Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The way I look at it that you never see the relatives of dogs like the wolves and coyotes eating corn or grain. They are strict meat eaters although you do see some coyote poop with berries in it.
That's why the fallen apples and pears (especially the pears) are attracting the coyotes to the yard? They will eat the pears and apples before they will eat meat scraps in the bait pile.
Must be because the coyotes around my place aren't wild?
Old 12-23-2018, 05:32 PM

A buddy gets as many perch as he can from me. We will fish till he has a ton. Feeds a number of them to his dogs whole frozen each day. He says the vet has never seen healthier dogs.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-23-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Yeah, I got roasted a bit on a previous thread when I brought up a raw fed diet.
Most vets aren't crazy about it either. I'm sure they see a lot of people who don't understand what raw fed whole prey means.

It's like a vegetarian who drops meat and doesn't do the research on how to replace the nutrients they are walking away from. Their diet will be deficient.

It's the same with raw fed. If you just feed raw chicken breast and red muscle meat, your dogs diet will be deficient. Whole prey means muscle, organ, bone, tendon and connective tissue and entrails (done properly).

I've been lucky. My breeder swears by raw fed and has many different sources. From the Baldwin product, at huge discounts from retail, to chicken necks from the local Hutterites, to a local butcher who does 1lb cubes of whole prey beef product. And don't forget your wild meat, it adds variety to their diet too.
Yah for raw we get stuff with bone, organs, tripe and a wide variety (chicken, turkey, pork, beef tripe, some rib bones, a chicken mix that has fresh veggies ground up in it). We’ve tried some fish ones but my guy won’t touch it.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryDan View Post
We’ve had 2 Great Danes from the same breeder. She requires in the contract that the dogs are fed raw and got us hooked up with her raw supplier. She is getting 9-10 years for the males and 11-12 years for females, both well above normal life expectancies for Danes. Our guys have had perfect joints, no hip/heart issues. I’ve heard a lot of the negative comments about raw diets for dogs but in my 10 years of using it haven’t had one myself.
Exactly and throw in lots of running and exercise too......but unfortunately a dog comes into a family....novelty wears off...a scoop of cheap crap to eat....open the door dog goes out...dog comes in.....and then it gets unhealthy....go figure eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM

I have been feeding my dog Acana Pacifica for over 10 years with no issues. It seems to have all the ingredients that work well with my pooch. Coat is shiny and digestive track is good.

Dog food is big business and lots of cheap foods have plenty of fillers. Like anything, you get what you pay for. Lots of dogs have sensitive stomachs though, so it may take awhile to find the proper brand.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Banned

I've been feeding my German Shepherd table scraps for the last 2 and a half years. Since then she's placed 1st four times in the CKC all breed conformation show's.

Look at what a beauty she is for a German Shepherd:

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_...put-quality=90
Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Wink at least it has fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I've been feeding my German Shepherd table scraps for the last 2 and a half years. Since then she's placed 1st four times in the CKC all breed conformation show's.

Look at what a beauty she is for a German Shepherd:

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_...put-quality=90
Impressive! Did you have to go to Transylvania to find that fine specimen? How did you manage to coax it off the parapet and clip its wings? ( gargoyle looking thing anyways)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Here is a link to the article I read before posting this thread. It’s too soon to tell yet but I think they might be on to something substantial here. https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary.../ucm613305.htm
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Default Gentle Giants

Has anyone tried the Gentle Giants food? Made by Burt Ward (Robin) Some remarkable claims... curious to hear thoughts