Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Default Daylight savings on ballot

I’ve been seeing it flying around on the Facebook that a few people aren’t wanting it to go to daylight savings. Given the options we have I’m not sure why anyone is voting to keep the time change, if anyone has had kids they know how awesome the first week after both time changes is, on top of that many are tired for a week or 2 and there are a lot of incidents that first week (car accidents etc…) On top of that I honestly am trying to figure out why some people like standard time so much as well. Do people really like the sun coming up at 330 am in the summer and it getting darker in the evening? As well are they that committed to driving both to and from work in the dark in the winter? I personally would like to have some daylight in the evening so that kids can play outside and get some fresh air and sunlight once they’re done school. Maybe it’s just me but there really is no question why we wouldn’t want daylight savings permanent.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:20 AM

One of the arguments I read that was against going to a year-round time brought up human’s circadian rhythms, which seemed to me quite ridiculous. If we simply go by nature, we would be on a year-round ‘time’. Personally, I’d prefer to go to work in the dark and have a bit more sunlight at days end over the winter.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:22 AM

A hundred years ago people worked dawn til dusk because they didn’t have lights in more modern times sunlight doesn’t play a big role in daily life an hour ether way really won’t make a difference.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:33 AM

The changing time in the first of November just screws up deer hunting season.

Last edited by Sashi; 10-07-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2021, 09:36 AM

Most compelling argument I have heard is from people whose kids walk to school or wait for bus in morning.

Ill be voting for permanent daylight time. Will mess with timing on NFL night games though. Which may be better, can get my kids in bed before the game starts instead of during
Old 10-07-2021, 09:41 AM

Having the ability to sneak out for an after work hunt is a big benefit as well. I couldn’t care less about the sun coming up later in the morning, I only want more light in the evening
Old 10-07-2021, 09:47 AM

If voted in won’t be till next year before the change. Seams silly.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 AM

This article explains why permanent daylight time isn’t the best option. We should switch to standard time like is SK

https://apple.news/AijPeUId_RS-MaZNYwgg0lA

“Antle says if people vote yes to this question and Alberta moves to permanent daylight time in 2023, in December sunrise in Calgary will happen after 9:30 a.m. In Edmonton it will be closer to 10 a.m. and in Grand Prairie, which is very far west, sunrise will happen at around 10:30 a.m. “That means kids will be having their first recess in the dark.”
Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Agreed. I can finish at 2-3 a lot of days in november, before there wasn't much point. Would have taken a morning off in the past, full day if I filled my tag before 10. Only having to take a couple hours off on a slow afternoon would give me a lot more flexibility and time out in the field.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:49 AM

I'll vote for whichever gives me the most hunting time, so which is it? Yes vote or no vote? lol
Old 10-07-2021, 10:01 AM

Default My $0.02 worth

I don't mind changing the clocks twice a year to make the most of our daylight. The further north you live, the more it matters.
If it is so easy to throw our circadian rhythm out of sync, and it is detrimental to our health, maybe we should prevent people from travelling outside of their time zones when holidaying.
If it saves one life...

An opinion from an expert on the subject:

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...e-ed15a0341535

Excerpt:
Quote:
Licia Corbella
Publishing date: Oct 07, 2021
The referendum question will be: “Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round daylight time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?”

Had I not consulted with an expert back in July on this I would have voted yes to this question. However, after speaking with Michael Antle, a psychology professor at the University of Calgary and one of the world’s foremost experts on circadian rhythms, I have changed my mind and intend to vote no.

Antle says as much as we all hate losing an hour of sleep every spring, doing that is far better for our health than moving to permanent daylight time. The best option would be to stick to natural time or standard time permanently, but that’s not an option the provincial government has given us.

“We’re being given a choice between a bad option and a worse option,” said Antle, a member of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute at the University of Calgary’s Cumming School of Medicine and an adjunct professor with the department of physiology and pharmacology.

“The best option, of course, would have been to move Alberta to standard time. But in this case, the (least) bad option is the status quo. And it’s funny to be saying that because I’ve been arguing to get rid of the clock changes for years. And now I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to advocate for them because it’s the lesser of two evils in this case,” said Antle, who is also vice-president of the Canadian Society for Chronobiology.

If Albertans vote yes to permanently change to daylight time, that decision will lead to more accidents, less productivity, more cancer, heart attacks, obesity and diabetes as a result of delaying sunrise in the winter.

Antle says many people think this vote is an arbitrary decision based on whether they prefer more light in the morning or the evening, but this is not the kind of thing that should be left up to a popularity contest decided on a whim at the ballot box.

According to a study by University of Pittsburgh economics professor Osea Giuntella, entitled: “Circadian Rhythms, Sleep, and Cognitive Skills — Evidence from an Unsleeping Giant,” later sunsets lead to people being 21 per cent more likely to be obese, a 19 per cent increase in heart attack and increased rates of diabetes.

What that means economically, according to that study, is later sunset will lead to an $82 per person per year increase in health-care costs (or about $375 million for Alberta) and a $23 per person per year decrease in overall workplace productivity due to decreased efficiency and missed days due to illness (about a $100-million loss to Alberta’s economy).

Another study by Fangyi Gu, a U.S. professor of oncology, states that every 20-minute delay in sunset leads to increases in cancer: nine per cent more stomach cancer, 11 per cent more liver cancer, four per cent more prostate cancer, 13 per cent more leukemia, 3.7 per cent more breast cancer, 16 per cent more esophageal cancer and 10 per cent more uterine cancer.

Antle says if people vote yes to this question and Alberta moves to permanent daylight time in 2023, in December sunrise in Calgary will happen after 9:30 a.m. In Edmonton it will be closer to 10 a.m. and in Grand Prairie, which is very far west, sunrise will happen at around 10:30 a.m. “That means kids will be having their first recess in the dark.”

Regardless of what we try to do by going to bed earlier etc., our circadian rhythm — our body clock — tries to follow the sun. We can’t change that, says Antle, no matter what we do to the clocks.

“What this ballot is asking us is, do we as a society want to wake up and go to work and go to school an hour earlier in the winter than we do now. Those 8 a.m. meetings are going to feel like 7 a.m. meetings.”

So, vote yes for the equalization question and no for moving to permanent Daylight Time. Those answers are what’s best for Alberta, and for you and your family.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM

The rate of automobile and work place injuries spike every time we move the clocks around.

I vote to set it and forget it, I don’t care which time zone we choose.

https://www.ccohs.ca/newsletters/hsr.../02/ezine.html

https://www.ehstoday.com/safety/arti...place-injuries

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2021, 10:46 AM

U of C prof studies light cycles

https://globalnews.ca/video/8246196/...impact-alberta
Old 10-07-2021, 10:49 AM

I care-less. I Wake up when birds are chirping. Time to get up. Cuckoo!
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Arizona and Saskatchewan haven’t changed for decades there is no noticeable rise in accidents or illness, only problem I can see if BC won’t change there would be a two hour time difference
Old 10-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Default DST, yes or no?

There’s plenty of research available that clearly explains the benefits, in particular the health benefits of changing the clocks far outweighs the perceived inconvenience. The majority of people’s reasons are petty or selfish. “I have to change 4 clocks back, I need an extra hour to hunt, etc.

Vote “NO”.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:59 AM
AO Sponsor

I am against the grain here I guess. I like more light in the morning in winter and earlier night I don't care about. I have never noticed an issue with all the chatter about how dramatic the effects are in regards to tiredness and kids etc.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-07-2021, 11:01 AM

I voted yes. I can't stand getting off work in the middle of winter and having the sun set within an hour of getting home. Also, would make hunting after work in November a lot nicer with the extra hour!
Old 10-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Wow would’ve thought everyone would be voting yes. Seems simple more light when you get off work.Kids can deal with it.they’ll have the rest of their adult life to enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am against the grain here I guess. I like more light in the morning in winter and earlier night I don't care about. I have never noticed an issue with all the chatter about how dramatic the effects are in regards to tiredness and kids etc.
^^^^This......
Old 10-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I voted yes. I can't stand getting off work in the middle of winter and having the sun set within an hour of getting home. Also, would make hunting after work in November a lot nicer with the extra hour!
Yah....and it would be great for it still to be dark at 0900 in january
Old 10-07-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Wow would’ve thought everyone would be voting yes. Seems simple more light when you get off work.Kids can deal with it.they’ll have the rest of their adult life to enjoy it.
Unless it messes them up enough that they don’t enjoy the adult life as much as they would have otherwise.

I, honestly, didn’t think about it from that angle. Something to ponder and read about. Until today, I was 100% sure my vote would be a yes. Don’t particularly care if it is dark in the morning myself and know that most people don’t either. Nice to have a bit more light in the evening. In the winter, around here though, it doesn’t really matter, lol - dark in the morning; dark in the evening.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
The changing time in the first of November just screws up deer hunting season.
It messes with me every year, not going to lie that’s one reason why I want it on permanent dst. Another reason is fishing first light is a lot easier for ice fishing, it doesn’t matter to me when I leave but I don’t have that many friends who want to wake up at like 4-5 to get out there and setup in time. The light in the evening is also great for the kids, they can play outside and enjoy life. Wife and kids are also not morning people, later mornings means I might be able to get them involved with hunting and fishing easier.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I'm going to work in the dark regardless of daylight savings or not. At least on summer hours I have a hope of seeing some daylight for the drive home and getting some chores done without a headlamp on. Give me the extra hour of daylight in winter evenings.
Already voted yes
Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Arizona and Saskatchewan haven’t changed for decades there is no noticeable rise in accidents or illness, only problem I can see if BC won’t change there would be a two hour time difference
Huh????.....
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I’d love to see the changes go away but I’m not sure this is the right way to do it, it should be Canada wide. My job has national exposure and I spend enough of my day explaining to project managers in Toronto that I’m not going to join 6 am conference calls now. Making that more complicated will be no fun.

It’s also going to complicate my life in that time zone definitions on all the gear I work with will need to be updated, this could lead to some interesting issues with SCADA systems and such. Its not a huge thing, it’s been done before but it’s a surprising amount of hassle.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
There’s plenty of research available that clearly explains the benefits, in particular the health benefits of changing the clocks far outweighs the perceived inconvenience. The majority of people’s reasons are petty or selfish. “I have to change 4 clocks back, I need an extra hour to hunt, etc.

Vote “NO”.
How about the plenty of research that shows how much accidents go up a lot in the week or 2 after the time change? There’s a lot more research showing that the time change is bad over a few people saying it’s going to be bad for health. That messes with the circadian rhythm so the argument is somewhat dulled.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I’d love to see the changes go away but I’m not sure this is the right way to do it, it should be Canada wide. My job has national exposure and I spend enough of my day explaining to project managers in Toronto that I’m not going to join 6 am conference calls now. Making that more complicated will be no fun.

It’s also going to complicate my life in that time zone definitions on all the gear I work with will need to be updated, this could lead to some interesting issues with SCADA systems and such. Its not a huge thing, it’s been done before but it’s a surprising amount of hassle.
I agree....leave it on standard time year round...forget DST
Old 10-07-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Huh????.....
BC is one hour us behind if Alberta stays the same time and BC falls back another hour at time change there would be a two hour difference for 6 months of the year.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:08 PM

My rhythm is already messed up enough from shift work and long hours I say get rid of time change

Never seen any point to it myself