Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendog690 View Post
Thinking of getting myself a quad. I don’t need the biggest, baddest machine. Just looking for some advice as to which ones to avoid and which ones I should look at. I’ll be using it for hunting and fishing, not for just riding around. What is the best bang for the buck?
I was In your spot 2004......search high, searched low, talked to outfitters etc not really knowing what to get as I was new to these four wheeled machines.
I just knew that I didn't need to be first on race day, get good gas mileage, not have huge repair bills and breakdowns when it really mattered so after all was thrown into thought I settled on a Honda fourtrax 350 fully manual shift....a year later bought the wife one in red as mine was yellow....upgraded the tires was all I did after the original ones wore out, neat little machines now if I was lanky in height I would get a 500 cc just slightly bigger.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 AM

Have had a 2003 FourTrax since brand new other than a couple hundred bucks in yearly maintenance nowadays it still a great machine

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 AM

My brother still rides his 1994 Suzuki king quad no issues other than routine maintenance. Takes it hunting , as well as chores and teenager trail rides by nieces, nephews, his son. No issues. My son bought a 2017 750 king quad, used for hunting, plowing, trail riding. Nice machine. I recommend Suzuki, but I'm far from an expert. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 PM

My first one was a Honda Foreman 400 in the late '90s, bought after having been bucked off a Yamaha 200 trike too many times.

I used it for work in the oilfield, and there was rarely a day it wasn't worked hard. It virtually lived in the back of my pickup, and was totally reliable for at least a decade. My only beef was its low clearance, so I eventually sold it and bought a Foreman 500 in 2009. It too is simply 'unbreakable'.

The original 400 is still being used daily by a farmer, and the fellow owning it is still remarking about its reliability. I have no idea how many miles or hours are on it, but it's a bunch. Both he and I are careful about servicing, and I think that really makes a difference. Those grease nipples are there for a reason!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM

I run a 2007 Honda Foreman 500 ES and have had no issue other than maintenance stuff. Runs like a charm and doesn’t break down. My dad runs a 2009 Honda Foreman ES with power steering which is nice to have. I personally like the solid rear axles, fewer things to go wrong IMO vs independent rear suspension. I replaced the coil springs all around with heavier duty ones which will handle the weight of my box on the back and a passenger.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 PM

I have a 99 Honda foreman 450. 8000 K on it. I never have a concern of it failing in the boonies. Had a rear axle bearing go(too many elk on quad haul outs I guess) did brakes a couple of times. Rides and performs like a tank.

I’m thinking the newer Honda’s have the same reliability, and if you have a tight budget, a 10 year old foremanwith low mileage (like 5000 k) would be a good choice
Old 01-01-2019, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the great info, seems like I'll be looking at the Honda and Yamaha machines. It's good to hear some of the experiences of people that have tried a few different ones over the years.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Dont be fooled with a high CC

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info, seems like I'll be looking at the Honda and Yamaha machines. It's good to hear some of the experiences of people that have tried a few different ones over the years.
Ive owned Honda's and Yamaha's, never anything larger than a 450cc. Both brands fit in the box of my p/u with the tailgate up. Never an issue with any of them.

Another thing I would recommend is dont go too big, the nice thing about the 35-450cc range is they are light enough that you can pretty well walk them through anything.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Grizzly 700. Best I've ever owned. Mine is an 2006 parts are cheap. Tons of power. Power steering. , differencial lock. Winch. Fits in the truck with tailgate closed. Nice to have the power when you need it. Holds value nicely too.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Can am outlander! Mid class is what you need. Super easy to maneuver. Has lots of jam. Has power steering. Bought mine new in 2015 and has not let me down. And came with a factory 5 year warranty. Unless your looking for a work horse I'd stay away from any of the bigger quads. A mid class is all you will need.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM

I have been dithering over a 400 king quad, or 420 rancher. I know guys that run yammy as well, and have had good luck.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
I have been dithering over a 400 king quad, or 420 rancher. I know guys that run yammy as well, and have had good luck.
No need to dither, buy the Honda.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:03 PM

I've heard from a few folks to go Honda over the Suzuki. Must be something to it.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
I've heard from a few folks to go Honda over the Suzuki. Must be something to it.
Yep, if you were dithering Yamaha vs Honda, I would call that a reasonable conundrum, vs Suzuki, not even close. If you save any money on the Suzuki, you will soon eat it up on bearings, joints and brakes.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Thinking of getting myself a quad. I don’t need the biggest, baddest machine. Just looking for some advice as to which ones to avoid and which ones I should look at. I’ll be using it for hunting and fishing, not for just riding around. What is the best bang for the buck?
Didn't see any posts on Bombardier Traxter 500. My wife inherited a 2002 from an old uncle in 2006-7 and it has been a very reliable machine since, although she has not used it a lot. Reminds me of a Honda Foreman in some ways. Starts quick and runs steady. High/Low/Reverse shifter on dash and 5 speeds electric shift transmission. Is that same as a Canam? She has it for sale on Kijiji for $3200 and it seems like it would be a great machine for what you are looking for. I am new here but I will watch for PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 PM

lol used to have a sticker on my helmet..
"Friends don't let friends ride Suzukis" That said The old 230 quadrunners from the 80's were pretty reliable but liked to tip over .My Father in law almost killed himself on his when went over backwords climbing a hill
Old 01-02-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
lol used to have a sticker on my helmet..
"Friends don't let friends ride Suzukis" That said The old 230 quadrunners from the 80's were pretty reliable but liked to tip over .My Father in law almost killed himself on his when went over backwords climbing a hill
I just seen someone cruising down a back road here on one.

There are still a few around here in decent shape.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 PM

We’ve ran the wheels off of Honda’s and Can Am’s on our ranch and the Outlanders have went just as many trouble free miles as the Hondas and are much more comfortable to ride.

The Grizzlies are also good.

Power steering and belt drive are a must for me.

Last year you could buy a new 450 Outlander with a winch and power steering for about $7500.

Gerry Burnie