Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Norinco M14

What are everyone's thoughts on this gun? looked around and I hear good things. Can you find wood stocks for them. I know wheres theres one for sale and was super interested untill I saw how cheap the stock was made.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkenfarmer View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on this gun? looked around and I hear good things. Can you find wood stocks for them. I know wheres theres one for sale and was super interested untill I saw how cheap the stock was made.
I think if you contact Alberta tactical rifle, they may be able to help you.
personally I know absolutely NOTHING about these rifles, not my area of expertise!
Cat
Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM

I don't know about wooden stocks for the Norinco's, but there's an aftermarket composite stock for them that really appeals to me, the hitch is that its not a cheap item. I quite like the look of their Remington 700 stock as well, but have experience with neither.

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/

Their are some other stocks such as Sage available for them. On the linked page, I think I've seen the top one in a combat photo from somewhere in the middle east, though I don't recall if it was actual US forces or a private "security contractor" that was sporting it.

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM

The Poly-Tech models come with a synthetic stock are an excellent value for the money spent. I bedded my old wooden stocked M305 and with my small supply of Hirtenburg ammo it will shoot 1" all day. The unbedded Poly Tech comes in at just under 2MOA with Israeli 147gr ball. Highly recommended!
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM

Default About norincos.....

One thing you have to know about the norincos is that they are a milsurp style gun. Dont go looking at them to expect the fit and finish of a hunting grade rifle. Ive got an SKS and an "m14" style norince, (m305). I like both of them and would have a hard time parting with any of them. Also have a 1911 .45acp and a browning hi power 9mm clone in norinco that i love to shoot.
If you want a milsurp high power rifle for economy style dollars, they are hard to beat, with the understanding its a milsurp based design and production.
The only wood stock that i think is available is the ones that norinco made of chu wood that people take off and the ones available from the U.S. that are sold to the buyers of the garands and original M14s put into service.
Chu wood isnt that great of a wood to work with, its very porus and weird grains in most of the stocks ive seen. They soak them in oil so its really hard to get the oil out of them, but it can be done.
I can group good enough with any of my norincos at 100yds, most of the time a 1 to 2 to 3 inch group but it depends on the ammo you use, be it ball or hunting ammo. I would never hesitate to go hunting with my norinco m14, it is in .308 and has got more than enough power to kill anything i ever would want to.
Good luck finding a wooden stock, maybe on CGNz, in the equipment exchange. Just dont fall into the trap of putting more dollars worth of accessories in it, than the gun is actually worth. you can "style up" a norinco all you want, but its rairly worth any more than what you actually pay for it in the end.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...splay.php?f=70

This site has a whole lot of info on this rifle. Everything you ever wanted to know and more.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM

I bought a replacement WALNUT stk and Walnut handguard from Boyds. Almost drop- in and far better than the ones on the Norinco's. Both pcs were under a hundred bucks....and nice walnut to boot. Very little fitting was required (I had it in in less than an hr). Because of current laws, you may have to go through a gunshop to get one now, but well worth it. As far as functioning...I have had no problems with mine and with a little tweeking they are great. Scotty at P&D knows these things inside out and backwards and can make them sing.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM

Bought my Poly-tech m305 from Canadian Tire on Mcleod trail. for a bit less than those mail-order companies. Synthetic stock and shoots very well. Will probably scope it and hunt with it. The CT store says it moves a lot of them so if interested call for availability if you're outa town.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM

The chu wood stock can be worked with but it takes lots of time. Here is mine all dressed up in original chu wood. The green stock took about 20 hours of work and the red stock was over 30 hours to get done..both stocks are done in candy apple colours, ( i am a automotive painter by one of my trades).....

Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Those are beautiful Icehunter.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Well I bought that Norinco M305 as well as the Ruger 338 federal I was looking at. But my question to add here is, I know this is a Mil. Surplus rifle but it's stamped on the receiver .308. Is this the true cal? or should I find and shoot some 7.62x51 and where do I buy this ammo. Will shooting the .308 cause problems if it truly is 7.62? or vice versa because of the diff size of brass / head on the 7.62.

Just like to know if these newer Norinco's where issued in 308 or are they just generalizing
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Posted in the 'Best Christmas Deals' thread with pic's of the Norinco
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM

I shoot regular .308 outa mine, I wouldn't hesitate to use surplus NATO 7.62 either.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Default Norc's

They are the same caliber 7.62 is the Nato designation and .308 is the commercial name. The only other thing is if you happen to reload is if you use surplus ammo the case walls are thicker so you have to load them lighter. Do have a look at CGN there is a ton of info on them there.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Here's some learnin' fer ya, enjoy.

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Those are beautiful Icehunter.
Thx there Roughneck. The best part was spending the time putting them together and getting a few grays hairs to show for it. Not meaning to hijack this thread but if someone bought a m14s or m305 if you will and didnt like the stock I would look for a USGI walnut stock and put it all together.

I just did these 2 projects cause I can and have the knowledge and equipment to do it. I also have a original chu wood stock all done up with 30 or so coats of tru oil in it and its a beauty also...so 1 rifle and 3 stocks to choose from...

The only thing I regret is not keeping my original trw m14 from years back. It was selective fire and completely intact and functioning...chalk that up to one of the stupid moves I made in my life...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM

That red one is a work of art. If you ever want to get rid of it, think of me.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
That red one is a work of art. If you ever want to get rid of it, think of me.
I sent ya a offer....come up and shoot it.... Its just a small bore but lots of fun...