Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Default what would complete my rifle collection?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year first and for most. I shot my first whitetail buck this fall and i had a small dellima. I have a Weatherby 300 win mag and u can imagine what my cape and front shoulders looked like. So i own that gun and a 7.62x54R moissen nagaint, a Savage .17 HMR, a Benelli Nova shot gun. I love all my guns but i feel that im lacking in some areas. It seems that i either have to much boom or not enough. I would like a nice deer gun that can be used for beer and coyotes as well. I would prefer a lever action or something different that everybody else. Also, i would like something for primitave weapons and shot gun zones. Please help me. Any suggestions? And i bow hunt and love my PSE Stinger. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
sheephunter

Never say that a rifle collection can be complete.....it's a bannable offence!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Sheephunter is right! But, if I am the first to make a suggestion, I say a .270, or if you want to make the old guys cringe, a .270WSM
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwackabuck View Post
I would like a nice deer gun that can be used for beer and coyotes as well.
I don't think beer should be shot. lol I use a 7mm-08 for everything and I love it. A friend of mine uses a 6.5x55 and it works wonders also. Anything around there works great including .270, 25-06 ect.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

My wife tells me, this is my theme song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Grizz
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM

a mini gun.....or anything that requires a turret.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I would like a nice deer gun that can be used for beer and coyotes as well.
Better to drink the beer than shoot it.
Options might be .25-06, 6.5x55, .270, all 3...you get the idea.

[edit] -- I guess getting distracted by the TV got me beat out on this one.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Get something "Restricted"

Handgun, AR15 or even a non restricted black rifle; Swiss Blackspecial, AR180B.

There's a lot out there
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM

My answer to your question[others seem to think jesting is an answer] would be the .243. I have taken hundreds of coyotes with one and most of my deer since I bought one in 1973. You already seem to have enough gun for any bigger game, so the light recoil would be a treat and it's plenty big enough for the two animals you have mentioned.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 PM

Come on guys this fella told us what he has in the gun cabinet looking for a good deer gun.....Likes lever actions.....HOLY its simple as pie. Marlin 336 lever action in 30-30Win. I had this same issue a few years years back and I thought to myself what is the one rifle that everyone must have and BAM!! A marlin 30-30 join my gun family. Cheap ammo very capable cartridge within a reasonable range. If you dont reload you can get hornady leverlution which makes it a whole lot more accurate. Consider it you wont regret getting one!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM

Well first off I dont know if you can call 4 guns a collection, just yankin your chain. but it sounds to me that you need a couple of guns. For a deer gun how about a 30-30, 32 win special or .308 lever built by Marlin or Winchester or a Browning BLR? Then as far as primitive weapons depending on your budget I think a muzzle loader would be great, you can go with a fairly cheap one or spend close to a grand on a Thompson Center, depending on your flavor. Good luck building your collection!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM

Or put both DennyV and pitw's suggestions together and pick up yourself a Browning BLR in .243 Win. Nice little lever gun with a detachable box magazine in the versitile caliber.

I do have a .243 in my collection but, in a bolt so I certainly agree with pitw's points and I have a .30/30 and .45/70 levers which I dig so agree with the need for everyone to own a lever or 12 in your collection.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 PM

243, 7m-08 or a 308 be great I think with the 243 really good on your coyotes + deer. As for your lever action I got me a old 30-30 I picked up cause I wanted one and they're awesome but if your planning on shooting coyotes at a longer range i think it be hard with cal. Browning makes a lever action called BLR its its awesome in any cal. you want. My gf is probably going to get one in 308 for her bd this year and I might take it out for some fun myself.

Heres a link

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...34&type_id=009
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Some good suggestions so far, the 270/25-06/30-06/280 category are good, so are the lever 30-30/35 rem/45-70 marlins, you need both, order them now. In your shoes I would pick up a get a ruger 10-22 at the same time and do some serious research into a 22-250 or 204. This should solve your immediate problem while you decide on what 20 gauge and muzzle loader to get. Oh yah your going to need a bigger cabinet.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 PM

You can tell yourself that you just need one more to complete your collection but will always find something else to add.
Some of my favorites are:

22 LR
22-250 Remington
7mm-08 Remington
25-06 Remington
257 Weatherby
270 Winchester
270 WSM
7mm STW
7mm Remington
300 Weatherby
375 H&H
416 Remington
416 Weatherby
460 Weatherby

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 AM

.270 or 30-06

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
" . . . I would like a nice deer gun that can be used for beer . . . "
We see that you're new around here (welcome to the AO ), so we'll give you some slack. But in the future, you got to watch those typos ^. Suggesting that you'd shoot 'beer' could get you BANNED on this forum!

Quote:
" . . . I would prefer a lever action or something different that everybody else . . . "
Another typo ^ , but I think we got your drift. Lots of folks here will suggest one of the many Marlin levers, but I'd like to recommend an alternative, especially if you want something 'different'.

This is a lever-action with a difference ... no magazine. The emphasis here is to; 'make the first shot count' -

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/

For what it's worth, one of my rifles is a Ruger #1 ^ , in 45-70. I will never part with it.

Good Hunting,

GW

Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 AM

A light sporter in 6mm Remington, or a Browning B78 octagon in the same calibre are both nice additions - had them both, shot both a bunch, really nice guns.
Cat
Old 12-31-2009, 06:59 AM

Browning BLR in 243 win or 7mm-08 Rem.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 AM

Well.......Wack..... I think that your 300 is just fine for whitetails. If you had a problem with meat and cape damage, I think your issue was probably your choice of bullets.

I've shot a wack (sorry no disrespect intended...) of Whitetails with 300 Wins and with a 180 I have not had any issues. Now a 165 or a 150 in a 300, be it a Weatherby or not, is gonna make a mess, again depending on the bullet. Some of the new whizzy bullets a darn near solids.

As far as another lighter rifle, as stated above, there are lots to choose from. If you belong to a local range, I'm sure some of the members would let you try their rifles. If you belong to Spruce Grove Gun Club, I would let you try several.

My personal choice, considering what you already have, 280 Rem. Great bullet selection, reasonable recoil and less than 15 yards different than a 7 Rem Mag on a 10 inch target. If your stuck on the levers than take a look at some of the new Marlin cartrideged rifles or ...hmmm maybe a Winchester 95.

Anyway have fun with your growing accumulation.