Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2023, 03:03 PM

Default Next week

Hey folks, I’m heading out for a couple days next week. I’m leaving from Edmonton, and want your help deciding which direction to head.

First choice is head down towards Nordegg and try to get into some trout, maybe Prairie Creek or Shunda. I’ve scoped a few spots via Google Maps.

Second Choice is head up to Fox Creek and hit Little Smoky for some Grayling. I’ve never fished LSR before, but I keep hearing about the second bridge on Bigstone Rd.

Third Choice is head out towards Hinton and try to explore some trout streams.

I’m leaving in a Tiguan so road conditions will play a factor. I’ll be tenting and will have bear protection with me.

Help me decide! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2023, 08:16 AM

all three would be excellent choices. tough to choose one over the other, but i would probably say Nordegg area.

2 reasons
been getting a lot of rain around Whitecourt-Fox Creek area and even out towards Hinton, so streams look pretty hi according to Alberta River FLow site. makes for some poor fishing

lots of excellent streams around Nordegg that will keep you occupied for quite some time. need at least a week to hit up most of the streams in that area. and i find they tend to clear a bit quicker then other areas especially the smaller streams.

that would be my choice but then you can't go wrong with the other two areas also. all 3 have lots of excellent streams to choose from.

good Luck
Mike
Old 08-01-2023, 09:53 AM

Appreciate the feedback, Mike! I’m leaning towards Nordegg as well, I’ve had some good luck out that way and it’s the area I’m most familiar with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2023, 07:16 PM

I was up in the Fox Creek area on Sunday and the Athabasca tributaries were flowing high and not really fishable. It might be better by next week but check the stream gauges for that area before you go. Nordegg might be a better choice. I still have to get down there myself this year.