Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Default The Demise of Russell Sports

Was in Wholesale in Calgary yesterday Dec 29th, one day after Russell’s closed for good. No sales I could see. It took 49 minutes for my number to come up and there were only 5 numbers ahead of me, and six staff serving 6 clients.

I had written out a list of the item numbers of 14 small things, funnels, swivels, Burris ring inserts etc, so they could easily look them up on the computer. None of items would have been worth more than about $10 each. Despite their low value, all of them, except the cleaning rod, value $39, are "BEHIND" the counter. The guy helping me was pleasant and trying hard to be helpful but after over an hour and 15 minutes of him looking for stuff, I left with only 3 of the things I came in looking for.

There has to be a better System than this. In Russells, I would have spent a total of 20 or thirty minutes and I would have been in and out, having been able to check for most of the small items my self. WS needs to seriously look at the floor space they have allocated and in the short term look at taking over more of it for reloading and shooting accessories, and in the longer term, potentially expand the store.

I heard a lot of guys at the gun counter complaining quite loudly at how long it was taking, and this was putting pressure on staff already running as hard as they could. You also heard "Gun counter line 103 please" about every three minutes. The poor guys working the counter were running their butts off. No way they had time to answer the phone and if they had, there would have been a riot. You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to have one or two at reception dedicated to just handle phone enquiries, there is no way the majority should need to go to the guys working the front line counters. You can bet the people phoning in and never getting through were plenty annoyed as well.

The young lady at the check out asked me if I had found everything I was looking for. I told her very pleasantly that no I had not; in fact found only 3 of 14 things I came in for and that it took me over 2 hours to not find it. She had no response so you know the information isn't being gathered or used for anything. They cannot continue to frustrate their clients in this way.

I am definitely going to send a copy of this post to UFA, as there doesn't seem to be an effective complaint line for Wholesale it self. I pasted in the link for UFA in case anyone else wants to send them comments. UFA so far seems to take the input seriously and I really want to see WS succeed. If they can fix a few things I believe they have a bright future.

Jim.Ramsden@ufa.com

Despite the frustrations, I will continue to support the Canadian alternatives, WS, Prohet River, P&D, Pro Line and Bud's Gunshop to name a few. I take people to Bass Pro to show them the incredible interior but I don't spend my money there.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was in Wholesale in Calgary yesterday Dec 29th, one day after Russell’s closed for good. No sales I could see. It took 49 minutes for my number to come up and there were only 5 numbers ahead of me, and six staff serving 6 clients.

I had written out a list of the item numbers of 14 small things, funnels, swivels, Burris ring inserts etc, so they could easily look them up on the computer. None of items would have been worth more than about $10 each. Despite their low value, all of them, except the cleaning rod, value $39, are "BEHIND" the counter. The guy helping me was pleasant and trying hard to be helpful but after over an hour and 15 minutes of him looking for stuff, I left with only 3 of the things I came in looking for.

There has to be a better System than this. In Russells, I would have spent a total of 20 or thirty minutes and I would have been in and out, having been able to check for most of the small items my self. WS needs to seriously look at the floor space they have allocated and in the short term look at taking over more of it for reloading and shooting accessories, and in the longer term, potentially expand the store.

I heard a lot of guys at the gun counter complaining quite loudly at how long it was taking, and this was putting pressure on staff already running as hard as they could. You also heard "Gun counter line 103 please" about every three minutes. The poor guys working the counter were running their butts off. No way they had time to answer the phone and if they had, there would have been a riot. You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to have one or two at reception dedicated to just handle phone enquiries, there is no way the majority should need to go to the guys working the front line counters. You can bet the people phoning in and never getting through were plenty annoyed as well.

The young lady at the check out asked me if I had found everything I was looking for. I told her very pleasantly that no I had not; in fact found only 3 of 14 things I came in for and that it took me over 2 hours to not find it. She had no response so you know the information isn't being gathered or used for anything. They cannot continue to frustrate their clients in this way.

I am definitely going to send a copy of this post to UFA, as there doesn't seem to be an effective complaint line for Wholesale it self. I pasted in the link for UFA in case anyone else wants to send them comments. UFA so far seems to take the input seriously and I really want to see WS succeed. If they can fix a few things I believe they have a bright future.

Jim.Ramsden@ufa.com

Despite the frustrations, I will continue to support the Canadian alternatives, WS, Prohet River, P&D, Pro Line and Bud's Gunshop to name a few. I take people to Bass Pro to show them the incredible interior but I don't spend my money there.
I spend my money on service and WSS HAS NEVER GIVEN ME ANY. Ill never forget driveing down there from red deer to pick up an item a sales clerk asured me was there and would still be there by the time I got there only to find out it was on order not to mention waiting an hour and a half to get some powder and primers what a joke Ill drive down to the states before ill ever shop there again................
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Default WS

Russells closing down is an absolute shame. I am an hour out of Calagary and that was the only shop I have shopped in for years. I have attempted to shop at WS but due to the lack of help in the store would not step foot in there again other than maybe to kill an hour while the family shops for clothes.

IMO Bashaw sports is an excellent alternative. Pud knows his guns and I have never been there when they didn't have what I was looking for. A little out of the way for guys in the South but well worth the drive.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM

I am far from a fan of WSS (I have "bashed" them in other posts) - I used to work there. BUT, they "intend" to make the camping counter (the kiosk near the camo), an ammunitions counter - which should help. The gun counter and proximal isles are run like a different store - nobody else has much idea what goes on, and are not allowed or trained to help in that department. The checkout staff and customer service are their for the transactions and very basic questions - and thats it. Most of the front staff bust their butts, but they are not required to know anything about products.

Many of the staff have their hands tied - and most of the truly knowledgeable ones left before and shortly after I did (this past year). The training is limited, and they don't necessarily hire the outdoorsy folks. Its a shame -

Dean2 - it sounds like you were their best customer of the day. Coming in prepared like that makes everyones lives easier and faster.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Agreed, it is frustrating the amount of things they keep "in the back".
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMan View Post
The training is limited, and they don't necessarily hire the outdoorsy folks. Its a shame
X2 A very true statement. What is a bigger shame is that Sr. Mgmt are FAR from outdoorsy folks. Worse yet they don't even think they need to understand the needs of outdoorsmen. I was the biggest supporter as well at one time. Too sad to see how it has gone. UFA is unfortunately not a saviour but, has and will continue to make things worse. Until the TRY to understand the industry and the needs and wants of outdoorsmen they will not make any positive changes. However I can't agree with you more that MOST of the employees are trying to do their best and be helpful. The problem stems from Sr. Mgmt.

Last edited by Castincowboy; 12-30-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling grammer error
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Default ufa

I just sent Jim an e-mail reguarding my disappointments at WSS, don't know if it will help or not but maybe if he gets enough negative opinions, he will get the hint.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM

servicing the shooting and hunting sports is all about service...period. I have fond memories of Barton's Sporting goods in Grande Prairie-not the cheapest, never bragged about it either - but he and staff would bend over backwards to help you out. I think most of the guys and gals at WSS do their best, have reasonable knowledge, but as Dean indicates, their whole system is at fault - and if the greeter is not amassing this data for service improvement, shame on them. I know we have run many threads on WSS service, the closing of Russells etc....but we need to continue to pressure UFA to get their act together...or someone opens a shooting/reloading outlet that can compete...I totally agree with Dean and will give my business to those company's that can provide the service.
WSS- strike nineteen.
ps - I will also end yet another email suggestion to the link provided.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM

I had a posted a similar complaint about WSS Calgary, that was subsequently closed. This is definately not an isolated incident, rather an alarming trend that I honestly do not think can or will be addressed quickly.

I have to admit, after cooling down, that Jordan (Mgr.) was good to deal with, was willing to lend a hand and give a deal, as I drove 12 hours to give them money.
After everything was said and done however, the $500.00 item wqas only $9.00 cheaper after the 15% off than BPS, but at least I can go to WSS Edmonton rather than all the way to cowtown if I need parts, warranty, etc.

The fellow at the counter was helpful as well, but it was real annoying, dissapointing, and miserable having to wait while the salesman dug through boxes of horribly oranized boxes trying to find such simple things as shell holders, pocket reams, and trimmers.

The worst thing I think is being pigeonholed with everyone else, that WSS feels is a criminal. BPS does not have every single component under lock and key, hidden behind steel grate.

In any case, I know now that the person I dealt with was merely doing the best he could while being confined to his restraints by SM.

Too bad, I liked the store last year.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
IMO Bashaw sports is an excellent alternative. Pud knows his guns and I have never been there when they didn't have what I was looking for. A little out of the way for guys in the South but well worth the drive.
Pud's is the only place I shop, he has an amazing amount of stock in his store, is incredibly knowledgeable, and he is a gunsmith to boot.

I was in WSS once a couple years ago. I thought I would buy some .22 shells while my wife was shopping nearby. I took one look at the Guns/Ammo counter with it's lineup and ticket dispensary and I promptly walked out the door. I have never been back since. Why they feel they need to keep everything under lock and key is beyond comprehension.

I am all about supporting Canadian companies, but I would rather support an individual over a faceless corporation. 99% of the time Pud is as cheap or cheaper too these larger stores. For me he is close, but it would still be worth the drive if it was further.

Last edited by Janitor Pants; 12-30-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Absolutely agree Bashaw Sports is a great place to shop. Friendly people, great selection and competitive prices. Biggest problem, it is a heck of a long ways to go, with little else in Bashaw to round out the trip. If I lived anywhere close to Bashaw, Pud's store would be one of my favourite hang outs.

Wholesale's issue is its phone ordering, on-line sales capacity and in store experience are all just mediocre at best. They have expanded very rapidly and have not kept an integrated channels strategy in place. When they used to have a couple of stores, the in store experience was great, and their catalogue ordering was also great. I lived in remote spots for many years, and a lot of those places had no supplies at all for shooters. I got care packages every couple of months from Wholesale for many years and the phone order staff were great. Even back ordered and special order stuff eventually showed up with me not having to do any follow up at all. Don't know if WS is capable of regaining that superior level of competency.

In my opinion, there is a great oppoortunity for an individually owned business to really grow and thrive if they take advantage of the opportunities to market from their much lower cost locations in rural Alberta or Saskatchewan. Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Brownell's, and Wholesale Sports when it started out, all started as one or two man operations that grew into very large businesses.

For many of the local mid sized Gun shops, some work upgrading their website to cover the full selection of their inventory, so we could browse on-line, good telephone ordering capacity and the ability to get orders shipped within a day or so at reasonable shipping prices would go a long ways to opening up a MUCH bigger market. A number of the great current gun shops may not be interested in this kind of business, preferring to stick to the face to face experience and that is fine. For the one that decides to go after a bigger chunk of the pie, it really is just sitting there waiting to be taken.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM

I'm a list kinda guy, everytime i go out shopping I make a list.
As far as WSS is concerned i have to agree with what others have said
it takes too long too find out 90 plus percent of whats on my list is "on order".
what a joke !!!!
WSS lost my business long ago!!
they would need to smarten up in a big way too ever get me too spend my money there again.
I usually pay a bit more and support the smaller shops or go to P&D as they usually have what you want you just gotta pay their price.
I'm not knockin them mind ya i have bought several rifles and several pistols from them, they have a well stocked very nice store.
It truly was a shame for Russells to shut down, I made several special trips to Cowtown just to go to their store.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Wss

BPS has terrible selection of reloading stuff and WSS does have too much stuff behind the counter. What really peaves me is the fact that ALL the ammo is behind the counter. I bought all my shotgun ammo from Russells because you could go through it on the floor yourself.

Imagine the amount of business lost at wholesale because of the inconvenience of everything being behind the counter! There is no way that the amount from such 'stolen' items is greater than the amount of business lost from not having it more accessible. How is it that they do not realize this??

What all the stores need is more reliable system for getting 'firearm' related items across the border. Every outdoor business, including BPS struggles with the arrival of orders from the states, due to all the crazy restrictions from US customs. At least then things would be in stock a lot more often. Also, management needs to do a much better job of compensating for items always being 'out of stock'. Yeah, it takes time to get this stuff across the border, but it is managements job to order things much further in advance.

Every year they are out of specific types of ammo, powder etc. Grab a clue and order enough to meet last years demand....!!

-They don't take customer demands seriously
-They don't manage their orders properly
-They obviously have no or poor customer feedback reviews

It is kinda funny though how everyone was RAVING about BPS putting WSS out of business when they opened, yet even with both of these stores, consumer demands for outdoor products still can't be met in this town even during the recession.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

I went to Russell's the other day for their "Big" sale. What a waste of time. I also went to BPS for a ground blind. Asked the kid in the department if the blind was still on sale, said he didnt know and he would go find a flyer. 10 min go by and still no kid, so I ask the department manager and he doesnt know and says he will go get a catalogue, 5-7 min later the kid and manager come back with 2 flyers. Another time I ask a girl where the Back country road maps are and she looks at me like I was speaking Hebrew. 3 people had no idea what I was talking about. Also, go to the gun counter and start asking about .308's and .375's get the info I wanted so I asked the guy about if Barret .50's are banned or not, No one there had any idea what I was talking about. All 3 sport stores in Calgary are just **** for CS
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM

but you are missing the point Tackleberry; there are no primers, bullets, brass or powder because of the War! The USA is grabbing everything before it hits the border! (please note the scynicisim intended here)

At least that is the story from the big 3 letter gun stores.

And, even worse than having none, as far as I am concerned, is hiking the price of already overpriced factory ammo by 50% 'because supply is short, and demand is high'.

I was going through the 2009 Catalog at the gun area with staff, and ammo was priced at ~$64.95 for 20. He then informed me that it was $95.00 per box because orders were not coming in.

The rich can maybe afford $5.00 per ROUND of .257 wby mag, not me. $3.00 is too high, but it was at least almost affordable to buy it for brass.

Get real.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Customer service sucks in 95% of ALL retail stores in Calgary, not just outdoor stores. I think we just have to live that. I just think that more self serve type options in the stores would help reduce the need for top - notch customer service.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Oh yeah, the War....forgot about that one.

Wish there was some way of having some of this stuff made in Canada. Why doesn't someone turn some of those useless, crappy auto factories out east into a ammo primer or gun powder factory?

Probably impossible, but there gotta be a better way..........
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Russel's was bought out by Wholesale Sports a few years ago. They most likely were shut down because the clientel base they served was too small to mare a significant profit. The biggest thing that killed them IMHO is internet shopping. Most of the high power, silhouette, service rifleand benchrest shooters, don't get their primers, powder or bullets from them. They go to higgenson (buy a hundred pounds of powder collectively then split it) or other similar online stores like Sinclair's for parts and other reloading components and order there for significant savings. There still is Proline Shooters and The Shooter's Edge (who are expensive). I'm sad to see that they closed down.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

I dont see any 100 lb barrels of powder, Just 7 lbs max. Is there a place to buy 100lb Barrels of powder?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM

WSS,....I love having them around, it's the palce I go too look at the stuff I want then go home and order it eleswhere. I cannot understand how they stay in buisness, their pricing is not competative. I have argued this point all the way to top of the company and was told, " ...then buy them in the states"...and I did! I am not a millionare, have spend thousands of $ on this sport we love...and cannot get a deal outta them on anything! I recently complained to WSS, Cabelas can. and US and RCBS about prices....nobody replied back as to why a electronic powder dispencer is 200-250$ more here in canada....or why their optics are through the roof.....or why a weatherby rifle is 600$ more here,....or books i ordered through amason last night were 35$ more than in the store!......they are criminal to say the least.

I will buy local when their pricing is the same as I can get eleswhere,...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:29 PM

I was at WSS and after looking all over the store for powder I asked one of the floor guys-

me -"You guys carry smokeless powder?

Floor Guy- "Yah, its in the back, what do you need?"

me-"R-22?"

FG "We don't have that"

me- "IMR 4350?"

FG- "Don't have that either"

Thats when I had enough and left!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Maybe everybody should just get out of the outdoor sports. Afterall, according to this forum, there isn't a store in Alberta worth a pinch of ****! Sheesh. Thread closed.
Closed Thread