Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM

Default Sticky Firing Pin on A-bolt

Has anyone experienced a "light" strike of the firing pin with their A-bolt? The pin lightly tapped the primer barely making a mark and the rifle didn't fire. But, I did hear the click when I pulled th trigger. The rifle is only 3 years old and has not been exposed to harsh conditions. If you have experienced this, is it an easy fix/clean by a gunsmith?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Have you disassembled the bolt to clean the components?It is possible that there is a buildup of crud inside the bolt.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 AM

elkhunter11, I have not disassembled the bolt. I have heard it is difficult on an A-bolt, which is why I will probably bring it to a gunsmith....and maybe have him do a few more things for me while I am in there. I should mention that this happened during cold weather and some snow did fall from tree branches onto my action earlier in the day. I didn't think it was possible that the snow could get at my firing pin and cause it to partially stick, but perhaps that is exactly what happened.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Bolts that come out of the factory have a tendancy to be fairly well lubricated with some of them almost greased with grease that resembles Cosmoline. Add in a few years of accumulated gunk, and cold weather, and there you have what happened to you.

A good parctice is every year to tear down your bolts (if your comfortable with it) and de grease and clean them thouroughly. I prefer to use something like a dry teflon lubricant instead of anything liquid. As liquidy type lubes regardless of the manufactures claims of low temperature performace can collect gunk, and that leads to just about as bad of issues as stiff liquids.

If are not comfortable with bolt disassembly, try searching google and youtube often a short video may be available, if your still un easy with it, your favorite gunsmith certainly will help you out.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Default Cleaning the bolt

Hi, bringing your gun to a Smithy is not a bad idea for a thourough cleaning, especially if you are not comfortable taking it apart.
If you have oiled the bolt or greased it, the cold and possible water could have stuck the spring firing pin assembly.

the other reason for taking it to a smithy is there may be a problem.

BC
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM

i agree with Dick284 on the dry lube for the bolt. it is best.

BC