Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Default 20 gauge double

Why is it so hard to find an inexpensive used 20 gauge double in Alberta. I am looking for a good light grouse gun and cannot seem to find one. Everything for sale is a 12 gauge.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

Default cz yildiz

Have you looked at cz or yildiz shotguns?? Not sure what you're definition of inexpensive is but for a decent double for me it starts around 1000 bucks as being inexpensive. I have a ringneck 20g with 26" bbls that is pretty decent. It sure isn't as nice as my 12g beretta but it's less than half the cost. I've heard good things about yildiz too from prophet river in Lloydminster.

I've seen some browning bss 20g guns on CGN for around the $1500 dollar mark.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 PM

I feel your pain ecsuplander, I've been looking for close to a year now for a 20ga sxs but i can't seem to find one that makes me go "ya that's the one" I've been tempted to goto an o/u but can't bring myself to do it. Hopefully we both find the right gun we're looking for.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 PM

there's a hungarian 20g sxs on the used rack at proline in calgary for i think $400, looks to be in good shape.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

my dad shoots the yildiz 20ga sxs.....fun little gun...beautiful, light...perfect field gun.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM

whats wrong wth this one from whole sale sports ???UPLANDER DELUXE SIDE BY SIDE
Stoeger
Item #218344 Price: $589.95
or this one ?? UPLANDER SIDE BY SIDE
Stoeger
Item #218347 Price: $449.95
or STEVENS 512 GOLD SHOTGUN
Savage Arms
Item #236925 Price: $699.95
or this one???
CONDOR 1 OVER & UNDER
Stoeger
Item #218338 Price: $519.95??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

My buddy has a Stoeger Condor, I know every one says their supposed to be crap cause their made in Brazil or somthing and no good shotguns could ever possibly be made in Brazil but it seems to work well and the fit and finish is at least as good as my Wingmaster so I would think it should be sufficiant for a hunting gun. The only other doubles I have any experience with are a Bakail and the old Savage doubles. I like my buddies as much as the old savage doubles and I think both are better than the baikal guns. As well its a double you can put to some hard use without crying to much when it gets dinged.

Last edited by Cal; 09-17-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 AM

I have onwed a few IGA's, Boito's, etc and they are decent , cheap guns, but they cannot compare to the CZ for finish, handling , or weight.
I would phone Clay at Prophet River and tell him to send me a CZ Bobwhite today!
Cat
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM

A friend had a stoeger double and it lasted all of 3 seasons for upland. Something internal with the trigger/fire mechanism broke.

From the fit and finish I can tell you that a CZ or Yildiz look 3x better from the get go compared to the Stoeger.

I have nothing against the Stoeger as they make a very nice semi for the price!

If your looking for reviews on shotguns - www.shotgunworld.com is a great site in the "I love my" section of their forum.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

so between the CZ and the Yildiz does one have the edge? I'v seen the CZ guns but what do YildIz Shotguns cost?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM

The CZ appears to be a couple of hundred bucks more. Both are nice looking guns. Thanks for the info on Prophet Guns in Llyod they have some nice firearms.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM

hmm they look pretty similar to me...i have never shot the cz...but i have used other cz products and have found them very nice....if i had to guess i would say the cz has a bit better trigger on it.....and if you like you can get tje cz in a double trigger where the yildiz is just a single.

also the cz is a steel receiver where as the yildiz is an alloy....again good and bad here ....this makes the cz more durable..especially if you are running thousands of shells through it...but it also means that the yildiz comes in at just over 5lbs where the cz is 7lbs ( i am comparing the bob white and the elegant A% btw...but all the yildiz sxs seem to be about the same)

i will offer the same invitation i have to others...if you are still undecided and are swinging through lethbridge....let me know in advance and i can have the sxs for you to shoot if you like.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Clash, I read on another post you ( Yildiz)bought from the States. How much red tape to get it here and how much did the cost end up being. Looking at the Academy site and they are about 300.00 less than here.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM

well for me it didn't work out well....the paper work was pretty easy..but my broker in the states was less than honest with me and it ended up in headaches...to be honest i think going with one from prophet river will work out to be about the same price once you factor everything in

but i am sure there are others on here that would have a better idea than me..i have only done it once.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 PM

I have a Stevens 512 12-gauge that I bought new for $600. They make 20s for similar price. Made in Turkey for Savage Arms. Sleeker than a Stoeger, nice fit and handling, no issues. The action was a bit stiff at frist but it loosened up nice.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

I said I'd never buy another gun but if I ever find a .410 o/u, I'm in. However they seem to be quite expensive.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 AM

because 20G is all you'll ever need outside of waterfowl hunting...most guys who have 20's seem to hang on to them....I've had mine for 19 years now....
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 PM

Hi all,
Just my 2 cents, go on the Canadian Gun Nutz forum and they always have lots of good used 20 ga. s/s coach gun. I bought one their last fall and it was in great shape and approx. $300. Don't just limit yourself to 1 site there are alot of shotguns for sale.
Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Dont buy a stoeger Uplander youll regret it i got one for my birthday and it misfired out of the box.we tried to have it fixed but still misfired. listen to what people say and steer clear of stoeger. we traded it in for a stevens 512 Gold wing and never have had a problem. shot a grouse and partridge with it this year!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 PM

I was recently shopping for a nice grouse gun. You're right, it is hard to find nice 20 ga side-by-sides. If I could have found a Browning BSS in 20 ga I would have bought it but they are discontinued. I ended up buying a Stevens Gold Wing 512 in 28 ga at Wholesale Sports. It's an inexpensive Over/Under and I love it. It shoulders very nicely.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Default 20 ga. sxs

I have one for sale. Browning, straight grip, barrel selector, semi beaver tail forearm. $2400.00 firm. I can email pics. This gun is 95%
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Default Brand new

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Why is it so hard to find an inexpensive used 20 gauge double in Alberta. I am looking for a good light grouse gun and cannot seem to find one. Everything for sale is a 12 gauge.
I'm pretty sure that you can buy a stoeger side by side 20 gauge in the uplander model at wholesale sports for $500.00. five hundred bucks is a good chunk of change,but thats not bad for a brand new double 20 gauge?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Dont buy a stoeger Uplander youll regret it i got one for my birthday and it misfired out of the box.we tried to have it fixed but still misfired. listen to what people say and steer clear of stoeger. we traded it in for a stevens 512 Gold wing and never have had a problem. shot a grouse and partridge with it this year!
LOL,Guess I should have read this post first,maybe you should go with somethin besides the uplander.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 PM

i picked up a couple guns used about 10 years ago for cheap and the one i still have is a boito sxs 20 not what i would call high quality by any means .but a case or 2 of shells go through it every year, it shoots well never any problems,and has been the cause of 1/2 a dozen plus other 20 gauges being purchased by friends and family . if you are going to shoot a lot you may want a cz or better quality gun but for the little this one gets shot it works for me.
jack