Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Savage 111 fxcp3 (review)

well i just picked up 1 of these 500 $ guns because i was curious if they shoot as well as el expenso . I bought it in a 7mm rem mag. and my first 2 bore sighted shots were 12" high and 6" left at about 1 3/4" apart after making the adjustments. I was able to make a 3 shot group in a 1" square I then proceeded to a 5 shot group wich stuck in a tight 1 1/2" group. all shots fired at aprox 150yds. as far as I can tell I love it gonna take it out tommorrow and whack some dogs. Anybody thinking of purchasing 1 of these ought to quit tire kicking and grab 1.

cheers every one and a merry christmas.

Linton
Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Bought one in 243 a while back and took the scope and rings off and swapped it for something with a little better quality. Tested my first loads and ended up shooting a .633" 3 shot group at 100 yards off of a frozen solid sand bag. I can't complain at all about any of the savages I've owned.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM

I bought one in a 243. Groups just over 1inch at 100 yards. can't complain with that. The scope and rings are crap but will do on a 243. With any of the more powerfull cartridges I would be a little more concerned.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

My hunting partner has one of these in 270, its the old style when they still had that ugly mag releise button in the side of the stock and no accutrigger but it shoots well and has not failed him yet.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Another happy Savage shooter.....that's great Linton. Merry Christmas to you too and to all.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 PM

I've owned two of the older style in 7mm mag , They shot awesome.
Both of them were sold to fellas I took out hunting for the first time as they wanted something less expensive too start out with and they knew it shot well. They are both very satisfied with them, my current hunting partner bought the newer style on my recemondation again in 7 mm mag and he loves it!!!
they are exceptional rifles and inexpensive too boot!!!
I agree on the upgrading of scope and rings but other than that they are a very good rifle.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah, I got one in a 270win GF bought it for me. Never hunted b4 and didn't want to get something too $$$. Needless to say its a great gun bought another since and its made me love savage.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

well i took it out on a buffalo hunt, on sunday and found out you need to be careful with placing the clip in the rifle, I actually lost it for an hour ....lol first time. i had to go and get the metal detector and retrace my footsteps for an hour b4 i found it, so make sure you guys place it in back to front or you will be in the same boat as I was and perhaps not so fortunate to have a metal detector. oh well i guess i could have always ordered another ...lol

take care

Linton
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM

Thumbs up Yup

U Can't go wrong for the money i agree the scope and rings are kinda crap but the guns are ok i have owned the 243 and sighted in the Cousin's 270 and 7mm they all shoot 1" goups at 100yds i would not think twice about buying another one
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM

I own this gun in 30-06 and love it. It's my first rifle and found it to be very accurate out of the box. I know a lot of people don't like the scope, but I made a nice shot on a Mule deer this year with it. Can't go wrong with this gun.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
sheephunter

I've heard they are junk and that no real hunter would use one....

I've shot the various Savage models a fair bit but have yet to add one to the arsenal. I think I need to change that this year with a .204.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-28-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've heard they are junk and that no real hunter would use one....

I've shot the various Savage models a fair bit but have yet to add one to the arsenal. I think I need to change that this year with a .204.
You must have been talking to one of them weatherby lovers. The only thing i don't like about them is the bolt. The ones ive shot seem to group good.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
You must have been talking to one of them weatherby lovers. The only thing i don't like about them is the bolt. The ones ive shot seem to group good.
Nope, he was talking to Whitetail Junkie.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM

i love mine in 7mm and its the most accurate gun ive shot. 4 inch groups at 400 meters are easy and i just bought my gf the same one for her first hunting gun and she is deadly with it. Wish they had a semi auto version in .223