck wagging it's tail and the owner is coming up the driveway,or even if it's playing with the billy goat we have a fair idea what's going on. I said in my first post and I made a point of it, if a dog is running my animals ( and yes I know the different) then I take care of it. Sorry but I like my livestock as much as you like your best friend.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I have hunted deer with hounds and have never seen or heard of an instance where the dog caught up to a deer. Generally , scent hounds like Plotts and Blueticks are used and they are following by scent not sight . A slower dog with a good tongue is far more desirable than a fast one that runs silent , that way the deer know where they are as opposed to knowing a dig is on their trail but not knowing just how far away from them they are.
Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:

You need to up your comprehension game. Simple Farmer already explained "here" doesn't mean the AO forum.

Looper
Old 11-24-2020, 02:39 PM

I work out of town during the week.
We got a deer last weekend hunting, my hound pup was obsessed with it.
He jumped the fence yesterday to chase deer ( first time) my wife has contacted 9 neighbours and has been out looking for him constantly.
I’ll deal with him running deer in Cat season.
Hope she finds him soon and no AO member shots him.
Bluedog