Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Default Overlanding around Alberta/BC

Well since all this COVID ridiculousness. The wife and I had our trip to Peru for this spring canceled. And with the lack of travel options I’ve been toying with the idea of turning my truck into an overlanding/hunting/ whatever rig. I would like to get out and camp more this winter and try to build a setup and fine tune it over the course of the next few months with the end goal being a big 3 week road trip next summer from Alberta to BC and maybe even the Yukon. That being said. I do like my truck with all its windows and tires so we’ll have to play it by ear in regards to our neighbours to the west.

I have a 2014 f-150 with a 8’ box. I already have a tool box and a back rack on. I have been looking at getting a rack that I could put a roof top tent on and maybe some recovery gear that doesn’t already fit in my tool box. All the stuff I can find online seems to be geared towards 1/4 ton trucks and trucks with shorter boxes. Does any one know of a place localish to Calgary where I could find something. I’m very open to just getting one fabbed up locally as well.

Also. Does anybody here have suggestions for a setup? What works for you? What doesn’t ? I’m by no means new to camping. But am predominately a back packer. So this could be the life of lavish luxury maybe ? Bringing things I would normally for go.

And to come full circle. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do or try i that general path. Looking for off the beaten path not touristy stuff. This trip would also be done with 2 active dogs and a bear - er, I mean beautiful bride. Any info,tips , tricks or knowledge would be awesome
Thanks boys (and ladies)
Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM
AO Sponsor

I personally don't like the rooftop tents as much for driving. Makes everything feel like crap driving from buffeting and super noisy from the wind. If I was doing a truck with an 8 foot box, I would build a bed in the back with storage underneath.

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Check out Expedition Portal. Around here you'll get pool noodle advice
Old 11-27-2020, 08:54 PM

Thanks. I do like the idea of the cap. Seems like stuff could be more secured for a day of hiking or whatever.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Check out Expedition Portal. Around here you'll get pool noodle advice
Thanks. That website will be keeping me reading for a while.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:30 PM

I run a Autohome Columbus Variant w/ a Alucab Shadow awning and am very happy with the setup. I run an SUV though.

If I were running a truck I would be interested in something from 4wheelcampers or check out gofastcampers for an RTT and cap setup.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:48 PM
Banned

Yup, every question you can possibly ask is answered somewhere on Expedition Portal.
My only issue with the site is that for some of the real cool stuff I'd need to quadruple my income
Old 11-27-2020, 10:01 PM

Pick up a portable hot water/ shower, I have the coleman one and it is fabulous to have for truck camping .
Old 11-28-2020, 02:27 AM

I put a 36" bed high up on the left side and have TONS of room for storage under it. Then I have a roof to floor shelf on the other half the length of the bed for my BBQ, breakfast stove, huge water jug, clothes and anything else I could ever want or need. I run some LED lights around the top with a dimmer and use my Laptop with a 17" screen to watch movies on.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it coast to coast.

I sleep better back there then I do in my own bed.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I personally don't like the rooftop tents as much for driving. Makes everything feel like crap driving from buffeting and super noisy from the wind. If I was doing a truck with an 8 foot box, I would build a bed in the back with storage underneath.

The problem with truck box covers is to make them 100% dust proof if you go on gravel roads. Dust covering your bedding and other stuff is everything but pleasant, a little gap will suck a lot of dust in from the back...
Old 11-28-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
The problem with truck box covers is to make them 100% dust proof if you go on gravel roads. Dust covering your bedding and other stuff is everything but pleasant, a little gap will suck a lot of dust in from the back...
I don’t camp in the back of my truck but did as a younger man. But on my current truck for winter I have a canopy on it. The key is to have a proper tailgate seal and a good quality seal between the box and bed rails. I added a foam strip where the canopy door meets the tailgate so that it takes a little pressure to close it. I also used some eternabond tape (gorilla tape will work) over every little hole in the box as well. Tape over the drain holes at the front of the box floor too. I can travel on lots of gravel and not get any dust at all in the back. I even had air conditioning in the back. I used to go to Arizona to see a friend and it gets a little hot in there! I made a false tailgate with a hole in it to match one of those cheap window A/C units that you would put in your house. I’d just flip up the false tailgate with the tailgate down and slide the unit half out and plug it in. You could freeze stuff in there LOL!
I did the platform for a single mattress at the box rail height over to one side so I could get off the side of the bed and not have to slide to the end. Great storage under the bed this way for big stuff like coolers etc. Back then I just tinfoiled the windows.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff336 View Post
Well since all this COVID ridiculousness. The wife and I had our trip to Peru for this spring canceled. And with the lack of travel options I’ve been toying with the idea of turning my truck into an overlanding/hunting/ whatever rig. I would like to get out and camp more this winter and try to build a setup and fine tune it over the course of the next few months with the end goal being a big 3 week road trip next summer from Alberta to BC and maybe even the Yukon. That being said. I do like my truck with all its windows and tires so we’ll have to play it by ear in regards to our neighbours to the west.

I have a 2014 f-150 with a 8’ box. I already have a tool box and a back rack on. I have been looking at getting a rack that I could put a roof top tent on and maybe some recovery gear that doesn’t already fit in my tool box. All the stuff I can find online seems to be geared towards 1/4 ton trucks and trucks with shorter boxes. Does any one know of a place localish to Calgary where I could find something. I’m very open to just getting one fabbed up locally as well.

Also. Does anybody here have suggestions for a setup? What works for you? What doesn’t ? I’m by no means new to camping. But am predominately a back packer. So this could be the life of lavish luxury maybe ? Bringing things I would normally for go.

And to come full circle. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do or try i that general path. Looking for off the beaten path not touristy stuff. This trip would also be done with 2 active dogs and a bear - er, I mean beautiful bride. Any info,tips , tricks or knowledge would be awesome
Thanks boys (and ladies)

Wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the guys at Treeline rooftop tents in Turner Valley, their tents are up there in quality and fit them to every type of rig you can imagine.

Jeff Strand's the guy that does all the rig mounting and could point you towards rack suppliers locally.

treelineoutdoors.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-28-2020, 09:46 AM

Make sure you do your Research on the RTT. There are lots of options and lots of downsides. If I was to get one, it would be the hardstyle, as you can leave Al the sleepyhead setup in them and just collapse it. Not the case with the RTT tepui style. Yes they're more money, but there also seems to be less issues with the hard style.

Oh, and I've heard that there is a 6 month wait for most RTT (hard and soft).. thanks covid. So moving on those sooner than later is advised.

One other thing to consider, what "toys" are you bringing. Just hiking stuff? Bikes? Kayaks?sups? Secure storage for all of those are important at the trailheads. Basically kayaks are the only thing I'd consider leaving out. I would consider a canopy just for the sake of enclosed storage for bikes/hiking gear/etc . But I wouldn't setup a bed platform Strickley from the dust/accessibility side.

I've also heard that ioverland is a great app for finding locations that allow backcountry camping. I haven't used it though.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=creeky;4276825]Wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the guys at Treeline rooftop tents in Turner Valley, their tents are up there in quality and fit them to every type of rig you can imagine.

Jeff Strand's the guy that does all the rig mounting and could point you towards rack suppliers locally.

treelineoutdoors.com

My sister and BIL have this exact setup. Very good quality as mentioned and it has a zip on room for a ground level enclosure as well. Camped with them several times this year and only down side is their truck is immobilized while set up and it takes the 2 of them a couple hours for full set up or tear down.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Truck camping

I just spent the last 9 nights sleeping under my truck canopy while hunting whitetails. I’m 5’10” and my truck box is 5’6” so I had to sleep at a bit of an angle. Not being able to stretch out in your bed is a major pain in the rear! I made a plywood bed that sits on two job boxes and put a 3” foam on top. Other than not being able to stretch out it was pretty comfortable!!! Even on the -20 nights, thanks to a buddy heater ( co detector and both side windows open 6”). Next year I’m looking at an enclosed trailer setup.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Banned

A trip up to Limestone mountain is pretty spectacular. 360 degree views of mountians to the west and plains to the east. Slept up there this fall in my rig.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:28 PM
Banned

Also, youtube "overlanding Alberta"

The Jeep peeps have alot of cool vids up there.

I mean, they aint Xterra's but they get the job done.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=Tannerdog;4276880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the guys at Treeline rooftop tents in Turner Valley, their tents are up there in quality and fit them to every type of rig you can imagine.

treelineoutdoors.com

My sister and BIL have this exact setup. Very good quality as mentioned and it has a zip on room for a ground level enclosure as well. Camped with them several times this year and only down side is their truck is immobilized while set up and it takes the 2 of them a couple hours for full set up or tear down.

I ended up purchasing a not near the same quality "Burmis" roof top tent because Treeline where regularly out of stock.

Advantages Burmis had was a lesser price and lower profile allowing me to install and remove it single handed in our tiny garage (real fussy deal).

Great idea park up in remote spots hit the sack/pillow right quick-some draw backs observations:

>Heavy, you know it's there just driving around.

>Hard on a fiberglass canopy, most have an air gap between outside (top) and inside (guys have them sheer off just driving).

>Dicey stumbling down when ladder ices/frosts up overnight.

>Real hard work packing it down in the dark especially in frost snow in a hurry.

>At some point having to dry it out (mould concerns).

>Pop up violent wind storms in mountains @ night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 11-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
Also, youtube "overlanding Alberta"

The Jeep peeps have alot of cool vids up there.

I mean, they aint Xterra's but they get the job done.
Bahahaha! I spent years on the Xterra Owners Club forum back in its hay-day. Pure entertainment the beat-downs some would dish out. I do miss the Phat-chick Fridays....
Old 11-29-2020, 11:24 PM

If you can’t afford a newer fuso 4x4 or similar to convert I’d check out an AWD Chevy 1500 cargo van. A friend just picked one up for under 10g. A small lift with AT tires and it would a pretty capable rig. Fully water proof and dust proof. More room than a canopy on a truck. A nice awning out the side for cooking under and you are set.
If you are stuck on a truck then look for an older mobile treatment center. Kinda like a camperette. That would work well also.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 AM

A van makes good sense. A chev or ford ''boogey'' van would be nice for road trips. Room for the dogs and the new hound. (haha) Can be decked out pretty nice and comfy. Easier to spend a rainy day in rather than under a truck canopy.

Whatever vehicle you set up and are going into the random countryside and parking unattended for a day or two make it so the steering wheel comes off. No one can steal a vehicle without a steering wheel.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 AM

I had a converted dodge ram van for a few years, I loved it for weekend warrior stuff. Had a 4runner before that that's been all over the kootenays. If I was doing it again, I'd do the ram van assuming you aren't planning to go full 4x4 offroading - the open design makes it easier to use all every inch of space. Plus you don't have to get out in the morning/night if its raining, just crawl into the front and drive away. Some thoughts from my experience:

* Definitely get a topper for your truck. One with a raised roof is even better, an extra foot of clearances goes a long way to effective storage and headroom.
* If you go for a van, look for swinging barn doors (as opposed to sliding side door). The sliding door is very hard to insulate/do anything with since it runs very tight to the body when you slide it open.
* Reflectix + thermal blackout tint = no heat getting in/out of those windows.
* Build two full length drawers for the box and put a bed on top of it. I built my own drawer slides with steel and skateboard bearings thinking it'd be cheaper...it wasn't. Just buy some 6' full extension heavy duty drawer slides. they'll be expensive but what can you do.
* Plan a specific place for everything you'll bring along and design the drawers around that - i.e. tools/recovery gear can go in the back since you rarely need them. Clothes, food/cooking, daily stuff at the front.
* If you do a lot of driving every day or two, you don't need solar - just wire in an auxiliary deep cycle battery or two. Plan out what your daily Ah needs are and build a system around that...lots of info on expedition portal about it. I just used the USB on my radio to charge my phone, the aux battery ran my fridge and laptop with no problem at all.
* If your trips are under say 4 days, just get a nice yeti cooler or similar. If you're going out for extended runs ARB makes a nice 12v fridge, last I checked it usually goes on sale at 4WheelParts in Calgary during their 12 days of christmas promo (so check now). I don't think it goes on sale outside of this time of year. But its been a few years since I followed that stuff.

No idea about insulation if you want to do winter trips. I heard spray foam is the best for van conversions. Some guys use heater buddies but burning propane inside a closed space always freaked me out, even if it markets itself as safe.