Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Default Draw Priority

Do you guys think that some draws will drop in priority level this year with COVID? I usually need a 4 to get my moose and I am at 3 right now, wondering if I should just try it and hope that more people just 999 their draws.

Thoughts ?
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 PM

I think it will be the opposite... you may need to be a 6 this year for that draw or more.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:04 PM

Some people may not want to take time off work, other people will be more anxious to hunt after being cooped up for months.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 PM

If it’s a hunt you won’t be taking time off work for or you could use the holidays for a different hunt I say apply and try your luck
Old 05-13-2020, 07:10 PM

Just put in for it. What do you have to lose? If you get it, great! If not, you get another year of priority

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some people may not want to take time off work, other people will be more anxious to hunt after being cooped up for months.
x2

Different people will have different reasons to be more or less interested.

I'm already doing more than usual with a spring bear push, but know others who may 999 things they may otherwise have put in for.

If you can make it out, I hope your 3 is as good as a 4 this season. Cheers.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Banned

999 for me.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:10 PM

Anything could happen.

I suspect there will be much fewer non-resident hunters. If the guides can't fill their allocations then we might see some more tags made available.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:18 PM

What is this 999 thing?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
What is this 999 thing?
You increase your priority but don't put in for a specific zone and won't be drawn for the hunt.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:04 PM

Just put in and find out. If you think less people are going to put in for draws cause of covid19 then that’s exciting news for all of us that put in for goat draws.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
You increase your priority but don't put in for a specific zone and won't be drawn for the hunt.
I believe the old "999" is now changed to "Priority Only" (started last year).
Old 05-14-2020, 05:42 AM

Might drop because you can not travel in the same truck with your hunting partner because of covid 19
Old 05-14-2020, 05:50 AM

It's a crap shoot as to what will happen this year, trying to figure out what other people are thinking or will do is a long shot at best. There could be more people entering the draws this year based on the fact that they have more time and are short of meat. On the other hand if money is tight they may just enter priority only and save their points for later or just not bother this year.

Personally I think there will be less applicants based on the fact people were out of work for an extended period and are short of cash, add to that the fact that they now have to purchase a wildlife certificate before entering the draw, which now essentially makes them spend about $30 extra just to enter. This will stop some of the people that just entered their wives, mothers or girlfriends, to get priority points none of whom bought a hunting license unless they got drawn.

But like I said it's all a crap shoot, enter and take your chances, for those of us that bought a wildlife certificate every year the only thing that changed is we now purchase it in May instead of September, and if you went spring bear hunting you already have one so no big deal.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM

As my first year entering the draw, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything comes of it. I've done a few hunts with friends with just general tags.

Once the results are in, I'll let you guys know how I did (low expectations).
Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 PM

More unemployed needing to harvest for their family. I say more hunters this year and more problems in field due to less enforcement. Thus needing higher priority to get drawn. IMO.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
I believe the old "999" is now changed to "Priority Only" (started last year).
Kind of what I was getting at...
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 PM

How come there were 13,000 applicants for goats last year and 3 tags available but nobody got drawn. was everyone 999? thoughts?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM

Yeah I will be interested to see how this year goes as well.

My brother and I were thinking about putting in for bull moose about 3 hrs away from
Where we live, but due to travel restriction uncertainty and the possibility of a “second wave” this fall and what that might mean, he doesn’t feel comfortable using up the moose priority in the case that we cant travel/hunt/stay at family’s place.

I also think that there are a lot of people who see the lack of beef/red meat supply going on right now that this has brought on and want to secure some quality red meat. Combine this with unemployment skyrocketing going forward and people will need cost effective protein and may have a lot more time on their hands... mind you in my experience my wild game usually costs me at least $100/lb, haha. Don’t tell the wife, but can guarantee that if the one concern was cost effective meat, every single season it would be much cheaper to find a local rancher and buya quarter or two!

Will be an interesting fall regardless!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJay View Post
How come there were 13,000 applicants for goats last year and 3 tags available but nobody got drawn. was everyone 999? thoughts?
You cant 999 on the goat draw... although it would be funny if they let you on a random draw.
3 people did get drawn... I suspect your looking at the 0 in the priority column and not the 1 beside that for drawn.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 PM

I have a hard time believing it will change anything.

Either most people are cooped up and afraid to come out in fall, people are cooped up and can't wait to come out in fall, or people haven't bought into the covid cr@p at all and everything is just as it was.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I have a hard time believing it will change anything.

Either most people are cooped up and afraid to come out in fall, people are cooped up and can't wait to come out in fall, or people haven't bought into the covid cr@p at all and everything is just as it was.
Good luck getting permission if covid is still around in the fall. Lots of landowners won't answer the door and won't answer the phone either!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 PM

It could go both ways.

If guys have been slow all year and then work gets busy during hunting season, they probably won't be booking time off. If things are slow for people they could hunt more with all that time off or less if it's a long trip to their hunting area.

I don't think it will have a big effect either way.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 PM

I hear the elk in southern Alberta carry the Rona and it’s twice as dangerous to people as Norma Rona. I have a friend who works as a bio and they have been studying it best not put in for an elk draw just to be safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 PM

I'm going to assume based on Covid & fee change that it will be like a bonus point this year and a half point creep next year.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
You cant 999 on the goat draw... although it would be funny if they let you on a random draw.
3 people did get drawn... I suspect your looking at the 0 in the priority column and not the 1 beside that for drawn.

yup definitely read it wrong. thanks
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Good luck getting permission if covid is still around in the fall. Lots of landowners won't answer the door and won't answer the phone either!
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Good point.

Glad all my landowners are still lined up from last year. I have about a 50% chance for antlered muley this year. Fingers crossed.