Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku88 View Post
im available
PM me your cell number
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-25-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
PM me your cell number
If you have been here before… PM me that you are coming.

Perch need some hook learnings.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-26-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
im available
Great meeting you. Perch were small today but definitely plentiful.

You will be a perch master in no time.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Great meeting you. Perch were small today but definitely plentiful.

You will be a perch master in no time.
it was lots of fun for me too. lighter gears would definitely help.you guys great job taking care of pest
Old 12-29-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
it was lots of fun for me too. lighter gears would definitely help.you guys great job taking care of pest
I’m likely going to bonk some perch after lunch
Old 12-30-2022, 01:23 PM

Default Tons of small perch

So many small perch makes for a very busy day catching however the only way to eat them would be deep fried.

I’m going to slay a pile here tomorrow if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:02 PM

Ever tried pickling them small ones?? Betcha once scaled theyd be pretty good IMO
Old 12-30-2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Ever tried pickling them small ones?? Betcha once scaled theyd be pretty good IMO
I personally haven’t but of all the folks I’ve had fish with me a number of them said they do and that they are delicious.

They are also great gutted and beheaded and deep fried whole otherwise.

I need to get me a deep fryer and a great salt and pepper baby perch recipe. We need someone with a propane deep fryer and just catch, cook and eat as we go.

Although that would be a ton of calories lol.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:20 AM

Hey! For some reason I can’t seem to send out a pm. When are you planning on going today? Kids and I are looking for something to do.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Hey! For some reason I can’t seem to send out a pm. When are you planning on going today? Kids and I are looking for something to do.
See you shortly. Looks like a nice day.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I personally haven’t but of all the folks I’ve had fish with me a number of them said they do and that they are delicious.

They are also great gutted and beheaded and deep fried whole otherwise.

I need to get me a deep fryer and a great salt and pepper baby perch recipe. We need someone with a propane deep fryer and just catch, cook and eat as we go.

Although that would be a ton of calories lol.

I have a a big ol deep fryer collecting dust over in Deer Run
Old 12-31-2022, 05:24 PM

Thanks again Sundance! We had a very nice time out there!
Old 12-31-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Thanks again Sundance! We had a very nice time out there!
Those kids of yours are top notch. Great looking family. Your son is shaping up to be a fishing beast.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygrump View Post
I have a a big ol deep fryer collecting dust over in Deer Run
Iiissss. That and offer to cook for us? 😉
Old 03-07-2023, 01:19 PM

I’ve met a ton of great folks fishing over the years.

Looks like warmer weather is coming. That means the end of ice fishing is coming with it.

So I am going to be hammering the perch daily as soon as we start getting above zero temps and reasonable wind.

If you want to come fishing, please send me a pm. Posting here is good as a reminder also. In your PM leave your name and cell number and when you want to come and how many anglers you have. I’ll touch base with you and set the day and time and meeting place.

All perch will be kept. All trout released. There is a bathroom at the lodge should you need it. Bring your lunch and chair and drinks and snacks.

Gear that’s best is ultra light rods with spring bobbers or properly sized floating bobbers. 3-5 mm tungsten jigs in chartreuse, yellow, orange etc. maggots for bait to start and eyeballs and maggots after. 4-6 lb test. Braid is fine but a fluoro leader should be put on.

Just before the cold I was getting 60 perch an hour.

Average size is 5-6 inch but occasionally a bigger one. Huge schools means the bigger ones have a harder time reaching the hook first.

On a nice sunny day you can’t find a better way to spend a day in the city.

Bring buckets/bags for perch.

Small perch can be headed, gutted, battered and deep fried crispy.

If you don’t have hooks I can sell a few for 2 for $5.

Kids are always welcome. Great to see youngsters catching fish.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:26 PM

I have some people coming tomorrow. Looking like more lined up for the weekend.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:04 AM

Anyone want to bonk some perch before the ice rots?
Old 02-21-2024, 06:00 PM

I’ve had a number of folks take me up on this and get out to catch perch. We caught over a hundred today in 3 hours plus released a number of trout.

Great to see some guys bringing their kids out.

For those of you who have come already it’s been a pleasure spending time outdoors with you all.

Sun
Old 02-21-2024, 09:09 PM

Myself and young son went to sundance on the weekend and just want to say we had a fabulous time. No lack of perch and the bonus trout every so often makes it alot of fun. Sundancefisher is an upstanding guy and kudos to him for making it a great experience!!
Old 02-21-2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta1994 View Post
Myself and young son went to sundance on the weekend and just want to say we had a fabulous time. No lack of perch and the bonus trout every so often makes it alot of fun. Sundancefisher is an upstanding guy and kudos to him for making it a great experience!!
Great seeing kids fishing and the way you spent time patiently fishing with your son, showed me your one great dad!

Great meeting you both.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:41 AM

Default So, I suspect you've heard this one before...

...but I'm going to ask it anyhow.

In our community we have a storm pond that has been "invaded" by goldfish. Tens of thousands of 2-3 inch things. And while I wouldn't go so far as to call them an eyesore, they are a non-native ecological risk (in the case of escapement).

As I was walking by one day, it occurred to me that some predation might be in order. I think you know where I'm going.

But honestly, what's the worst that could happen? Here's my scenarios (worst to best): 1) The perch don't establish themselves and the goldfish numbers maintain (status quo). 2) Next worst would be the perch wipe out the goldfish and stunt themselves out. But the ecological risk of thousands of 5 inch perch vs. tens of thousands of goldfish is still better, no? 3) By some miracle a balance of perch vs. goldfish numbers is achieved whereby the ecological risk of the goldfish is significantly lessened, while a certain recreational value from the perch is attained.

Ok, I know it's a harebrained idea, but on the face of it, are there any real downsides to trying?
Old 03-15-2024, 06:42 AM

The result will be another pond full of stunted perch to act as a reservoir for the next transportation scheme.

There is a growing list of places where goldfish are being killed off by the application of rotenone. I spoke to a consultant recently who said that they recently have been using a reformulated Rotenone 2. There has to be a plan developed for these actions and money available to hire professionals to do the job.

Hopefully the word will get out to the masses that moving fish around is illegal and has negative ecological results
Old 03-15-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasPed View Post

In our community we have a storm pond that has been "invaded" by goldfish. Tens of thousands of 2-3 inch things. And while I wouldn't go so far as to call them an eyesore, they are a non-native ecological risk (in the case of escapement).

As I was walking by one day, it occurred to me that some predation might be in order. I think you know where I'm going.

But honestly, what's the worst that could happen? Here's my scenarios (worst to best): 1) The perch don't establish themselves and the goldfish numbers maintain (status quo). 2) Next worst would be the perch wipe out the goldfish and stunt themselves out. But the ecological risk of thousands of 5 inch perch vs. tens of thousands of goldfish is still better, no? 3) By some miracle a balance of perch vs. goldfish numbers is achieved whereby the ecological risk of the goldfish is significantly lessened, while a certain recreational value from the perch is attained.

Ok, I know it's a harebrained idea, but on the face of it, are there any real downsides to trying?

Need a few pike in there to really clean it up lol
Old 03-15-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:

If this is Calgary, it is illegal to stock and to fish in a storm pond. Probably everywhere it is the same. Govern yourself accordingly!!
WDF
Old 03-15-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
If this is Calgary, it is illegal to stock and to fish in a storm pond. Probably everywhere it is the same. Govern yourself accordingly!!
WDF
I did not realize it was illegal to fish a storm pond, so that's certainly a problem (it definitely limits the recreational benefit of perch in the pond). Too bad - I really think if someone put a couple dozen perch in that pond, they would have a great fishery for at least 5 years, until the perch stunted out. (Of course that's my George Costanza "I'm a marine biologist" opinion.)
Old 03-15-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The result will be another pond full of stunted perch to act as a reservoir for the next transportation scheme.

There is a growing list of places where goldfish are being killed off by the application of rotenone. I spoke to a consultant recently who said that they recently have been using a reformulated Rotenone 2. There has to be a plan developed for these actions and money available to hire professionals to do the job.

Hopefully the word will get out to the masses that moving fish around is illegal and has negative ecological results
I agree that this is probably the best approach. Still, a guy can dream, can't he?
Old 03-15-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I did not realize it was illegal to fish a storm pond)
It is illegal to even touch the water, no joke, there are signs at every storm pond, at least the ones I walk around them in Calgary.