Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Back country hammock vs tent

For the back country hunters out there I am curious about what you prefer between tent Vs hammock set ups? I have done plenty of tent hunting and scouting but was intrigued by the light weight hammock set ups out there. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the subject. Who runs hammocks and what brands do you prefer? Also curious how late in the year you would run them? I was thinking I’d be getting a tarp and bug net combo if I was to invest in a set up. I also thought maybe I’d just invest in a lighter tent as well if it isn’t worth the switch. What’s are everyone’s thoughts?
Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 AM

Totally depends where you are hunting. I use both UL tent, floorless tents( tipi, tarp) and hammock. Hammock is by far most comfortable for me. But it's heavier than the other two options. I have 2 hammocks both 11' one has bug netting the other doesn't. I use a under quilt in all seasons and a quilt on top. I also use a tarp over head. My total hammock set up is 6.8lb my ultra light tent set up is under 2 lb, my tipi is 2.6lb and my bivy is sub 1 lb.
Down side to the hammock is if it rains lots you rant in any kind of enclosure. You get dressed in the open and set up time and added weight.
Upsides you don't need to search for a clear Flat spot to pitch. Comfortable sleep ( as long as you keep warm enough)

I have run a hammock in as low as -10 and light snow.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 AM

Get a bivy. A hammock looks like a pain in the butt.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM

I have a Amok Draumr XL hammock and prefer it to sleeping in a tent on the ground - I find it far more comfortable.

The Draumr requires an inflatable sleeping pad to hold it's shape - I use the Amok Fjol XL which is good to -4C. I see they now have a winter pad that's good to -18 and actually weighs a bit less. Then I added an oversized silicone tarp from MEC which gives me a little extra room underneath.

It's not light weight (about 6 pounds not including the tarp) so if you're packing it in it might not be the best choice, but it's extremely comfortable and roomy compared to a gathered end hammock. It's good for side or stomach sleepers too.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Get a tipi tent, like kifaru or seekoutside , liteoutdoors you can stand or lay down have a stove or not 4 season tent and under 4 pounds for the tent.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 PM

I use floorless tipi tent or hammock. Learned really quick that the hammock can be cold on your back with out decent insulation underneath. I have never used the hammock in anything less than 10 celsius. Hammocks overall will likely weigh more than a UL tent.
I do love my tipi tent and at around 2.5 lbs its quite light.

If your looking into buying hammock lots come with a built in bug net which is convenient and usually warranted. I got one for cheap on amazon before that does the job and has a bug net, not the lightest or best quality but works for those one or 2 night trips you want to be mobile and flat tent areas are not plentiful.

Both options will work with some tweaking, good luck with whatever you get and enjoy the outdoors!
Old 05-11-2020, 07:01 PM

Have you seen the tree tents you can order thew Canadian tire .
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygIegUIARCuAg
Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 PM

Hammocks don't work for me, I can only sleep on my belly. I use a two person ultralight tent. Perfect for me and my gear. I'm considering a tipi tent with a wood stove for late season hunts. I'd like a place to warm up and dry gear.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 PM

Default Hammocks

check out HammockForums.net
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 PM

I looked into this.

Hammocks are complicated affairs but some very seasoned outdoorsmen prefer them.

Bivvy or single pole tent usually less to pack and easier to configure. Right choice for most people.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 PM

I find my hammock system is quite heavy and gets bulky as the weather cools. I’ve taken out backcountry but it wouldn’t be my first option when lightweight is preferred. Can’t really split up the weight like you can a multi person tent too
Old 05-19-2020, 08:36 PM

I have no personal experience using tent hammocks but went on a mid summer canoe trip with a few guys back in Ontario that used them. It was a cool week (maybe 8-12 c at night), and they were shivering all night. I had to lend one my emergency blanket which made a big difference for him. Ground provides you much more insulation value than hanging in the cool ambient air. For warm evenings they would be nice for sure but I don’t see their practicality for most other situations.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:39 PM

I prefer a bivy With an air mattress. it’s warmer, just as uncomfortable as the hammock and you don’t have to find trees that can blow in the wind.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHunter1 View Post
I have no personal experience using tent hammocks but went on a mid summer canoe trip with a few guys back in Ontario that used them. It was a cool week (maybe 8-12 c at night), and they were shivering all night. I had to lend one my emergency blanket which made a big difference for him. Ground provides you much more insulation value than hanging in the cool ambient air. For warm evenings they would be nice for sure but I don’t see their practicality for most other situations.
Serious hammock campers sling a under quilt below them for warmth. I have used my set up in temps well below freezing and have Been warm.

Hammock tips:
Make sure you get a fairly long hammock( I'm 5'6" and use an 11' er)
Hang it so it's tethers sit at approx 30deg angle when loaded.
I like to tie a string (10") long to each tether and let it dangle so if it rains it acts as a drip wick and the water won't wick up to your bag.
Hang your under quilt so there's about 1" of airspace between it and the hammock when loaded. If it touches the under quilt you will lose a certain amount of loft and reduce its R value.
Sleep on a hammock diagonally. When properly positioned you will be laying flat. Sleeping bent like a banana hurts my back even thinking about it.
Your cover tarp is pulled diagonally and staked down to shed rain.

It's not for every situation for sure but when hiking/ hunting in thick hilly areas where flat pitching spots are hard to find its a good option
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM

I've considered the hammock but for all the negatives, the only advantage I could come up with was the all-terrain feature - could even set it up on a steep slope!
My current setup (don't laugh): a couple of 8x10 Canadian Tire tarps. Add cordage and you're all-in for 20 bucks. Both pros and cons compared to tent but I bet you'll never use your $400 MSR to skid your downed animal across the snow or protect your meat for the multiple pack-outs.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Tent because sometimes trees are just not available
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Totally depends on where you hunt wether it's a benefit or not. I do find I sleep better in a hammock than on a pad on the ground. But sometimes a tarp tent or tipi is clearly a better option.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterJam View Post
I've considered the hammock but for all the negatives, the only advantage I could come up with was the all-terrain feature - could even set it up on a steep slope!
My current setup (don't laugh): a couple of 8x10 Canadian Tire tarps. Add cordage and you're all-in for 20 bucks. Both pros and cons compared to tent but I bet you'll never use your $400 MSR to skid your downed animal across the snow or protect your meat for the multiple pack-outs.
I have a 10x10 silpoly tarp I use as well. Set up similar to a super tarp. Last summer I built my own annex for it. Works great for a light quick shelter
Old 05-23-2020, 02:16 PM

I have used tarps, biv bags, lightweight tents, and hammocks. There is a time and place for each depending on the terrain and weather. My fav is the lightweight tarp for general purpose use. The tent usually comes out for when I am planning to be in the rocks and above the tree-line. The hammock tent only for warm weather here in the northern hemisphere or any adventure in the tropics.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Serious hammock campers sling a under quilt below them for warmth. I have used my set up in temps well below freezing and have Been warm.

Hammock tips:
Make sure you get a fairly long hammock( I'm 5'6" and use an 11' er)
Hang it so it's tethers sit at approx 30deg angle when loaded.
I like to tie a string (10") long to each tether and let it dangle so if it rains it acts as a drip wick and the water won't wick up to your bag.
Hang your under quilt so there's about 1" of airspace between it and the hammock when loaded. If it touches the under quilt you will lose a certain amount of loft and reduce its R value.
Sleep on a hammock diagonally. When properly positioned you will be laying flat. Sleeping bent like a banana hurts my back even thinking about it.
Your cover tarp is pulled diagonally and staked down to shed rain.

It's not for every situation for sure but when hiking/ hunting in thick hilly areas where flat pitching spots are hard to find its a good option

This.
Under quilt and 30 degree angle are key.
I hunt and hike where there are no shortage large trees. If I were more alpine, I’d be getting less quality sleep and using a tent. But a hammock on the ground on a mountain top wouldn’t be so great lol
Old 06-26-2020, 12:00 AM

I prefer a tent or bivy for sheep hunting.