Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 PM

Default quick question

Hello
I have a stupid question. I'm new to this hunting thing and I'm trying to figure out Calibers and why they are named the way they are. Could someone please explain what the difference is between a 17, 204, 22 - 250, 223, 25.06 etc (i've always just heard of a 22) and what would be best for gophers to coyotes... thanks

Any rifle suggestions and info would be great aswell.... i have trouble getting answers from gun retalors..... I dont mind spending the money for something good..... Thanks again
Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 PM

Hookay then, here goes ( as good as I can get it anyway!)
In the old days of black powder, the first number was usually the caliber IE. 40/65 , and the second would be the charge of black powder , in this case, 65 grains.
When you had three numbers, , such as 45/110/2 7/8, the last number would be the case LENGTH.
NOW, with the advent of new cartridges, things went wonky.
The 30/3- for example , was a 30 grain charge pf SMOKELESS powder.
BUT, your 22/250 has nothing to do with the powder, but that fact that it is a 22 caliber bullet with a 250 savage case that is necked down.

The 25/06 is a cartridge with a 25 caliber bullet necked down from the 30'06 case.

the 17HMR stands for 17 caliber Hornady rimfire, NOT to be confused with other rimmed 17's, or the 17 Remington, which is a center fire cartridge!

the .223 Remington is a case that was actually designed for military use - the 5.56 Nato, and Remington and hung their moniker on it. it uses a .22 caliber bullet, but is center fire primed.

Same as the 7.62 Nato, a 30 caliber cartridge that Winchester grabbed and called the 308 Winchester.
There are dozens more , and most of them can be confusing at times.
the 270WSM and the 270 Winchester take the sane caliber bullet , but one is a short beltless magnum, and the other is a standard sized case from tue 30'06.

Then you have your rimmed, rimless, rebated rims, and belted magnums....
My suggestion would be to buy a book called cartridges of the World.
it is not only a very interesting read, you can use it for referencing all sorts of good info!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by righand14 View Post
Hello
I have a stupid question. I'm new to this hunting thing and I'm trying to figure out Calibers and why they are named the way they are. Could someone please explain what the difference is between a 17, 204, 22 - 250, 223, 25.06 etc (i've always just heard of a 22) and what would be best for gophers to coyotes... thanks

Any rifle suggestions and info would be great aswell.... i have trouble getting answers from gun retalors..... I dont mind spending the money for something good..... Thanks again
Calibre is simple, it's nothing more than the bore diametre (.204 is .204 of an inch) but when you get into cartridge designation, it's confusing at best but some where in there will be the bore diameter (calibre).....usually. Additional numbers could refer to a parent cartridge or the year it was developed or even the amount of powder behind the bullet....there is no real formula and there may be some letters thrown in to designate an acronym or the name of the cartridge developer. And to further confuse you, with some new cartridges, the primary number doesn't even represent the bore diametre. Take the .325WSM for example...it's actually an 8mm. Basically, the cartridge designation usually contains the bore diametre and some additional info but not always. There, now that was simple wasn't it.....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

I need a new hobby
Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I need a new hobby
http://www.learn-how-to-crochet.com/

GW

Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Hi, a little new too hunting too but I got alot of friends that hunt and asked alot of questions.

What was told to you above is good info and it will help alot. The book Cartridges of the World is awesome for understanding a few things but Wikipidia is too, theres a list of them if u just punch in on type of cal. on the left there be a list of others.

To answer you question simpler is this.

1st thing is your new and haven't been shooting so a light cal gun that you can shoot all day at the range is going to be fun. Rimfire ammo ( the primer is in the rim around the edge of the case ) is super cheap. 22 ammo is like 5 cents a shot. 22's are every where and can be gotten 2nd hand cheap and you can find a inexpensive scope too. Myself though i got a .17 HMR thats a rimfire too but alittle smaller dia. with a hell of alot more punch. Its super acc. and is fun to shoot, with 0.25 to 0.30 cents per shot. ( I love my HMR and peeps that wanted to get a .22 to learn + target shoot with changed they're minds when i let them try my SS Savage ) 22mag. is awesome as well, rimfire again the 22mag and 17hmr use the same case which is bigger and pushes the bullet faster. All are good for coyotes, with the 22mag in the lead, although some say the 17 hmr is ok for it I have never shot one with it.

2nd Centerfire, 204, 223, 22-250 are awesome they are more expensive but give more punch mostly you'll find them at a buck a shot eccept of the .223 I think, you can get them for 12$ a box all are great. I think the least performace of the 3 is the 223 but as your new to this It might be the best way to go. But my gun smith has 2 .204's he loves to shoot them and I'd love to get a 22-250 they're suppose to be awesome.

So you new and need to learn. You need to think ok one gun? shoot all day and practise + kill some coyotes. Go Rimfire it'll be easy on your wallet and in the mean time you'll learn more and then be able to think about what you'd like. Also later when you get a center fire you'll still have a rim fire to work on your aim and not hurt your pocket book.

As for my final 2 cents if i get a .22 its going to be 2nd hand and a semi auto for fun. If I was buying new and I did 6 months ago I'd get a 22mag or a .17HMR cause more acc. My buying decision was satisified with the gopher I shot, showed the power as it got knocked ass over tea kettle from my HMR.

Look on youtube.com and see 22 vs 17hmr as well as any other cal. its really cool! A 17HMR moves 2500fps where as a .22 moves at 1000fps you'll see the diff there.

Last edited by Drunkenfarmer; 12-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.