Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Muskrats & HAGz system

Just wondering how many of you fella's are getting ready for fall muskrat season & are going to use or try the HAGz system . Considering the system for making things a little simpler . Good luck , Cheers
Old 09-22-2018, 12:14 PM

After seeing Rich’s episode on the system and the space it saves vs. floats I invested, hope things perform as expected in the field. Good luck and stay safe this season.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM

We just tried them last week in dugouts. Averaged 10 a day/4days. We got 7 muskrats but may not have had much population to work with though. We did have a problem with tripped 120s, some were straight out and some were at a 90. Will watch the episode again, maybe set a little deeper next week.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 AM

Oops, didn't read my previous post clearly before posting. We averaged 10 traps a day not 10 muskrat. So 40 trap days overall with 7 rats. Not great but I won't build floats again, just need more practice. The dug outs had a limited number of test subjects but gotta figure out why the tripped traps. Sorry for any confusion .
Doug
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM

Default hagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Oops, didn't read my previous post clearly before posting. We averaged 10 traps a day not 10 muskrat. So 40 trap days overall with 7 rats. Not great but I won't build floats again, just need more practice. The dug outs had a limited number of test subjects but gotta figure out why the tripped traps. Sorry for any confusion .
Doug
Ok Doug thanks , yes agree 7 rats not good but if there's more of them then there's good potential for better numbers . I can see if a person has a big area or lots of spots with rats then it will eventually pay off . I'll have to break down & invest , just hope it's worth it for the 5 areas I have . We'll see starting October 15 TH for numbers if low then I can always sell the equipment . Hope your numbers pick up .
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM

It's only September, we're just taking some problem animals for a farmer while looking for elk. They are a long way from prime but the Hagz clips should work well enough. But gonna watch the Trapping Inc episode on youtube again.
Good luck
Doug
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Rats on poles is a sound concept. A few years before the Hagz came on the scene, I was introduced to the method with Sudden Valley clips by the PA Fox trapper, Phil Brown. He was running to North Dakota trapping rats in the spring using solely fiberglas poles w Duke 1 1/2 coils, and absolutely lambasting the rats on them, thru the brief $10 rat run we had. He was pulling in excess of 200 rats per day and was making a killing!

I used the Sudden Valley system extensively and was having 130+ rat 3/4 days. I posted some Sudden Valley rat pole videos on this forum quite a while back but photobucket went stupid and destroyed their service.

If I was to do it again, it would be all Hagz, 100%

Floats are too much to carry in stable water. A good thing tho for fluctuating water conditions tho.