Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2023, 05:57 PM

Default Newbie setup

I have never fly fished before. Figured I didn’t need to spend on another hobby. I have grown tired of not catching stocked trout on bait only to see the fly fishers hooked up.
What would be a good setup for a newbie fly fisherman? Mostly stocked lake fishing.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:30 PM

Hey BG. IMO, you can't go wrong with one of the kits with all the goods to get started from Cabelas or Bass Pro. 6wt is where i would start. Some others can chime in on typical lake flies, but an assortment of nymphs, water boatmen, wooley buggers and the like have always worked well for me. But I mainly fish moving water.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:48 PM

I would go with a TFO rod/reel (or set up) as the distributor is located in Calgary so if you break a tip (or another section) it is way more convenient...

Peter

The Alpine Experience

-Confucius
Old 07-26-2023, 11:37 PM

Maybe look at cabelas cgr fiber glass 5/6 rod... about $100 ... I think it is e-glass...idk about a good value reel and line
Old 07-29-2023, 09:39 AM

Personally I'd pick a 5wt set up for fishing trout in Alberta if I was just starting over again. I don't know what your budget is, but spend a bit more on your rod and line than you do on the reel. Don't skimp out on the line.

This might not be for everyone, but I fish lakes more than I do moving water, and I like to have both a floating and a sinking line(s). If your budget allows for it, pick a reel that either comes with an extra spool, or has extra spools available for it for future purchase. There are times when a sinking line is more useful than a floating line when fishing lakes.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:12 PM

Default Welcome

This is an addiction for which there is no known cure, so be warned!
My Grandfather's advice to me was that careful wading and accurate short casts will catch more fish than long casts! The advice has served me well for over 70 years.
Ask some of the younger fellows about nymph fishing, it is the most productive but it is a skill you need to learn.
You can try tying your own flys, since I've been in Alberta I have gravitated to elk hair caddis and elk hair grasshoppers. Over time both patterns have sort of merged, and the fish don't seem to care. Remember the careful presentation.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:15 PM

On smaller streams figure out where the fish like to hide or feed, get your fly to where they can see it. If they can't see it they can't bite it. Wade slow and quiet, don't tromp and splash around. Wear muted colors that somewhat match the surroundings. If it is sunny out be aware that your shadow suddenly coming over where a fish is laying will spook them even if they don't see you. Be prepared to loose lots of flies, fish like to be where you will get snagged easily like under logs, deadfalls, boulders and under cutbanks where you'll hook up on overhanging branches or tree roots. my rule of thumb on creeks and streams is if your not snagging and loosing flies your not getting those flies into the places where the fish hide.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:32 PM

Your original post indicated most activity will be at stocked trout ponds, so a 5wt rod will fit the bill. If you're on the water (float tube, pontoon, punt, whatever) a 10ft length will be advantageous, so look at the Orvis Clearwater. Then a floating line and a Type 3 sinking line will suffice.

Flies: chironomids in spring, leeches all season, backswimmers/boatmen in the fall.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:52 PM

I’m lucky if I get out a half dozen times a year so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I purchased a cheap cabelas pre made combo about 5 years ago and have had 0 issues with it. I changed out the line as soon as I got it and haven’t had to touch or upgrade anything on my setup. It’s a 6WT and I have caught everything from small perch to the largest being a 8 pound pike (not massive by any means but bigger then most in alberta catch on casting setups) one of my best buddies bought a really nice expensive setup for his first rod and hates flyfishing now. Spend what you can afford and just enjoy the sport! Don’t need anything fancy to start.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I would go with a TFO rod/reel (or set up) as the distributor is located in Calgary so if you break a tip (or another section) it is way more convenient...

Peter

The Alpine Experience
Yep agreed, TFO is the perfect entry rod, 5 or 6 WT.

Lakes are a great place to learn to fly fish and I would recommend a belly boat to get to the spots on the lake where the shore anglers can't.