Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Default Red Deer Fish and Game....WOW 30% increase this year!!!

Great facilities and property, wish the gun range was closer to the property and getting a key was much simpler but wow up $60 over last year to $260/yr. guess time to look at Ponoka as it is only $125 for the family range pass. Would be worth the extra dollars if they had a couple walk through archery courses. Not sure why it is $90 more than Sherwood park fish and game as they have similar immeneties. Will be interesting to see how their memberships change this year.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Pretty pricey for what their range offers. Looking at Ponoka, you can only shoot on certain days of the week, appears to be very limited accessibility. But given the increasing demand for ranges, you have to settle for what is available.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-01-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM

So, which one is closer? Are you going to spend or save the 60.00 in fuel to go there over a year?
Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

Not sure what to say, other than gun ranges are getting scarce and we are all going to have to pay more if we enjoy out hobbies.
I pay $500 for Phoenix and I love it.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Not sure what to say, other than gun ranges are getting scarce and we are all going to have to pay more if we enjoy out hobbies.
I pay $500 for Phoenix and I love it.
I couldn't settle for a 40 yard range. It might be okay for handguns, but pretty much useless to me for rifles.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:27 PM

The regular membership fee did not increase, just the range membership. I wonder if they're planning some work for the range?

We're just regular members at Red Deer in order to camp and fish with other family members there, but have a range membership at Sherwood Park. I haven't shot at Red Deer since I was a kid so I can't comment on the quality of the range facilities there, but we are very happy with the range facilities at Sherwood Park.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 PM

Not even a dollar a day.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I couldn't settle for a 40 yard range. It might be okay for handguns, but pretty much useless to me for rifles.
True, that's all I use it for my hand guns. I've had to quit rifles, GAVE them away to friends
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
So, which one is closer? Are you going to spend or save the 60.00 in fuel to go there over a year?
For me I am going to join Ponoka. I am in between both ranges. Red deer has good amenities but the cost to me is high, closest range in comparison as I can see is SPFG which is substantially cheaper with more to offer, I was a member there until moving south. I figured $200 was high but could support it for the offerings. Now I feel it is too high and will forego some nice features and join the Ponoka fish and game, one nice thing is they have trap shooting which will be nice. I am curious though if that cost will be reflected in membership renewals?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:40 PM

I was gonna get a membership too.... Frick!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Not even a dollar a day.
The point is why such an increase? It is the highest costing outdoor range that I can find with less amenities, although they are good and excellent facilities. Seems like Red Deer everything is higher than anywhere else. I used to be a member at 2-3 different clubs but since moving to Red Deer I have supported the RDFG at a higher price than I have ever paid for an outdoor FGC until now.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 PM

The cost of Range most memberships is grossly undervalued given that the majority of those shooting today played little or no part in the thousands of volunteer sweat equitity hours required to establish the facility. And think of all those volunteer hours (reducing cost) that it takes to keep most facilities operating. Previously mentioned was the $500 annual membership to shoot 40 yards at Phoenix...a facility at which the retail part of the business also helps pay the bills. Now, if those employees would just start volunteering their time, it would cut costs...seems reasonable...no?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM

Our range membership went up to $250 this year .
Still well worth it for what you get .
Cat
Old 01-03-2019, 07:59 AM

Think of how much a round of 18 hole golf is. The yearly range membership is still cheap.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Our range membership went up to $250 this year .
Still well worth it for what you get .
Cat
Absolutely,possibly the best range in Western Canada. An elevated shooting house for shooting to 1000m or more, nine individual handgun bays, trap and skeet, indoor range on site, a heated clubhouse with A/C, a full kitchen, and BBQs, showers, and guest cabins. And you can shoot during all legal hours, no 9am or 8pm restrictions. I would gladly pay $250 to use that facility.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM

The Wapiti Shooters range is $335 per year. Great facility, I'd be cheaper to do the drop in fee for as often as I get there, but look at it as support for a place that needs to exist.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The Wapiti Shooters range is $335 per year. Great facility, I'd be cheaper to do the drop in fee for as often as I get there, but look at it as support for a place that needs to exist.
And that is why most ranges either don't allow drop ins, or have restrictions on drop ins. Some people calculate whether drop in fees are cheaper than a membership, and then they don't buy a membership. And many people don't even pay the drop in fee. We had a cash box for guest fees, but after finding Canadian Tire money or IOUs or sarcastic notes in the box, we installed an automated gate, to keep the freeloaders out, and to protect ourselves from liability, in case one of them caused an incident.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM

I was a member for a year and wouldn't take another one if it was free. After reading how "crown land shooters" are part of the problem, "be counted" and join the range, I jumped through the safety course hoops and out I go. Feared for my life on three separate visits and will not go back.

I have a nicer place to shoot on crown land with no idiots and shooting to 500 yards if I so desire. I am generally shooting grouse in the area so it is cost free and safe.

I did enjoy the Rocky range 20+ years ago but I am sure things are not the same there either.