Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Default Gonna get a wildcat rifle built

Has anyone used or known of people that have turned a .300SAUM into a 6.5SAUM or .25SAUM. I would like to do this combo but want to hear some feed back. I will be using a savage accutrigger action and likely going with either a ron smith gaintwist or a hart. Just want so praises or horror stories before I go ahead and commit to it.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Catnthehat, has had numerous 6.5 shortys made.
Drop him a PM.

I'm a big RKS fan. Have 2 myself and know at least 6 other blokes with his barrels. Nary an issue is the constant.

Finding a smith with a reamer is more likely your biggest stumbling point, having a reamer speeds up any build, waiting and paying full tilt on a reamer is what lengthens and raise the cost of a build.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM

reloading dies may also be an issue.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

my advice is to stick to rks or ted gaillard for barrels time wise and for specialty twists,etc.american barrels may stretch the time frame out on your build and is very doubtful if quality will be better.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Default 6.5

They would both be awsome cartridges, but I think I would use the wsm case as a base rather than the rsaum case, mainly because of availability issues.I would also do as already suggested, source out Canadian products for the build.You can get custom dies built, but it will take awhile.The 25 and 6.5 Gibbs are also pretty hot #s but require a long action. Just my thoughts
Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM

I have also been considering a hot .25 caliber, but I would barrel mine with a 1-8 twist 26" pipe, and use wildcat bullets 142grain ULD bullet with a BC of 0.7. I would think velocities around 3000fps should be comfortable in a .25 WSM. It would carry plenty of energy for medium game to long range, and really minimize wind drift with the high BC.
Wildcat bullets was sold earlier this year to a group in Elko Nevada - not sure how easy/difficult it would be to get these bullets...
Mike
Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
Wildcat bullets was sold earlier this year to a group in Elko Nevada - not sure how easy/difficult it would be to get these bullets...
Mike
I have been waiting for more news about "Wildcat". I knew Rick sold to that 'merican outfit, but thought they would be online by now.
I must have got the last of his 30 cal bullets....couple were only part boxes.

As for a 6.5 'cat, I would like to see one built on the 300 or 338 RCM brass. I hear that the 9.3 on 300RCM is an equal to the x62 in a short action, short bbl! Way cool.

Later..........
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
Has anyone used or known of people that have turned a .300SAUM into a 6.5SAUM or .25SAUM. I would like to do this combo but want to hear some feed back. I will be using a savage accutrigger action and likely going with either a ron smith gaintwist or a hart. Just want so praises or horror stories before I go ahead and commit to it.

Denny, I have a buddy who might be worth talking to if your interested. PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with him. Hopefully it will help with your decision.

Regards,

Joe