Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 AM

Default Don't know about my tags?

So i went out to bass pro and bought a general white-tailed deer tag, and two Supplemntal antlerless white-tailed deer tags back on september 2nd. Didn't find oit untill today that i needed to draw for certian zones to hunt these tags. This is my first year hunting and no one has really gone over how the zones, tags and draw system really work. If someone could clarify this for me and possibly refer me to a Government site where i can draw these tags for zones (If i still can) for this hutning season, i would much appreciate it. I feel like a total idiot for this goof.

Also am new to the forum,
Names Devon and glad to be apart of the forums.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM

Default Don't think you goofed

I think you will be fine with those tags.

Draws for this hunting season needed to be in back in June, so you will be limited to general tags for this season. The tags you have are probably the tags with more general zones open than any others.

What zone(s) are you thinking of hunting.

Do yourself a favor and read the regs, again if you already have, you will find you can answer your own questions often. get a few copies of the paper regs. One for the truck, one for work, one for the thinking chair...

As for the draws the link to the booklet can be found on the Alberta Outdoorsman home page that might answer some of your questions too.

Good luck and welcome to AO!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 AM

Default zones

Was thinking 210,214 and 216. But from what my Uncle has told me, Is that i cant hunt my doe tags in any 200 zones, So i'm not sure on those.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 AM

According to the regulations in the link below you are good to go in any 200 zone for your antlered deer. The footnote at the bottom shows that your supplemental antlerless tags are only valid in wmu 258. There are opportunities in the 300 zones next door to 214 and 216. you might want to look at those in the second link.

Study the regulations well and you will be fine. And let's have some fun out there.

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...mu/wmu200.html

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...mu/wmu300.html
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM

I made the same mistake as you when I got my supp licenses for wt. I am going to have to drive in the opposite direction of where I have been going this season. Gonna have to buy some more landowner maps as well
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM

You wasted a bit of money but it's not the end of the world. Relax.
But again, it does point to the need to read the regulations carefully. All the asnwers to your questions are clearly there. While you can certainly read them online I'd really recommend getting a paper copy (from anywhere licenses are sold) and have it with you when you are out in the field, so you can check things, from legal shooting times to whatever. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Your general whitetail tag is good for antlered or antlerless in the three zones you mentioned above.

If you are keen to fill your supplemental tag you are a short drive from a 300 zones that it is valid in.

Before you head out take the time to understand the regulation book.

Good luck
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM

Default thank you !

Thank you to all who replied! I much appreciate it. I will deffinitley be reading and studying the Alberta Regulations for the 2013 season!

-Devon.

Tags
draws, goofed, tags, whitetail