Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Default anyone have experience with the Sako TRG-42

Anyone own one or shoot one? Any comments regarding the TRG in 338 Lapua?

Bobby B.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Precisionshooter

They work well. The receiver isn't particularily large so if you plan on going to a larger diameter barrel (longer as well) you will be a bit disappointed. The 3 lug concept is nice, small port which makes the receiver stiffer dispite its smaller cross section. The TRG-S or M995 uses the same bolt.

Lots of accessories available from Sako but the prices tend to be pretty stiff for what you are getting. For a mass produced rifle still a nice buy.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM

How much experience have you had shooting one? What was load development like? What bullets did you use? Do you believe the rifle is sufficiently heavy to absorb the recoil? Did yours have the suppressor/brake?

Bobby B.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

How about explaining this before asking a pile of questions.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=Bobby
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Default sako

I just glassed one for a buddy last night, It shot qite well but had some movement, in the stock.It is now rock solid.His rifle shoots 250 partitions very well, but we think this may tighten thing up a bit.He uses it mostly for long range shooting, and has installed a mercury brake in the rear of the stock.It added about a pound but took away the harshness. Very nice rig if you like the big stuff.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 PM

OK Duckbuster, just for you, here it is, the explanation you require to go on with your life. I was obviously (atleast I thought so) poking fun at some of the posts I've read on this forum, the ones with all the misspelled 'big words', the ones with the incorrect usage of the misspelled words, the ones with the obvious contradictions (atleast I thought so), the ones where the lack of delivery lends the reader to wonder just what the heck the writer was attempting to communicate. Some understood, and some didn't. I guess you fall in with the latter. Just curious, what has this past post to do with my interest in the TRG? Or do you prefer TGR?

Spurly, thank you for your response. I'm debating going the Sako factory route or a custom rifle in 338 Lapua.

Bobby B.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Precisionshooter

I didn't do really any load development with the rifle. It as second hand and I took it out to the range to test and inspect. It shot as well as I would expect a factory rifle to shoot. Unfortunately I don't recall the groups, but the owner in Sask, found it was deadly accurate and was extremely pleased. It had a factory brake which tamed the recoil substantially. I do recall he managed to brake the stock but I do not know all the details sorry. I have also heard the M995 factory stocks were breaking as well. Keep in mind I suspect you can break almost any stock.

Manufacturer's who claim their stocks are the strongest might be correct. Keep in mind what normally happens with increased strength is INCREASED WEIGHT. Of course they don't mention this at the time of purchase or advertising. I would only hope manufacturer's who make these claims.....would publish their stock weight with their ad....but SALES is Sales.......
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Default Sako

My buddy took his sako out today, and shot 2 groups.The first shot out of a clean barrell ,was abot 1/4" away from the other 2 which were touching. the second group had all three touching in a perfect cloverleaf.The bedding most definitly helped.For some reason the trg has a very tiny recoil lug, in comparison to other rifles.This rifle shot extremely well out to 900yds, it should now do even better.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Precisionshooter

The Fins. seemed to take a different direction on the recoil lug issue. In the case of the M995 or the TRG42, they don't use the receiver trapped (rem 700 style) or integral recoil lug. They use a block bedded into the stock. It tolerates only SHEAR load and isn't very deep. The Tikka now uses the same concept. I don't like them either but they work well when the action screws are tight...

When Tikka was separate from Sako, their M65 used a pressed in recoil lug (T section). Front action screw went directly into the lug (similar to the Mauser). I really didn't like the press fit, but it seemed to work. That particular design feature was one I really didn't like on the otherwise excellent action. A different approach for sure.

The Tikka M55 had a small integral recoil lug which protruded from below the receiver. A bedding block (U shape) was fitted into the stock and was sandwiched between the receiver and the stock...the front guard screw went through the block and into the integral lug on the receiver bottom.

Some different ideas...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Default sako

Yup lug was imbedded into the stock, and recess was cut into the barrell.What I didn't like was the recess was about 3 times the size of the lug, now that it is glassed it is almost a friction fit, stock and receiver will not part without some help.I skimmed the entire action and the first 2" of barrell channell.Turned out real nice.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Precisionshooter

I think you mean the recess (or slot) is milled into the bottom of the "receiver." I don't recall seeing the barrel slotted....unless you have a different unit.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Default 338

sorry, yes just in front of the front guard screw
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. What I need to do is to take a look at one first hand. The alternative to the Sako is a 338 lapua by ATRS. Do you two have any experience with Rick's 338"s?

Bobby B.

I wonder what happened to DuckBuster and his inquisitive confrontations?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Default 338

I have not personaly had anything to do with Ricks rifles, but he has a very good reputation for precision accuracy.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Rick's rebarreling a Sako Hunter AIII in 260 Rem for me. It will be ready for spring. He gaurantees 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yds, and believes most do better than that. Always found Rick to be a great guy to talk with.

Bobby B.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Bobby B
is this sumtin ur lookin at getting ?

it was built by ATRS its chambered in 338EDGE AI.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Yes. Are you a member of ATRS shooting team?

Bobby B.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Yes. Are you a member of ATRS shooting team?

Bobby B.
no im not.
im just a wannabe shooter ,but a decent hunter ...
i shoot at genessee,,, ur more than welcome to ride the bags or pod with it ,
see if its sumtin u would like.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the offer, I'd be very interested in firing a few through it. I also like to shoot at Genesee. Once the warm weather returns, I'll see you out there. Thanks again.

Bobby B.