Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Default What does your whitetail rattling antlers look like?

Just started a topic out of curiosity of what different pairs of rattlers look like other than mine as well as post some bucks you've rattled in!

Here's my two pairs.. The one on the left I currently use and in the back my second deer I've rattled in and took(rattled a smaller the day before and passed)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Both of mine would fit into the middle stainless container on the counter. Dang things clank around when you don't want them to and they catch on everything.....................smaller is better IMHO
Old 10-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Mine come in a nice little bag and all the same length. hehe Fit in my pocket easy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 AM

They look like this.......

If you see nothing it's because I don't have any.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
They look like this.......

If you see nothing it's because I don't have any.
Same here, I dont use antlers, the best tactic is to be a ghost in my opinion. No smell, no noise, no movement. Get in your stand, find the food source, find the trail, get set up and wait.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM

I used to 'pshawww' the rattling concept unroll I gave them a go 2 years ago, rattled in plenty... Then the next year... Brought another small buck right up to my ground blind.

Who da thunk it.

They're small, they fit nicely into
My daypack. They work.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM

I just throw them in the bed of the truck to rattle around there, especially effective on washboard gravel....brings them right out to the road, easier to hunt them there.

LC
Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I used to 'pshawww' the rattling concept unroll I gave them a go 2 years ago, rattled in plenty... Then the next year... Brought another small buck right up to my ground blind.

Who da thunk it.

They're small, they fit nicely into
My daypack. They work.
I have been using synthetic for a few years now, they work as well IMO, one hand operation from some, and easy to transport. Don't work all the time, just another technique to use in a lot of situations.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 AM

My two sets would be a little smaller and lighter than your two sets. I have rattled in an awful lot of bucks with them. I've seen nice bucks break cover and run towards me many times. Rattling does work. Tried synthetic...not for me.

Like a lot of things timimg is important and.....technique is King as far as Im concerned. Over-do rattling and you won't see anything.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
Same here, I dont use antlers, the best tactic is to be a ghost in my opinion. No smell, no noise, no movement. Get in your stand, find the food source, find the trail, get set up and wait.
I am a firm that If a hunter reallies on only one method of hunting they are not going to be able to adapt when the wind is wrong for their stand or ground blind , when they have to move to a different area because there are too many people in their normal area, or they find a funnel area that has been created from natural occurrences.
Antlers are just one facet of white tail hunting, as are still huting and tree
stand hunting.
Cat
Old 10-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Banned

Default rattlers

Ok I'll bite. these are mine, but quite honestly if youv'e seen one pair youv'e seen em all imho. I have rattled in 2 bucks in the past, so i know rattling can be effective but darn do I hate it when I bang a knuckle. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattlers.jpg (65.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 AM

I use a set from a pretty heavy 125"+/- 5x4. For big deer I have found them to work best. The two biggest deer I rattled in both would have made book but I never had a rifle as I was helping someone and in both cases sub 100 yard shots were offered and no dead deer..... Still gives me nightmares!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Default Antlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Ok I'll bite. these are mine, but quite honestly if youv'e seen one pair youv'e seen em all imho. I have rattled in 2 bucks in the past, so i know rattling can be effective but darn do I hate it when I bang a knuckle. lol
Saw your brow times off !! It really helps !!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Mine come in a nice little bag and all the same length. hehe Fit in my pocket easy.
That's what I use too. Simple, compact, and they have worked for me in the past.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

I use a heavy 150" set.... Super loud, I've broken 3 antlers clean in half... I rattle like a war. I'm sweating by the end and can hardly lift my arms...

It works...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.9 KB, 200 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I use a heavy 150" set.... Super loud, I've broken 3 antlers clean in half... I rattle like a war. I'm sweating by the end and can hardly lift my arms...

It works...
yes. two people breaking branches or shuffling leaves 10 feet apart adds to the illusion.
to extend the illusion imitate a buck following a hot doe with a tending grunt, using a cow call can with a grunt tube following at 20 yards behind, breaking branches as we go, bleating and grunting. do try to sneek in just move around the rattle spot, take of back pack or setup camera tripods, what ever, clearing shooting lanes or laser distances. this is your assuming the tending buck was met by a another buck and they area squaring off and posturing each other. then setup to smashin.
the others are either coming in hard or running away fast.
I use a 160-70 class mulie 4x4's without browtines and they fairly flat when not in use.
refrain from 'clapping' the horns, if you move your hands from 12 to 6 oclock you don't smash fingers anymore

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
yes. two people breaking branches or shuffling leaves 10 feet apart adds to the illusion.
to extend the illusion imitate a buck following a hot doe with a tending grunt, using a cow call can with a grunt tube following at 20 yards behind, breaking branches as we go, bleating and grunting. do try to sneek in just move around the rattle spot, take of back pack or setup camera tripods, what ever, clearing shooting lanes or laser distances. this is your assuming the tending buck was met by a another buck and they area squaring off and posturing each other. then setup to smashin.
the others are either coming in hard or running away fast.
I use a 160-70 class mulie 4x4's without browtines and they fairly flat when not in use.
refrain from 'clapping' the horns, if you move your hands from 12 to 6 oclock you don't smash fingers anymore
Yup, I do the whole scenario. If anyone's heard 3 bucks chasing a hot doe, it's not quiet. I also huff and snort and stomp boots.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM

If you have ever been close enough to see two good bucks fight, you can't even rattle close to how hard they clash antlers.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I just throw them in the bed of the truck to rattle around there, especially effective on washboard gravel....brings them right out to the road, easier to hunt them there.

LC

HAHAH. Thats a great idea..... or tie them to your hitch like wedding cans.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabucks View Post
If you have ever been close enough to see two good bucks fight, you can't even rattle close to how hard they clash antlers.
That's how I learned. The roars and huffing they were making was almost as loud. After that I figgerd all the crap about soft rattling was just that.... Crap!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM

I have used some nice heavy antlers as well as synthetic (little roll bags). Both have worked fine for me, though I find the real ones work a bit better, but are usually a little bit more of a pain to transport, not a real big deal though.
I totally agree with the additional noise. I paw the ground, use the antlers in the ground, go against the trees a bit, and have had lots of bucks come ripping right at me, nearly got ran over a couple of times last year! Bringing in deer is easily one of my favorite things to do, it's always a good time.

Tags
antlers, calling, passion, rattling, whitetail