Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Long Gun Registry Poll - Get your vote in

The poll appears about one page down on the right hand side of the page.
Please log on and vote.
http://www.630ched.com

"What do you think of the long gun registry?"

- - It helps police and Canadian citizens.

- - It's a waste of money.

Poll is restricted to one vote every 2 hour(s).
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM

Sorry WB, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think participating in little, obscure polls like this is a waist of our collective time.

I would much rather see us spend our time more effectively. One good example would be lobbying our MPs ... they are the ones who will be voting on this matter in Parliament soon.

TF
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was in the Toronto Sun and it gives the names of the MPs' who voted in favor of Bill C-391.
I'm in the process of sending each of them an email congratulating them on their stand to this time, and asking that they follow through so that I and other legitimate firearm owners don't be made to feel like criminals because of a highly inefficent and wasteful program when the money could be spent on a much more beefed up and effective police force.
If you get that chance, you might want to do the same.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../13302801.html

MP: Gun registry ‘an embarrassment’

By Kathleen Harris,
mailto:kathleen.harris@sunmedia.ca
National Bureau Chief
Last Updated: March 20, 2010 7:09pm

OTTAWA — Canada’s gun control system is “terribly broken” and scrapping the long-gun registry is key to getting it back on track, says the MP spearheading a legislative push to kill the registry.
Delivering a keynote address at the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters annual general meeting and Fish & Wildlife Conference in Mississauga Saturday night, Manitoba Tory MP Candice Hoeppner called the registry “an albatross and an embarrassment.” With her private member’s bill to abolish the registry, C-391, now at committee stage, she admits she is an unlikely advocate for the gun issue as a blond-haired woman who wears high heels and has no hunting experience.
But Hoeppner has taken up the fight because she believes the registry is a waste of time and resources and insists it must be dismantled, not “fixed.”
“When something is fundamentally as flawed and built on such a faulty idea as the long-gun registry it has to be ripped out in order to fix the whole system,” she said.
Hoeppner’s address comes a day after Public Safety Minister Vic Toews announced the extension of an amnesty on the registry that the Tories have granted annually since taking office in 2006. Hoeppner said the registry, which is supported by many top police brass across Canada, does nothing to stop murders and ties up law enforcement officers with probes on administration offences when they could be fighting real crime.
“Instead of focusing on making sure guns do not get into the wrong hands, we put all of our time and energy into following around law-abiding Canadians who may not have some paper work filled out on their hunting rifle,” she said. “If we end the long-gun registry, I believe we will free up our police officers to be able to do their job to the full extent.”
Hoeppner said the key to ending the registry for good is to intensely lobby a group 20 opposition MPs who have supported its abolishment in past.
“The Liberals and NDP who supported this bill should show their commitment to ending the long-gun registry by standing up to their leaders and those in their own party who want to stop the bill in committee,” she said, urging supporters of the bill to make phone calls and write letters.
The 20 MPs targeted by the Tories:
Malcolm Allen (NDP)
Charlie Angus (NDP)
Andre Arthur (Independent)
Niki Ashton (NDP)
Larry Bagnell (Liberal)
Dennis Bevington (NDP)
Nathan Cullen (NDP)
Jean-Claude D’Amours (Liberal)
Wayne Easter (Liberal)
Claude Gravelle (NDP)
Carol Hughes (NDP)
Bruce Hyer (NDP)
Jim Maloway (NDP)
Keith Martin (Liberal)
John Rafferty (NDP)
Anthony Rota (Liberal)
Todd Russell (Liberal)
Scott Simms (Liberal)
Peter Stoffer (NDP)
Glenn Thibeault (NDP)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry WB, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think participating in little, obscure polls like this is a waist of our collective time.

I would much rather see us spend our time more effectively. One good example would be lobbying our MPs ... they are the ones who will be voting on this matter in Parliament soon
x2

What also should be considered is that the antigun drivel is pushed on students in universities by the politically active.

Best time to get them is when their young, and help them form their opinions then. This technique is used by the political left all the time. We need to do something about that as well. Force the politically active to keep their opinions to their selves and educate the childeren with proper corriculum, not left wing drivel. Sadly nobody seems to try to do something about that.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

I would much rather see us spend our time more effectively. One good example would be lobbying our MPs ... they are the ones who will be voting on this matter in Parliament soon.

TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsman View Post
x2

What also should be considered is that the antigun drivel is pushed on students in universities by the politically active.

Best time to get them is when their young, and help them form their opinions then. This technique is used by the political left all the time. We need to do something about that as well. Force the politically active to keep their opinions to their selves and educate the childeren with proper corriculum, not left wing drivel. Sadly nobody seems to try to do something about that.
x3 Absolutley no disrespect given or taken. Just keeping the topic in the collective mind.

The second post is worth the effort. Show your support for the politicians who voted to eliminate the long gun registry.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:52 PM

Money grab!