Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Glad to see the work paid off, nice bear!

Looking forward to the story.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 PM

Nice bear guys. The golden mile!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM

Sorry for the delay been in and out of reception and a lot has gone on this trip!

Started with getting some new action of the bait site so to target that bear we headed up Saturday night after putting the kids to sleep.

Got up to camp and set up by midnight. Slept till 4 and headed into the tree stands under the cover of dark. Always fun in bear country going into a bait in the dark haha

My buddy was on the trigger first because it’s his FIRST bear hunt his FIRST archery hunt and his FIRST tree stand hunt!! Excited to say the least!

7:30am the target bear rolls into the bait checks it out and then rolls out leaving my buddy frustrated that he didn’t take the shot when he stood there for a few moments but we both thought the beat was going to get comfortable and eat.

Feeling down and tons of regret not sure if we would get another chance on him. The best rolls back in at 9:30 this time committing to the bait and starts snacking. Feeling a bit rushed this time my buddy laid the snack down on the bear at a slight quartering to shot but placement looked great. That bear immediately wizzes and runs off crashing around in the bush.

I filmed the whole thing and we played the shot back in slow mo many times analyzing the shot. By all accounts it looked lethal. We went in to find blood and found a good trail so we backed out for 2 hrs to give the bear so time.

After two hours we begin the search. Following a good blood trail for about 80 yards then the blood went dry. Completely dry!! On our hands and knees turning over leaves, looking and low for blood absolutely nothing!!

So we reverted to grid searching. This was no easy task as our bait is right on the ridge of a creek valley that goes down 300 feet to the river in a hurry.

After 5 hours of up down side to side we could not find him any way. We went back to the last know. Looks numerous times trying to pick it up. We looked up in trees. Walked the river banks NOTHING! All we could figure is it made it back to its den or in a hole and we just can’t find it or the shot wasn’t lethal and that bear is miles away.

Feeling defeated and remorse we headed back to camp to re group. Not really how u want your first archery hunt to go and it’s my buddies first time never retrieving an animal it took a lot to pick up our spirits and head out for the evening hunt.

We decided to head into a hot spot I know of for spot and stalk. We got into the area around 6:30pm and headed to what I call the tri fecta of cut lines, it’s a great spot where u can see three awesome cuts from one spot. As we drive down the road to get into position to glass you can see up the south facing cut first and once we put eyes on that cut there was a big black dot up on the top end of the cut!! BEAR!!

So we wheeled back up top where the cut starts and got out of the truck. The cut has some rolling hills that u need to crest to see down it. As we started the stalk we get to the first roll peek over nothing. Work our way to the next roll peek over and there he is! Beautiful big old warrior sitting there grazing away. No clue we were inside 50 yards of him.

My buddy get his gun ready and we inch closer. Then we pop up to get full view of the bear and the bear is looking the opposite direction. My buddy hammers him with one shot and he drops where he stood!!! Big bore down!!

What a crazy day of highs and lows! Still feeling crappy about not being able to find that bear but this made things a little sweeter!!

1 of 4 tags filled. Heading back up on Saturday with my son in tow so the adventure continues! Stay tuned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2020, 02:43 PM

Nice bear. Check near the bait where you lost the first one regularly over the next few days. If the bear is down you will see bird and coyote activity on the carcass. At least it will allow you to locate it and confirm the kill. Will also tell you a lot about how and where it traveled from the last place you saw blood. Will help develop your tracking skills for the next time. Tracking in dry grass on steep hills is not easy, lots of guys have lost well hit bears. Not pleasant but it happens.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:15 PM

I know guys like quartering shots but in my camp we wound the most bears that way. Arrows are so fast it's hard to see how ribs will turn the arrow.
I sat with a guy years ago and at 12 yards he took the shot on a behemoth. As the arrow struck in I saw a crazy whip of fletching then nothing. I was questioning what I saw but figured it a dead bear.
Same situation as yours blood heavy for a hundred yards then none. One of the few we've lost.
No way to prevent it, the shot sometimes just does odd things. I hate that we can't use a leashed dog when needed to clean up the situation. A bear is too beautiful a trophy to not use whatever means to recover.
They always seem to die right on the other side of a log or in a depression or brush pile where you have to be on top of them to see.
Good luck
Osky
Old 05-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I know guys like quartering shots but in my camp we wound the most bears that way. Arrows are so fast it's hard to see how ribs will turn the arrow.
I sat with a guy years ago and at 12 yards he took the shot on a behemoth. As the arrow struck in I saw a crazy whip of fletching then nothing. I was questioning what I saw but figured it a dead bear.
Same situation as yours blood heavy for a hundred yards then none. One of the few we've lost.
No way to prevent it, the shot sometimes just does odd things. I hate that we can't use a leashed dog when needed to clean up the situation. A bear is too beautiful a trophy to not use whatever means to recover.
They always seem to die right on the other side of a log or in a depression or brush pile where you have to be on top of them to see.
Good luck
Osky

Agreed 100% we were saying the same thing no more shots unless fully broad side and not being able to use a dog to recover is the worst rule in the book and Should be changed. A lot less animals would be lost which is a good thing. That was his first animal loss in many years of elk, moose and deer hunting. It was his first bear hunt and first hunt with a bow. But he’s determined to do better next time. I know how he feels

Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Definitely unfortunate but a good opportunity to learn. Fortunate he had a supplemental tag and was able to connect on another great bear.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:29 PM

Sucks your partner lost his bear. Congrats on the one he did harvest. Like mentioned keep an eye out for birds wolves coyotes. They’re good indicators where he might be lying. I’ve crawled in the grass weed brambles roses looking for blood. It’s not easy to do with a heavy heart. Second guessing yourself all the while.

Best of luck on your hunt. I’m hoping you find another Leroy in your new area!

BW
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 PM

Congrats to your buddy on the great bear. Tough luck on the first one if it is nice & calm and you sit quiet after the shot you will be able to hear the death moan of a lethally hit bear if it hasn’t made it too far from where it was shot. Sometimes it happens right away sometimes it takes a little while depending on where the shot placement was. Sometimes they make almost a full circle and are now where near the direction you last seen it after the shot.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Congrats to your buddy on the great bear. Tough luck on the first one if it is nice & calm and you sit quiet after the shot you will be able to hear the death moan of a lethally hit bear if it hasn’t made it too far from where it was shot. Sometimes it happens right away sometimes it takes a little while depending on where the shot placement was. Sometimes they make almost a full circle and are now where near the direction you last seen it after the shot.
And to add to this, at times if you could not find the bear, I big boar might just drag the bear to his bedding area and eat it in peace.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Definitely unfortunate but a good opportunity to learn. Fortunate he had a supplemental tag and was able to connect on another great bear.
He wouldn’t have needed a supplemental tag, you don’t have to fold your tag on a wounded/ lost animal in Alberta.

Beauty bear regardless!!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
He wouldn’t have needed a supplemental tag, you don’t have to fold your tag on a wounded/ lost animal in Alberta.

Beauty bear regardless!!

That’s true you don’t but my buddy is a class act and folded that tag as he feels it’s a dead bear we just could not find it and he feels it’s the right thing to do. Solid decision in my books

Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
That’s true you don’t but my buddy is a class act and folded that tag as he feels it’s a dead bear we just could not find it and he feels it’s the right thing to do. Solid decision in my books

Class act for sure
Old 05-15-2020, 10:12 PM

Default Solid dude for sure

[QUOTE=Hugenuge;4170724]That’s true you don’t but my buddy is a class act and folded that tag as he feels it’s a dead bear we just could not find it and he feels it’s the right thing to do. Solid decision in my books

^^^^ 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post

Class act indeed.

Also, you never know if you stumble upon it/recover late (or next day or few days).
Old 05-15-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
Class act indeed.

Also, you never know if you stumble upon it/recover late (or next day or few days).

We are heading back there tomorrow night for the weekend so we will be looking again that’s for sure!!

Old 05-16-2020, 04:31 PM

when you say river if its a big fast flowing one bear could be gone.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:26 PM

Another good bear hitting the bait!! Heading up now to get in on the bait for A morning hunt. Time to fill my tags!

Bring my little guy up for his 3rd bear season but first sitting on a bait and he is beyond pumped!!

Plan is to be up there for the next two days. Sitting on baits and spot and stalking! Should be another great adventure!!

Old 05-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Bears are tremendously hard on elk, moose and deer fawns and calves. When you have a dozen different bears hitting a bait you are doing the ungulates a big favor taking some of them out.

Hope your son has just a great time. I remember how excited I was when I was young and got to go hunting with my dad. These are memories neither of you will ever forget.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:49 AM

In the tree and ready to go!!

Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM

Well the morning was a good one. We got in the tree around 6am had a cub show up only to spook off. Then around 8:30 my son wanted to get out of the tree and go to camp so my buddy took him back. Plan was to pick me up at 11am.

Right at a 11 this bear shows up to the bait. As it’s coming in I can see it’s got a crease in its forehead to I assume it’s my target bear. Now I am thinking oh great my buddy/son will be here any moment to push the bear off haha. As u know it my son got his boots stuck in the mud before coming to get me causing them a 15 min delay. All I needed to smack this decent bear.

I double lung the bear it went 40 yards and expired. My son shows up literally 3 minutes after it all happened and got to be a part of his very first bear kill!

The story doesn’t end there as I said I assumed it was my target bear but after we left the bait my cellular cam sends me these pics

He’s in there right after we left which is crazy because we were in there cheering, laughing, pulling another bear out all the while he’s waiting on the fringe fro me to leave!!

Needless to say tag number two has a target and we are going back in tonight!

Old 05-17-2020, 05:14 PM

Good job wondering why is the bear paw cut off

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Because bear paw wife said he'd had enough?
Happens to me all the time.

Sorry Whelen, smart butt me. I suspect it's a meat bear and no use for the hide?

Osky
Old 05-17-2020, 06:16 PM

I believe you have to keep the hide in Alberta

Old 05-17-2020, 06:21 PM

Nice shot Huge.... Put it thru the boilers and they never get away.

I was baiting one day just before noon with my son and suddenly had THAT feeling at the site. I had him take the stand quietly while I strapped his wheeler to mine to pull it away.
He took the one we were after within minutes of my leaving, it came in while he could hear me driving off. Squared up at 7'3" a nice scarred up boar.
That bear had never done that before on camera, I think it shows just how close they are laying up and how important it is to give them that bedding area when setting up the location.
Osky
Old 05-17-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Keeping the hide for my son but not doing a typical claws and head in rug just doing a nice throw rug for him!

Old 05-17-2020, 11:58 PM

Target bear down!!! Unreal day unreal hunt on this Alberta brute! Two bears two arrows. This one heart shot 15 yards on the ground! Full story and pics tomorrow. To tuckered out to do a good write up. Bear season done! Daddy son date a success!! Feeling blessed. God is good! To be continued tomorrow!!

Old 05-18-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Nice shot Huge.... Put it thru the boilers and they never get away.

I was baiting one day just before noon with my son and suddenly had THAT feeling at the site. I had him take the stand quietly while I strapped his wheeler to mine to pull it away.
He took the one we were after within minutes of my leaving, it came in while he could hear me driving off. Squared up at 7'3" a nice scarred up boar.
That bear had never done that before on camera, I think it shows just how close they are laying up and how important it is to give them that bedding area when setting up the location.
Osky

Wow that’s an awesome story! Unreal bear! That old trick really works well doesn’t it!

Old 05-18-2020, 05:44 AM

Congrats Nuge.

TBark
Old 05-18-2020, 06:59 AM

Huge.. Great job on the second bear!
We only have a fall season so critical to my baits is a nearby bedding area they are comfortable in.
Its warm here 1st of September when season opens so bears like to lay up in swampy very thick cover. They want some dry ground to sleep, but spend a lot of daytime in moist wet "wallows". I want those wallows to be opposite direction from where we come in, and I want solid heavy cover from wallows right to the bait.
After season or kill I go into those wallows and check them out thouroghly. Great learning experience going thru those brushy "tunnels" figuring out what the bears were doing and what happened overall.

osky