Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Default scoping an Italian express rifle (pic heavy!)

Finally got around to fitting the rings and bases to my FAIR safari express rifle.
The mounts are designed in the European style so that the scope can be stored in a separate case on the sling or in a pack, and put on if a long shot is required, an the iron sights can be used for the close shooting encountered.
We in North America usually just use either/or, although there have been some swing away and removable mounts offered in the past.
These mounts are unique in the fact that the scope is originally installed with the set screws loosened, then after the scope in initially mounted in the rings and they in the bases, the front screws are tightened down.
This provides a perfect alignment for the two bases.
Once set up, the scope is easily taken off by a flick of the rear locking lever, which un-cams the rear base, and the scope is then twisted off and stored.

I don't plan on switching back and forth however, because the very reason Ii put the scope on was my eyes have been going through some rapid changes in the last few years, and it is easier to hunt with a scope instead of trying to fish out my glasses , and then trying to see over the bifocals!!
Anything from 20 to 100 is fine, as long as i have lots of light, however, such is not always the case.
So, here are some pics of the mounts for those of you that are used to the normal style of scope mounts, and have never seen this type

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-27-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Very unique ,I like it!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Very nice, and if you don't mind me asking, were do you get or order your FAIR rifles from?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Very nice, and if you don't mind me asking, were do you get or order your FAIR rifles from?
I buy my guns from Will Bilozir.
http://www.bilozir.net/
Cat
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

What is the rifle chambered in?

Are the scope and mounts really as beat up as they appear in the photos?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
What is the rifle chambered in?

Are the scope and mounts really as beat up as they appear in the photos?
The rifle is in 6.5X55, and no, they are brand new and spotless!
The scope however, has bee through the mill on several different guns , and on snowmobiles, in a jet boat, etc, so it has a few marks on it..
it still will box out a grid when on a match rifle however.
I dunno where the specks came from on the mounts, but some of it may be from grease on the bases.....
Cat