Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2018, 02:11 PM

Default What do you consider the Sweet Spot for a reliable used car?

On Christmas, my 18 yr old daughter was involved in a serious accident on hwy 16 coming back from our family supper. Roads were treacherous. Car in front of her hit the brakes. She then did also, hitting ice, and losing control. Piled into the rear end of the vehicle in front. Thankfully, the vehicle she hit sustained minimal damage, but her car was written off. Doctor at the hospital said it was a Christmas miracle that she sustained no serious injuries. It goes without saying we were thankful.

Now the hunt for a reliable used vehicle begins. She is in school, and I want something that will be reliable for a number of years. Think Toyota Corolla sort of car. Anyhow, I have always been a new car kinda guy, as the used vehicles I have bought have proven to be headaches. I have often heard that 2-3 years old was the depreciation/reliability sweetspot.

If you were in my shoes, getting a vehicle for your daughter, what would you be narrowing your search for in terms of make, model, and mileage?

Can go as high as $17K all in.

Last edited by sns2; 12-31-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:22 PM

I would say Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3 wr have had both and have found nothing except routine maintenance. I would look for something 2 or 3 years old with 50 000km or less and found those were a fair bit less than new.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:26 PM

I would be looking for a 2-3 year old Corolla, that is still under warranty, preferably one that has been serviced at a dealer, so there will be services records.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:28 PM

I myself never buy new. I always try and purchase under 30,000 km and flip my diesel 3/4 tons under 130,000 km and wife’s gas at around 100,000. That’s only based on best resale though. 17K should get you a pretty good vehicle for an 18year old.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:37 PM

I would consider something approx 5 to 6k. 150 to 180k 8 years old or so.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 PM

About a 2015 Subaru Forester, or Jeep. With all the crazy drivers out there wouldn't buy my daughter anything small.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:49 PM

We did a Mazda 3 for our daughter. Be sure to get it inspected by your mechanic NOT theirs. We bought a 2010 Jeep private sale to have the transmission fail after 4 months...
that’s when we got the Mazda
Glad your kid is okay
Old 12-31-2018, 02:49 PM

Reliability relates to safety factor when it comes to not being stranded in the middle of Timbuktu when its -30, but reliability does not necessarily correlate to the best crash protection.

I agree that a Corolla is as reliable as heck but I have no idea of its crashworthiness. Throw some quality winter tires on whatever you wind up with. Lately I'm leaning towards something in AWD for Mrs Caber, perhaps a Rav4 or such. She's a Toyota loyalist and I like German brands, if VW still offered a Passat wagon in North America I'd personally be down for one of those in 4Motion.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:01 PM

We bought my son a 07 Mazda 3 for his first car, fun little 5 sp. Had 225,000 km's when we bought it, second year of driving it now. Car has been awesome. Nice car and in the 3 to 4G range, if you keep your eyes peeled on kijiji, jump when a good one comes up. We got his full load for $2500.00 and it came with a set of almost new winter tires on rims.

Glad to hear your daughter is ok. That's the most important.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What's a used Honda Civic go for?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Toyota Corolla/Tercel, Honda Accord etc. are good options.
When my daughter was learning I should have bought an old NAPA auto parts delivery truck with the angle iron welded all around it. She drove by braille.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:08 PM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

S60s are quite reliable, and it's tough to beat Volvo's safety.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:11 PM

I was never a Ford guy until we bought a Fusion. It was a great car until my wife was hit and the car was written off. We went out and got another one. This latest car is AWD, leather, back up camera , blind spot mirror etc, and has been great. The AWD and winter tires makes my wife feel so much more confident driving that it is worth it for that alone
Old 12-31-2018, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
On Christmas, my 18 yr old daughter was involved in a serious accident on hwy 16 coming back from our family supper. Roads were treacherous. Car in front of her hit the brakes. She then did also, hitting ice, and losing control. Piled into the rear end of the vehicle in front. Thankfully, the vehicle she hit sustained minimal damage, but her car was written off. Doctor at the hospital said it was a Christmas miracle that she sustained no serious injuries. It goes without saying we were thankful.

Now the hunt for a reliable used vehicle begins. She is in school, and I want something that will be reliable for a number of years. Think Toyota Corolla sort of car. Anyhow, I have always been a new car kinda guy, as the used vehicles I have bought have proven to be headaches. I have often heard that 2-3 years old was the depreciation/reliability sweetspot.

If you were in my shoes, getting a vehicle for your daughter, what would you be narrowing your search for in terms of make, model, and mileage?

Can go as high as $17K all in.
Why not buy her a brand new little one? I see them advertised under that price. AT least it would have warranty to get her through school. I am thinking the same thing with my daughter out at U of Vic.

So glad she is ok. I cant imagine it.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Brand new Honda Civic. That she can make the payments on.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:37 PM

Wife owned a 2008 Corolla for 7 years and her university days. I only had to do routine maintenance. It was a great car and with Michelin X-ice tires it was a mountain goat she was able to go through snow where other larger cars got stuck. We drove some pretty nasty conditions with it and was a great and reliable car. Upgraded at 185,000km to a crv Once the kids arrived.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:43 PM

Just picked up a 04 Nissan pathfinder with 148000 kms for $3000 for my daughter.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM

Doesn't matter what you buy used cars are always a crap shoot
Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM

$5,000.00
Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM

I think 10 years old under 150,000km. Maximum depreciation and if you are willing to look around you can get a nice vehicle for between $10-12000.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Good to hear there were no serious injuries.

I'm in the exact same position, looking for a car for my daughter, also 18, who is in her first year of university.

I am looking at Honda and Toyota vehicles and leaning towards a Rav4 or CRV (small SUV) so it's a little safer in a collision compared to a smaller car. You can't beat these brands for reliability or resale.

In your budget, you can get some very nice options, near +/- 100K- 120K kms for around $13-15K which leaves you with enough dough to get a good set of winter tires and steel rims.

Last edited by EZM; 12-31-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 PM

CRV is a nice suv for your daughter. Jeep liberty are nice but heard they are heavy on fuel and tranny issues with them.I,m also looking for my 18yr old daughter and cant decide on a car or to buy a suv.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
About a 2015 Subaru Forester, or Jeep. With all the crazy drivers out there wouldn't buy my daughter anything small.
I second this. Get a subaru for sure. 3 year old impreza would do her good. As long as it wasnt run hard that car will do good for many years. Excellent IIHS rating. Its what my kids will be driving.

Lifes to precious to drive a Corolla...
Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Subaru

We just bought my son an 08 subaru impreza hatchback after searching finally r months for a car. The awd, safety rating, longevity, and resale value of these cars is something i am very happy about. I would recommend a subaru
Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow View Post
We just bought my son an 08 subaru impreza hatchback after searching finally r months for a car. The awd, safety rating, longevity, and resale value of these cars is something i am very happy about. I would recommend a subaru
My commuter car is a '09 impreza. I've taken it out in all types of spicy weather and never had I've come to prefer it to my chevy when things are crap out.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:21 PM

For $17k she could get a 3 yr old suv with a nice set of options

Your price range opens tons of doors
Old 12-31-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
For $17k she could get a 3 yr old suv with a nice set of options

Your price range opens tons of doors

You beat me to it. For that $, a decent 3 year old Rav4, with under 70K km is easily had. Then she has a great vehicle she can drive for ten years or longer. Love toyotas.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
'..For that $, a decent 3 year old Rav4, with under 70K km is easily had. ."
Not really easily had, best I could come up with is a 5yr old with
135K for a whopping near $19G(after GST + dealer fee crap)

Cheapest 2015 Rav's are still in the $22-30G area

Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 PM

I'd offer the owners $6k for this one. I'd even go to calgary if you wanted to look at it and do a diagnostic scan on it as a I have a dealer scan computer. Engine is extremely reliable as is the trany as a rule. The 4 matic awd from that era puts most other brands new awd system to shame. And now she can move herself.

This one could also be a good buy, if you're willing to change the thermostat.

I'd also look at this one.

Even this one. Probably one of the safest cars in a crash you'll find other than a brand new mercedes. Easily topping volvo. If it's been kept sorted, it'll be a good car.

These are extremely safe cars. In mercedes, avoid anything 2005/2006 with a 350 number designation.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:14 PM

Good friend of mine went through the same search for his wife. She was an accountant type and with the sales on new corollas vs used. After she crunches the numbers it was cheaper to buy new over the 4-5 year life of the loan. Then you end up with warranty and past owner history etc...