Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Savage .308 - poor start

Hi all,
Took my new Savage 11 .308 out for its first shots today. Its the non-accutrigger package rifle. I have replaced the rings with Burris Zee's and mounted a Bushnell legend 2-7x that I had already. Bases are on with 15in/lbs of torque and blue locktite, rings to bases 45in/lbs and ring halves on with just under 20in/lbs. Rings were lapped.

I also lightened the trigger by replacing the spring and reducing the tension, but staying safe - probably could go lower; trigger is 4 lbs.

I used Win PP 150gr and mil-surp fmj's.

Shot 2, cleaned, repeated 3 times, then cleaned after every 3 shot group using Gunslick 'Copper Klenz'.

Results - terrible! Best 3 shot 100yard group was about 1.2", which I was happy with with. The rest were poor, between 3-6" and I burned 30 rnds. My Lee Enfield could better this with ease.

Now it could well be me, I am no sharpshooter, but typically do better than that (perhaps I have developed a flinch??)!

Scope?? The scope is less than a year old and has 120 rounds from a .303 under its belt, thats it. I have noticed that it can be slow to react to adjustments..?

Ammo? I bought this Savagae as I am on a budget but heard nothing but good reports on savage accuracy. I'll try some Federals next or a different weight. Perhaps the barrel needs further break-in?

Crown? I did the Q-tip test and there appears to be no burrs.

Any savage shooters or any of you with similar experiences or advice?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM

My thoughts run to your scope. I had a Legend on a couple of rifles, including my Savage and things didn't improve until I upgraded the scope. Adjustments I made just weren't reflected on the target. I was getting pretty frustrated. Sent it to Bushnell and they replaced it, so there must have been issues. As an aside, I've seen Bushnell Legends, marked with three different countries of origin.

Grizz
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM

I second Grizz on the potential on the scope as I too had a legend give me some mystery in my shooting career. Mine was on a .243 and I adjusted it blasted off so decent groups shot the other gun a little put it back on the stand good group still just 4.5" down to the left. Readjusted held for a couple groups and so on. Thought something may be loose pulled it all apart and checked everything back together good tight and such. Took it back to the range a couple weeks later and it was good then bad til i sent it in. Turned out the adjusters apparently have springs that hold tension to prevent them from leaving the little click groove thangs and the springs were worn or wrong from new. They replaced it and its been about 3years and 800rnds trouble free. The model I have is the 5-15x42 with the mildot reticle. If you have another scope for trouble shooting purposes it may really come in handy about now. Good luck and have a great new years
Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

Havent shot one but I have heard alot of good things about the new savages being fairly accurate.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM

Yeah, likely the scope.

What might not help either is cleaning every three rounds:

For each of your 3-shot groups, the first round was through a clean barrel - the other two through a fouled barrel. This will often cause flyers.

Frequently cleaning a new rifle might be a good idea, but now that you've got a good start -30rds- on breaking the barrel in, try keeping that barrel fouled throughout your shooting season (unless it gets wet).

OR try cleaning between sessions - but start each one with a fouling shot or two. Then settle down for the precision shooting.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Default scope

Hmmmmmm...

Thats what my scope is doing - you make the adjustments but they don't reflect on target right away!

Perhaps I should take it off and send it in.....
Old 12-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Default savage

20 IN/LBS doesn't sound like enough tourque for ring halves to me, I usualy do 40.But I am not saying your wrong.One problem I have had with 2 savages was the front screw on the front base was drilled a few thou. short, even though the screw was tightened to tourque, the base was not held secure enough.very frustrating till I figured it out ,tried different scopes ,ammo brands, and all else I could think of, even bedded it 2 different styles. Just my opinion , hope it might help.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Hmmm

Phew. That's a relief isn't it!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Another thing on the savage rifle is check them darn allen screws that hold the whole unit together my buddies gun literally fell apart and after finding the screws around the bench there was never any thread goo on any of em and they fell out at about round 25 from new. Tightened em up and shallabing she be good! One of the best money for shot accuracy you can buy. Cheap and shoots great.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Hi Spurly,

20in/lbs feels pretty tight to me. All the references I could find for scope mount torque recommends 15-20 in/lbs for rings...

I have friction paper in the rings too.

Well, that 'lag' in the scope adjustments has me thinking...perhaps it worth sending it in.....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Default 308

Try another scope first if you have one, or try borrowing a boresighter, and adjusting your scope, you will be able to see the hairs move, but you will not be able to tell if it is being affected by the recoil.Also check your guard screws like a previous poster suggested.I personaly like 40in/lbs, but if 20 has worked for you in the past, then it should work again.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 PM

make sure all bolts and screws are good and snug and shoot a few groups without cleaning it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM

savage barrells are known to be hard to break in!! I would put some rounds thru it and let it warm up then let it cool before cleaning it! That gun should shoot 1"groups no problem!!!